Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Speaker panel template measurements  (Read 13164 times)

TheBrokentoken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
Speaker panel template measurements
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:47:12 pm »
Has anyone who is using the same speakers and grille's as the book run into an issue with the template placement measurements given in the book?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:49:25 pm by AllCammedUp »
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com

isucamper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
Re: Speaker panel template measurements
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:26:06 am »
Three years later:

YES!

The description says to subtract the difference (length and width) of the speakers and the grills, and then divide by two.

However, then it does the math for the Klipsch speakers and the midway grills, and it doesn't divide by two.  It ends up saying to position your templates, 1 and 1/4 inch from the half inch line in front and  1 and 7/8 inches from the lines at the sides. 

I went ahead and cut my speaker holes like this.  I had the grills on order so I couldn't see first hand how it lined up.  Got the grills yesterday and sure enough, my cutouts lay at the very edge of the speaker grill rather than in the middle.  If I had thought about the math at all, I would have caught this, but I instead trusted what was written. 

:banghead:

It probably doesn't matter as the grill still covers the hole (barely) but I'm worried about the sound from the two speakers not being spaced out enough.  I will probably take off the top angled section and recut the speaker shelf to correct this.  I haven't painted yet so it shouldn't be too impossible to change. 

Wish I hadn't been so impatient and just waited for the grills to show up.  It would have been obvious if I had laid the grill on top of the template. 
THE SYSTEM          Popeye