Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor Shelf question  (Read 26617 times)

TheBrokentoken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
Monitor Shelf question
« on: September 04, 2005, 09:43:26 am »
In the book on page 49 (2nd paragraph), Saint talks about mounting the front of the monitor shelf flush with the front of the cabinet and that will allow the glass that will be covering the monitor to rest on the monitor shelf about 3/4" from the front of the cabinet.

Refer to picture 2-22, though, and the front of the monitor shelf doesn't look flush with the front of the cabinet at all.

I guess I'm confused as what to do - the paragraph doesn't really make sense to me when looking at the picture.  Any insight on this one?

Also - it appears that the monitor shelf height and the monitor bezel changed at some point during the construction.  Referring to the pictures in Chapter 18 of the companion CD:

S_DSCN6191.JPG - the monitor shelf looks as if it was mounted per the instructions in the book

S_DSCN6539.JPG - shows the monitor mounted with the Happ Bezel per the instructions in the book, but there appears to be about a 1.5" gap between the top of the control panel and the bottom of the monitor bezel

S_DSCN6534.JPG - shows the monitor shelf lowered to its new location and where the original (book) location was

S_DSCN7098.JPG - shows the completed cabinet with *what appears* to even be a different bezel.  Is that the case or is it just the Happ Bezel lowered?

Could you please provide some insight into the above?  Also - what was used to fill the gap up top once the monitor was lowered?

Thanks a lot!!

S_DSCN
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com

GameOver

• That's right. I'm Abe Froman.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2013, 06:54:31 pm
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
Re: Monitor Shelf question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 05:57:44 pm »
I also felt this section could've been a bit more specific, but honestly I don't think it matters too much.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 06:00:15 pm by GameOver »

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 10:30:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply! 

I will most certainly post some pictures; I am a bit slow-going though - new baby at home doesn't leave a tremendous amount of time for construction.. it's moreso on the 'little bit at a time' schedule. ;)

I'm all about the creative-engineering approach; I don't mind that at all.  I'm just wanting to make sure that I don't miss anything on the construction, especially if something changed during the course of the construction in the book and I missed it.

I am building using Saint's plans with just a couple of modifications - however 95% of my cabinet is the same, and I'm varying only a little under the control panel to accomodate a keyboard drawer... nothing major.
- Whitney Roberts

Skadar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2017, 02:20:01 pm
  • I love my new Corsair keyboard: RRRrrrrrr!!!!
    • Ooine.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 09:44:33 pm »
I noticed the same thing as well.  Also, when I found those construction pictures on the CD it was like hitting the jackpot!  Those pictures alone cleared up so many things in my mind. 

What I gather from your observation of inconsistencies is that the book was written after constructing probably 2 or 3 cabinets in order to make sure that the "system" was valid and that Saint could learn from his mistakes the first time around.  This is what *seems* to be the case, but I'm not sure if that is actually true.

This is also why the pictures on the CD were so incredibly helpful, because a few of them clearly show things going WRONG... which is actually quite useful!

There are quite a few details in the text that are not reflected in the pictures.  One small example is the continual instruction to use 2x2 strips to secure the shelving, while the pictures clearly show 1x2 strips.

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 05:27:48 pm »
Good catch on the size of the strips - now that I've gone back and looked at everything you are indeed correct.  I'll still use the 2x2 strips that I have and adjust accordingly - if nothing else they give me a bigger 'target' into which to drill. LOL.

Thanks!
- Whitney Roberts

Skadar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2017, 02:20:01 pm
  • I love my new Corsair keyboard: RRRrrrrrr!!!!
    • Ooine.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 06:00:28 pm »
And I think that's actually the point.  I would wager that he constructed the cabinet and then though after the fact, "you know?  I wish I would have used 2x2 strips instead of 1x2 to give me a bigger drilling target."  So in the text he refers to 2x2 strips everywhere because that's what he would use if he were to do it again.

All speculation of course.  :)

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 08:03:47 pm »
I would say that you are right.  I wound up using the 2" strips almost exclusively in my cabinet, and it has worked out great.
- Whitney Roberts

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 11:48:50 am
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 03:17:19 pm »
Well if you are like me I have some panel pieces that are just a tad too short in width so I use 2x2s all over the place so it gives me a bigger target to drill into to make up for my short front coin panel, and some of the back panels.  My monitor shelf is real short in width, and to not risk anything I am going to Home Depot today to get another piece of birch ply.  2x4 sheet.  That way I can cut it bigger.

I used Skadar's pic of the Aladdin Castle monitor angle.  Although I tried it, and it is just a tad too short in height.  So I am going to lower the monitor shelf angle down by one inch on front and back.  That way I keep the same angle it is just lower by an inch.  Got to keep it parallel.

wrast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2014, 07:54:28 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 01:16:41 pm »
I need to mount my monitor shelf now too. I think I'm going to go with a Billabs monitor for it. Now I'm not sure if I should mount it flush with the front of the sides or move it back some distance. I'm having a difficult time envisioning how the monitor, bezel, etc fit around the shelf. Any help with that is appreciated.

wrast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2014, 07:54:28 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 10:50:07 am »
On a whim, I checked out the book's website and found this...

http://www.projectarcade.com/errata3.html

So it should be flush-mounted apparently. Is it this way because the Happ VisionPro was used as the monitor or is this monitor-independent?