Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Frogger cocktail restoration project - PICS ADDED  (Read 14387 times)

tech_todd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2005, 03:04:04 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Frogger cocktail restoration project - PICS ADDED
« on: August 02, 2005, 04:46:47 pm »
I picked up a Frogger cocktail cabinet DIRT CHEAP last weekend and I am ready start a restoration project. However, this is my FIRST project, and I am strapped for funds. So, I am turning to this vast community of arcade avengers to help me. Please give me advice or guidance in any of the areas below.

I did a quick assessment of the cabinet, and this is what I think I need to do at a minimum...

1. Fix the monitor. Monitor is very faint (unplayable). I need to identify the monitor and determine what the problem is.

2. Replace and repair the player 1 joystick/panel. The original stick has been replaced with one that is too big. In the process they drilled new holes for the new joystick. Just looks bad, and the stick sits too high. Still playable, but should be replaced.

3. Replace the power cord. Looks like a dog, cat, or rat had its way with this one.

4. Clean, clean, clean. It is pretty nasty inside. Not nearly as bad as most, I guess, but still very dusty.

5. Polish/paint the chrome legs.

6. The plastic "doors" of the coin return slots are broken. Not a biggie.

7. I don't have ANY keys for the thing. The top is not locked, so I can get into it, but I can't get in the service door or the coin box. Any hope for replacement keys, or do I need to break out a drill?

I'm sure I will discover more as I go along. The machine does power on and play which is a great start.

Thanks in advance,
Tech_todd
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 08:57:17 am by tech_todd »

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2008, 08:28:56 pm
  • {/....KILL YOUR TELIVISION....\}
Re: Frogger cocktail restoration project
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 08:38:19 pm »
welcome to the forums!

rchadd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2013, 06:14:06 am
  • Made in Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 10:13:16 am »
photos?

i'm currently restoring a frogger upright - luckilly not much to do

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=40764.0

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:01:01 am »
I'll add some photos asap. My digital camera died, so I will have to borrow another.

Last night I turned it on and let it run for about an hour to see if the video improved, but it did not. I'm trying to identify the monitor now to see if there is a SCREEN control. I thought it was a WG K4600 series, but it does not look exactly the same. I can't find any identification on the chassis either.

This weekend another arcade buddy of mine is coming over and we will dig deeper into this gem.

If anyone has any advice on the locks or video issues, please respond!

Thanks,
Todd

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 12:37:10 pm »
If anyone has any advice on the locks or video issues, please respond!

RE: Locks -- if you can get inside, just unscrew the lock from the back.

RE: Video -- first step is to really clean the monitor and glass (I can't believe how much gunk I cleaned off my SMB project's monitor last night). Then, you may consider a cap kit (but take some pictures and post in the Monitor/Video forum for better advice).

Cheers and welcome.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 08:14:53 pm
  • Filling up that basement
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 01:16:31 pm »
A cap kit may help the monitor but the tube itself may need to be rejuvinated. Sounds like it may be a weak tube. Cap kits are cheap so that'd be a good place to start. Can't hurt.  :)

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 01:55:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Locks - I'll try that trick. I think I can get to the back of the service door. I don't think I can get to the back of the coin door though.

Monitor - I know I'm a newbie, but how could you "rejuvenate" a tube? Wouldn't you just have to replace the whole monitor? When I get a chance, I'm going to take some pictures to try to identify the monitor. Hopefully there will be a SCREEN control I can adjust.

Anyone have a manual for a Frogger cocktail cabinet? I've got the stand up manual, but can't find a cocktail version.

Thanks,
Todd

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 08:14:53 pm
  • Filling up that basement
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 04:40:05 pm »
I've had a buddy of mine rejuvinate a few of my monitor tubes. Essentially you have a device that connects to the tube where the neckbaord would normally go and that device pumps up the voltage to the various parts near the neck of the monitor. That voltage burns off crud from parts like the 3 different color guns and makes the tube function better.  Here's a site you can read more about how it works specifically.

http://slot-tech-ftp.serveftp.com:8080/technical_department/monitors/crt/sencore/cr7000.htm

Monitor - I know I'm a newbie, but how could you "rejuvenate" a tube? Wouldn't you just have to replace the whole monitor? When I get a chance, I'm going to take some pictures to try to identify the monitor. Hopefully there will be a SCREEN control I can adjust.

rchadd

• Offline Offline
  • Made in Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 07:50:16 pm »
I thought it was a WG K4600 series, but it does not look exactly the same. I can't find any identification on the chassis either.

take a photo of the chassis and post message on the video forum

ken layton or someone else will probably id it for you

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 01:14:51 pm »
I'm beginning to doubt whether this is an original Frogger cabinet.  ???

It has a Sega serial number tag on the outside of the cabinet, however it doesn't look like pictures I have seen of Frogger cocktail cabinets.

