Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crystal Castles repro overlay review  (Read 2705 times)

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Crystal Castles repro overlay review
« on: September 17, 2005, 03:09:34 pm »
Well, after many months, I have finally gotten around to finishing my Crystal Castles control panel. I first sanded most of it to remove rust then gave several coats of Tremclad Rust paint (satin black) with curing done in the sun.

Today I applied the (repro) overlay from Arcade Renovations and discovered that it has a similar problem to the marquee/speaker overlays. It's common knowledge that these overlays are not as opaque as the originals, and for the marquee, light shines through the blacks making it look a bit greyish.

A similar problem exists for the CP overlay, but for whites. When glued down, the whites show a bit of the black underneath (apparent as slight, blotchy grey). You can get rid of this by rubbing those spots repeatedly, with your finger nails until you're left with a uniform color (but it won't be a pure white like the original panel art should have).

In the end, the difference is negligible, but noticable if closely inspected. If I were to do it again, I would paint the panel white first, and only paint black where it really needs to be black.

Overall though, the machine looks brand new now.

~Ray B.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 12:27:37 pm by RayB »
NO MORE!!

SuperGunGuru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 08:14:53 pm
  • Filling up that basement
Re: Crystal Castles repro overlay review
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 10:21:31 pm »
I've thought about getting repo artwork for my Crystal Castles before. I'd heard about the problem with the repro marquee but not with the repro cp. Thanks for the review :) The artwork on my CC is in good enough shape for now, so no hurry for me in ordering it.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 10:34:05 am »
RayB,

You should have known this, I posted about the same problem with overlays before. ;) It is best to paint the CP white and then just black on the edges.

Wade

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
NO MORE!!

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 02:10:12 pm »
It was probably nested deep in one of my restoration threads.  I never made a new thread titled "Beware when applying quality CP overlays!"  Maybe I should write a few how-to's.

Wade