Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: *SOLVED* Simple SB DOS question  (Read 845 times)

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
*SOLVED* Simple SB DOS question
« on: September 11, 2005, 01:13:56 am »
OK I have a simple Soundblaster DOS question.... Should the DOS SB Emulation IRQ be the same as the IRQ reported in Windows device manager?

I had read all the info on setting up SoundBlaster drivers for DOS mode. In fact, I had it working. Then I didn't touch the computer for 2-3weeks. Tonight I boot up to do some more final edits to the MAME set-up only to discover that sound was no longer working when booting straight to DOS.

Tried booting to Windows, sound works in there. I tried setting the IRQ setting to each possible value and every time it just causes either lockups at boot. Or just initialization failures. ONCE I got SBEGO (the diagnostic tool) to work and play sound. So I went and tried MAME and I got some weird error about "can't allocate memory below 4 mbyte limit" or something like that.

One thing I am just not clear on, is whether or not the DOS IRQ setting must be the same as what Windows reports in the device manager resources? In Windows, it says the card is configured as IRQ 4. But in DOS, IRQ 4 is not available.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 05:30:14 pm by RayB »
NO MORE!!

TheVengeance

• Banned
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2005, 05:31:38 pm
  • Banned
Re: Simple SB DOS question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 09:11:54 am »
I believe windows will try to assign it's own IRQ setting for the card, making it more compatible via Plug&Pray
Banned

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: Simple SB DOS question
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 01:57:55 pm »
I've already followed most of those instructions, but I think I was reading a different set of instructions last time. I see there in the "more help" a few more tips which may help out. I'll try those.

One little question still left unanswered though, is should the IRQ value in the SB driver be set to the same IRQ that the PCI slot is set to? Or because this is SB "emulation" should it be a value DIFFERENT from that hardware IRQ?

NO MORE!!

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: Simple SB DOS question - *Solved*
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 05:28:29 pm »
HOORAH!
Turns out the problem was Plug n Play was enabled in the bios.
To make double-sure I also went in the System Device Manager and REMOVED all SB related entries. (The EasyCab instructions say to go into "Add/Remove Programs", which is wrong).

I also discovered that GameLauncher does not like certain IRQs for sound. I had to set the SB to IRQ 10 to have sound in GL.

yay
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 07:20:54 pm by RayB »
NO MORE!!