Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Surround sound?  (Read 3726 times)

BASSOFeeSH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2009, 12:46:42 am
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
Surround sound?
« on: December 27, 2002, 06:01:10 pm »
I ran a search and only found one post mentioning any ideas for surround sound on a cabinet.  

Has anyone done this?  I'm thinking that the best way would be to use those speaker mounts that stores like Best Buy use to show off home theatre systems

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:Surround sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 06:05:57 pm »
sounds really funny...seriouslly..surround sound in a cab :-\ :P.

Sounds okay in your living room but you really can't much when it comes to "surround sound in a cab"

just my $0.03 :-\

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 07:20:01 pm »

Snaaake, Surround sound cabs have been in many 80s games.   TX-1  was a sit down driving game that has 4 speakers... and Disc's of Tron Enviornmental also has surround sound.  Im sure theres more... just cant remember them now.

Unfortunately... I dont think mame supports true 4 channel output for games that used them :  (

Tho... theres nothing wrong with being prepared ;)  And also,  using simulated surround modes like 'stadium'. the echo effect might be quite nice.   Not to mention... pc games and or movies could be ran.

BASSOFeeSH,  I was thinking of making telescopic extending tubes that I would hang from the top of my cab...as mine isnt enclosed.    You could do something simular - without the telescopic stuff... by mounting some metal or think wood dowel poles to the sides of you cab... or if its internal... maybe make holes to mount the enire assembly inside.

Also, If you really want an awesome experience... get 'Bass shakers'   and put them under your chair.   They are like subwoofers.. but they only vibrate instead of moving air arround.  

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 12:49:49 am »
Yeah, the zinc emulator support EAX so you can get surround through your sb live with the Capcom Q-Sound games.
Strider 2 in surround is cool.
Plus computer versions of arcade games will support surround sound.  Daytona had surround sound on the cockpit version.
Plus just playing any PC game will work since most of today's games use EAX.

I was thinking about this on my cab, I still might.  I use zinc and pc games on my cab so it would be neet.  My surrounds would have to be removable though.  So I am thinking PVC tubing that can slide into a mount on the top of cab.  The speaker wisers could be run in the tubing.  There would be a 3.5mm jack on the top of the cab to plug the speakers into.  
I'd have to upgrade my speakers I currently have in it so that project is vaporware right now.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2002, 12:53:29 am by SirPoonga »

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 02:46:14 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking more about PC games and such.

At least its something to think about.

elfman12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2010, 09:23:38 pm
  • FOTR, TTT, ROTK
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2002, 04:02:26 am »
I ran a search and only found one post mentioning any ideas for surround sound on a cabinet.  

Has anyone done this?  I'm thinking that the best way would be to use those speaker mounts that stores like Best Buy use to show off home theatre systems

Well, I just put some on my new cab. I come across a Creative Surround Station    http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=74    and just used the extention posts and adjustment arms. I drilled 2 holes in the top of the cab, and voile' - instant surround sound! Now, there aren't many emulated games out supporting this (none that I know of, actually) but alot of PC games support 5.1, and besides, just normal 2-channel sound pumped all around you gives it a nice "enclosed" feel.

Also, I'm a gadget nut and wanted to try it.  ;)
In the orchard, drenched in blue light, she changes your bandages and soothes you.

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 12:21:27 pm »
Hey, that's exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

Thanks for the link/info!