Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Playing position and control panel height  (Read 3777 times)

TheBrokentoken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
Playing position and control panel height
« on: August 21, 2005, 10:45:33 am »
I've printed out and looked over the Project Arcade plans from the CD w/ the book, and I notice that the height of the 'ledge' where the bottom of the control panel sits added to the height of the control panel itself should put the controls just a couple of inches above waist-high on a 6'0 person.  Has anyone changed their plans to bring the control panel base up a bit more?  Also, has anyone tried sitting on a standard bar stool and 'bellying up' to the control panel?  Is there enough overhang to comfortably 'nestle in' to the cabinet and play?

Overall, I guess I'm curious as to whether anyone has increased the 'overhang' of the control panel and/or raising it up more to accomodate taller players?  If so, what measurements did you change?  Thanks!
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
Re: Playing position and control panel height
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 11:02:26 am »
your best bet is to make carboard mock-ups to adjust things to how you want them for your height.

you don't have to follow the plans out of the book they are guidelines there are other plans available. As long as you get the general ideas Saint is addressing then you should be able to modify the plans to accomadate what you need.

www.jakobud.com has many different arcade plans available. I pretty much modified my own plans using features I liked out of different plans to make mine a little more unique...

it took several cardboard mock-ups until I found what I liked.

TheBrokentoken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
Re: Playing position and control panel height
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 05:01:00 pm »
Thanks for the link and the advice.  I took Saint's plans and cut out a 'life-size' side piece from cardboard and man, is this thing gonna be tall!  The height of the control panel is actually just about dead-nuts on, so I think I can comfortably roll with the plans from the book.  The only thing I can see modifying is possibly the overhang on the control panel... I think I'll wind up giving it a bit more of a lip so I can be more comfortable sitting on a stool... I'd really like to 'sit into' the front of the cabinet rather than having to straddle the cabinet with my knees hanging off each side of the front or have to sit too far back (I'm a pretty big guy - need lots of room. ;) LOL.)
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com