My machine has a black top and chrome legs. Most of the pictures show a woodgrain top and black legs. Also, the CPs on mine are set at a somewhat perpendicular angle to the cabinet, whereas, the pics I have seen show the joysticks almost vertical to the cabinet.

I plan on taking some pics this weekend. I'll post them asap.

Thanks,
tech_todd

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 10:22:51 pm »
UPDATE!!!!!

My buddy Darryl (dphirschler) and I spent some time with the Frogger cocktail cabinet this weekend and made great progress!

We managed to get both the service door and the coin door open and only had to break one lock. Of course, I have to replace them both because I don't have keys for either. When we got the coin box out I found a variety of keys and a lock (none of them fit each other) and a total of $7.50 in quarters!  ;D 

Given this winfall, this brings my total paid for this working Frogger cocktail cabinet with monitor issues to.... please don't cry... $32.50!
No, I didn't miss a decimal point there folks. I paid $40 for the thing!

Our next task was to work on the monitor. We blew out some dust around the boards and found several controls on the main board:
White Gain, Blue Gain, Red Gain, and Green Gain. We first pumped the White Gain all the way up, but it made little improvement. Next we turned up the blue, red, and green gain pots about a quarter turn. We fired it back up and BINGO! The monitor was now playable. It still has several issues, but it is playable. The water is black, not blue, and the blue is missing from the title screen. Also some of the title words are multicolored. I've got a thread on the monitor forum to help identify the monitor.

We knocked out a few games and it played pretty well. The game is slightly cut off on the left and right, but I was just thrilled that it was playable.

We are convinced that this cabinet was probably some other Sega cabinet that was converted to Frogger. I took some pics, but can't post them yet. I'll get them on asap.

Any advice or comments are welcome!

Thanks,
Todd

PS - Thanks again for the the time DPH!

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
Re: Frogger cocktail restoration project - PICS ADDED
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 09:05:04 am »
Here are some pics of my Frogger cocktail cabinet. They are not great, but I had to borrow a crappy camera to get these. I'll post more when I can. Notice the black top and chrome "feet".

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 09:11:50 am »
These next two shots show the control panel and the inside of the cabinet. Can someone help me identify the original game here? The CP does not look like an original Frogger cocktail CP. Also, it is not clear in the picture, but beside the player 1 and player 2 buttons are smiley faces  :) :)  and  :). Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks,
Todd

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 11:45:15 pm »
Hello, hello, hello... is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me...

Just kidding folks. OK here are a few questions I have:

1. What should I do with this cabinet? (restore it, sell it, MAME it, etc) Right now I am set on restoration, but would consider sell or Mame.

2.  Should I replace the monitor, rejuvenate it, leave it alone?
Cash supply is low, but I would like to improve it.

3.  Should I look for original joysticks and artwork or leave it

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 08:47:06 am »
I've decided to try to restore this guy. I need some advice.

What is the best source for the mini-joysticks that are standard on Frogger cocktail cabinets?

Has anyone on the board tried the High Score kit from Scott Brasington. He explained to me yesterday that you have to increase the space between the Frogger boards to install it properly. How did you do this?

Any source for replacement generic Sega CP overlays?

Thanks again,
Todd

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 02:24:46 am »
let me know if you make a site as i am compiling all the sites of jap/aussie cocktail cabs on my site:

http//:dannygalaga.com

(",)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 11:30:49 pm by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2021, 10:32:54 am
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 11:23:42 am »
Todd, just use longer pieces for spacers.  People here have even suggested cutting up a Bic pen (or the like) and using that as spacers.

Darryl

rchadd

• Offline Offline
  • Made in Cornwall
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 06:10:03 pm »
I've decided to try to restore this guy. I need some advice.

What is the best source for the mini-joysticks that are standard on Frogger cocktail cabinets?

Has anyone on the board tried the High Score kit from Scott Brasington. He explained to me yesterday that you have to increase the space between the Frogger boards to install it properly. How did you do this?

Any source for replacement generic Sega CP overlays?

Thanks again,
Todd

happ sell replacements for the mspacman/galaga reunion cabs

http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/5060841125r.htm

just seen the not at the botton of the description "This joystick does not have the same mounting plate as the original Pac-Man games "

maybe this is better option...

http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/506084112.htm

looking at the price difference maybe it would be worth trying to mod the mspacman joystick to fit your cp - maybe make a mounting plate of somesort?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 06:14:06 pm by rchadd »

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 08:39:53 am »
I've decided to go with a couple of new Nintendo 4-way "mini" sticks. They look identical to the one good stick I have in the game. I got them from Video Connection for $25 total. Here are a couple of pics:

tech_todd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 04:18:12 pm »
Here is a pic of my Frogger game in action. Notice that the water is black, not blue! I have a thread going on the monitor board to ask for help on that issue, but I thought you guys might want to see it too.

Thanks,
Todd