Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Another first! (Ok, maybe not)  (Read 4979 times)

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
Another first! (Ok, maybe not)
« on: January 11, 2003, 03:31:45 pm »
After building and killing the world's first MAME cockpit, I felt it was time for another first. So now it's time for the world's first Jukebox conversion (that I know of). I am now converting an AMI/ROWE R84 to an MP3 Jukebox.

The first picture is in My Gallery and I will be adding more tonight.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2003, 02:00:40 pm by planetjay »
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re:Another first!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2003, 11:56:44 am »
Took a while for me to understand the size of your juke.  The tablesaw finally put it into the correct perspective.  Wow is that ever big!  Did you get an amp along with the woofers or was that stipped out along with all the rest?  Is there a workable set of selection buttons that can be used?

BobA

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 02:46:35 pm »
It's not that big... It's only about 3 feet wide and between 4 and 5 feet high.  :)

The speakers are the only thing that was in it. I'll be using a car audio amp to start and then when my dedicated, AC Powered amp is done I'll probably swap it in.

The buttons are out for cleaning. Plans are to use a spinner to scroll up and down a playlist and 2 mouse buttons to select songs/directories/playlists and the other go up/back. I'd like to have the software also accept numbers from the buttons too. I also hope to support the built in LED based info panel.

Also I plan on putting a black fire button in the coin return for turning the machine on and off. I found out that there is a Windows XP setting that causes shutdown when you press the power button after Windows XP is running.

Oh. Dual monitors should be installed next week.  ;D

aes_ebu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2003, 01:09:21 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 01:43:56 am »
I'm not sure it is a first. Didn't I see pics of a converted NSM Digital THunder on the mameroom.com website?

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 01:52:46 pm »
I did finally find the picture I think you're refering to. It's hard to tell. But that is why I said "(that I know of)". I wish I could get more info about it!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Re:Another first! (Ok, maybe not)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2003, 03:26:05 pm »
I still can't believe you destroyed the cockpit and then didn't move. Thats a bummer....

I built a gift registry to jukebox conversion, but thats no where near as cool as using a real jukebox.

Why dual monitors? What will be displayed on the secound one?
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2003, 06:03:24 pm »
I can't believe that we didn't move YET. It's still in MY plans anyway....

Your Gift Registry Juke is plenty cool. After I saw it and the old Target here closed, I went to the fixture sale looking for anything like it. But THANKS!

The Dual Monitors are to seperate the Album Lists from the Status area. But that's only if I write my own software or can get CyberPunk to add it as an optional feature. Otherwise (and at first) the screens will just be duplicates. At least I think that's an option. The main reason is there is a line down the middle and I want it to look right. :)

Also I started testing CP's VJ today and it seems to be a winner. I have to test a few others, but I think this one is most of what I want. Now if the PC would cooperate...

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2003, 07:39:37 pm »
I can't believe that we didn't move YET. It's still in MY plans anyway....
The Dual Monitors are to seperate the Album Lists from the Status area. But that's only if I write my own software or can get CyberPunk to add it as an optional feature. Otherwise (and at first) the screens will just be duplicates. At least I think that's an option. The main reason is there is a line down the middle and I want it to look right. :)

Also I started testing CP's VJ today and it seems to be a winner. I have to test a few others, but I think this one is most of what I want. Now if the PC would cooperate...
VJ is really cool, I tested a bunch of them and its what I settled on. That was the origanel one, he's made a ton of improvements since them. You could always put a cool screen saver like a fish tank or mpeg of the inside of a jukebox spinning records on the secound screen.  :)
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2003, 07:57:50 pm »
I could do Karaoke on the second too. Just in case Klutzo ever comes to town.  ;)

Fat-Johnny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 09:23:33 am
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2003, 02:07:55 pm »
The main reason is there is a line down the middle and I want it to look right. :)

Ever think of running dual monitors in the traditional sense of the word.  Meaning, running resolutuon at 2048x768 (same height, double wide) and having the right half of the screen on the right monitor, and the left half of the screen on the left monitor.  That is an option with a lot of Nvidia cards, nvidia calls it "TwinView".

Imagine, having albums 1 2 3 4 displayed (1 & 2 on left monitor, 3&4 on right monitor).  When you pressed the left arrow to scroll albums, 3&4 would transfer to the other monitor!!!

Sounds good,
FJ

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2003, 08:48:35 pm »
Yep... That's the plan. In fact this PC runs that way NOW.

Why not set it to "show 8 per screen". It's an option....

TapeWurm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2008, 12:47:20 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2003, 09:33:32 pm »
Fantastic! I thought of this idea a looong time back and have been very excited to scene projects come about. I have yet to do anything since I'm the man of perpetualy-go-nowhere concepts, apparently :(
I prefer the older round top 50's style but can't think of a really good way to work an interface. Anyway, how much did you get the cabinet for? Whatever it was it was a good deal! Great job and look forward to seeing more.

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2003, 10:19:04 pm »
$20US