Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What exactly is vectorizing?  (Read 6959 times)

flyguy1821

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2022, 11:06:19 pm
What exactly is vectorizing?
« on: August 06, 2005, 11:56:49 pm »
Never asked this question yet.  What is and how do you do vectorizing?  Maybe I am standing to close to the picture to see the answer!

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
Re: What exactly is vectorizing?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 02:02:23 am »
A vectorized image is a drawing made from lines and angles described mathematically, as apposed to a drawing that is made up of dots. When you enlarge an image made of dots (such as a jpg), it gets chunky and looses resolution, similar to looking at a newspaper picture with a magnifying glass.

When you tell a vector image to increase in size it applies your wishes to the length and radius of the lines that make up the image. This produces no limit in resolution and therefore the enlarged image looks exactly the same only bigger.

That's a pretty rough explanation.....

Living the delusional lifestyle.

zorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2022, 09:00:38 am
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 02:35:14 am »
What is and how do you do vectorizing?

for the "what" BrokenBones answered
for the "how" check the Frostillicuss vector tutorial
I'm on the planning stage

AceTKK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 02:04:20 pm »
A vectorized image is a drawing made from lines and angles described mathematically, as apposed to a drawing that is made up of dots. When you enlarge an image made of dots (such as a jpg), it gets chunky and looses resolution, similar to looking at a newspaper picture with a magnifying glass.

When you tell a vector image to increase in size it applies your wishes to the length and radius of the lines that make up the image. This produces no limit in resolution and therefore the enlarged image looks exactly the same only bigger.

That's a pretty rough explanation.....

that's a very good answer.
I want my own arcade controls!

dogg0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2014, 01:18:29 pm
  • ALL? no ALL!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 09:55:46 am »
IMHO, simple images that are consist of lines and solid colors are perfect for vectorizing (i.e. classic marquees and sideart such as the pac series), however for modern games and fighters it is much more logical to do a high quality scan whenever possible. Enjoy  ;)
thou shalt not supress flatulence

-the bassmaster general