Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wells Gardner 25K7197 - Red screen ?  (Read 1606 times)

Nipedley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2017, 12:22:06 pm
Wells Gardner 25K7197 - Red screen ?
« on: September 11, 2005, 12:45:20 pm »
Hi there guys, I have a wells gardner 25k7197 monitor and it has a strange problem where occasionally (it did it first time upon moving about a month ago, and again today) the screen will get a very red dominant colour on it, like the red drive has been turned up too much. The red words are still visible though, as are all the other colours, just with a very red tint on them.
Could this be a malfunctioning transistor? I dont know if the problems with them come and go or not..
It doesnt seem to be happening too much now, though this monitor could do with some work. It also has occasional foldover and a wobbly screen (im guessing cap-kit on that) sigh.. I thought I'd had my fair share of monitor work already >.>

ADD: This one seems to be staying, its been about 20 minutes and its still the same. Before it went when I restarted the machine.. bah, a 15 year old shouldnt have to deal with this many monitor problems! :/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 01:02:38 pm by Nipedley »

Nipedley

• Offline Offline
Re: Wells Gardner 25K7197 - Red screen ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 03:40:45 pm »
Please just tell me its not the tube, as I have absolutely no way of replacing that at all.

Nipedley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 01:55:21 am »
Hrm darn, I presume that you should tap near the socket end rather than the glass end of the tube? I'll give it a go, I will probably still do the chassis anyway as it does need a capkit and I may as well do it at the same time... If I cant fix the tube, (I wont be able to get anyone to rejuvinate it), is it possible to swap in one from a 25" tv?
I live in England and it's practically impossible for me to even source a chassis, nevermind a whole monitor with shipping...

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 06:42:06 am »
Oddly enough the cheapest thing might be for you to buy a B&K rejuvenator and zap that sucker yourself--I went that route and got a B&K 470 off ebay for 35$--cheaper than taking it somewhere and alot cheaper than getting a new tube.  Of course it may be so far gone that a rejuvenator can't touch it but its a good piece of equipment to have so not a bad gamble in my mind.
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

Nipedley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 10:02:45 am »
I still have hopes that its the transistor - it just comes and goes, seemingly with the video signal as when I soft-reset the board after running a cpu board test it happened. Oddly, when I first turned it on this morning it was fine, perfect again and then now I just tried it and no picture on the monitor at all.. Jeez... but then as I turned it off, the picture appeared (looking fuzzy - dont know if thats 'cause i was turning it off or not) this terminator machine is turning into a full time project >.> Note: It is extremely hot outside as of this writing, could that be the cause? It would seem to me that the tube isnt dead if it does show a picture (which it did) - and I know the chassis to be.. somewhat faulty.

ADD: I was thinking maybe something in the High voltage protection circuit was taking it out, as when the monitor shuts down (it takes a while) it does come back up, and I would presume the voltage would lower as its shutting down ??
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 11:32:02 am by Nipedley »

Nipedley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 12:52:59 pm »
Okay now it works.. im creating a seperate thread for this >.>