Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question on monitor and video card used in 'Project Arcade'  (Read 4692 times)

TheBrokentoken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
Question on monitor and video card used in 'Project Arcade'
« on: August 14, 2005, 10:06:52 am »
First off, this is my first post on BYOAC.  This looks to be a great place to hang out.  Secondly, my compliments on the book.  I'm well over 1/2 of the way through it, and even though I've not started building yet, the time the book will save is enormous.  Well worth the $$.

I notice that in chapter 12 Saint mentions that he used a Happ Controls Vision-Pro SVGA 27" monitor in the cabinet.  I've looked at both the Wells Gardner D9200 and the Betson, but is this a 'better' monitor to use than either of those?  Both the Betson and the WGD9200 seem to have their share of problems. 

Also - what video card was used on Project Arcade?  I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the book.  I'm curious if the ArcadeVGA was used or if a 'normal' VGA card was used.

Thanks!
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
Re: Question on monitor and video card used in 'Project Arcade'
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 11:17:38 am »
I've had zero problems with my monitor so far, but have no experience with the other monitors mentioned. I'm using a standard video card (in fact, currently in Project Arcade is an e-machines computer with on-board video).
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 11:29:25 am »
OK, thanks for the info. 

After doing a good bit of reading, I'm finding out that the 'true' arcade (WG D9200 and the Betson Imperial ) monitors are able to do a 15.7kHZ mode as well as a 31kHZ mode.  The Happ monitor lists supporting a 30-40kHZ mode and not the 15.7kHz that the ArcadeVGA card puts out to support the native resolution of some of the older games (Pacman/Ms.Pacman/Donkey Kong/etc. vintage)

I guess my real question is this - Does the Happ Controls monitor do a good job of making the (older) 15.7kHZ games look authentic?  What does a game like Donkey Kong look like on it?

I'm all about the Happ Monitor if it'll give me good results.  The color pictures on the CD are great, but it'd help a lot to see some actual gameplay screen shots of the Happ Controls monitor next to a PC monitor.  Would that be possible for you to do? 

Also - thanks for confirming the video card information.  In all the reading I'm doing, there doesn't seem to be a clear deliniation on when the ArcadeVGA card is necessary and when it's not.  Thanks for the clarification!
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 11:28:12 pm »
I guess my real question is this - Does the Happ Controls monitor do a good job of making the (older) 15.7kHZ games look authentic?  What does a game like Donkey Kong look like on it?

can anyone answer this??
I b**ch. People listen!!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 09:20:53 am »
To me....

It looks fine on a computer monitor or an arcade. I just don't see a big difference.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 11:30:05 am »
Probably best to ask this question in the monitor section, you'll likely get more results there.