Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crazy Japanese!  (Read 4056 times)

Jollyrob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2010, 11:29:15 am
  • I'm a llama!
Crazy Japanese!
« on: July 23, 2005, 09:27:48 am »
http://www.syberpunk.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=boonga

How's that for a good indication of why arcades are dying in this country :)

All we have is boring Tekken, the Japanese and Koreans are jamming plastic fingers in peoples bums...now that's entertainment

I found this about a week ago on some site listing the top 10 most offensive games, this was number one, i was gonna post it then, but forgot the name of it, I just got hernia surgery yesterday, so havinng nothing to do but lay here on the laptop, i remembered....can you believe this thing isn't on KLOV....not that I should really be surprised eh?

Anyway, I've done my daily post, peace out
Rob

Edit: Checked Klov again, i mistyped it, it is there, cool now i can see what they consider the control to be :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 11:54:56 am by Peale »

PacMon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2022, 12:26:24 pm
  • Too many projects for 2 hands!
Re: Crazy Japs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 11:38:26 am »
Whoa!!!  I'm speechless!  ???

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 01:18:15 pm »
btw, your subject is considered by many / most as a racial slur.   :-X

Mr-Megalo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2006, 08:36:28 am
  • Piano fingered Capcom Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 01:30:44 pm »
btw, your subject is considered by many / most as a racial slur.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 02:19:32 pm »
beyond the racial slurs... this game has been posted here roughly 8 billion times... give or take a few.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

JB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2005, 10:56:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 04:22:22 pm »
All I have to say is... Have a fun!

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 05:20:42 pm »
Isn't it weird how "jap" is offensive but "brit" is not?
NO MORE!!

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 05:56:42 pm »

Britts' are offensive!  ;D  jk

Cheers

-Goz

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 07:59:00 pm »

The word "Jap" has offensive connotations dating back to World War II, and the particularly cruel and intense fighting and poor treatment of POWs by the then Japanese military.

Post World War II after "Little Boy" (the nuclear weapons dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, crippling the entire country) the Japanese all but closed their doors to the rest of the world, opening them 40 years later and announcing themselves to be a peaceful nation that would never forget the horrors of the war performed by either side.

Many Australian "diggers" fought the "japs" in Papua New Guinea and surrounding areas, and you'll still find older members of the community using these terms and having some pretty severe issues with Asian people in general.  Much like the syndrome faced by ex-Vietnam battlers under similar circumstances.

Anyways... you get the picture.  I'm not usually one for political correctness; I think it's all a load of tosh generally.  But you should at least try to understand where these issues stem from, and in certain circumstances (particularly relating to the horrors of war), showing some sensitivity is a good thing.

[EDIT] I should add, I've spent some time in Japan, and I've found it to be the most fantastic place.  The people are the friendliest I have EVER witnessed (and I've done my fair share of travel), and will go out of their way to help a total stranger in need, reguardless of language barrier or cultural differences.  These "bizzare japanese stuff" websites paint these marvellous people as some sort of mass deviant culture, and nothing could be further from the truth.

It is a beautiful country with fantastic people, and anyone planning holidays in Asia should definitely consider Japan as a part of their travels.  Not doing so would be a great loss to any travellor.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 01:42:43 am by elvis »

DaemonCollector

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2009, 07:02:16 pm
  • All your base are belong to us.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 01:32:16 am »
bringing this back around....it looks like the point of the game is much like that of a love tester. If you read the brochure in the last link on the page "After detecting your power with the sensor, a card will come out. It will explain your sexual behavior." So its just a really perverted love tester :)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re: Crazy Japanese!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 11:55:34 am »
Edit by moderator: changed thread title in first post.

dmsuchy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2009, 09:00:08 pm
  • I kill communist llamas for fun.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 04:17:03 pm »
Did you know that Jays chips used to be called "Japs" but changed the name after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Complete usless info I know.

tommy

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 04:43:30 pm »
Good call peale. That title kinda stuck out to me too.  :-X

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 10:01:33 pm »
The title is still wrong... The Boonga game is Korean.
NO MORE!!

tommy

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 12:35:58 pm »
The title is still wrong... The Boonga game is Korean.

I agree also. I changed my mind.... but for a different reason. I can't see a thread named "crazy whites" going over too well either, no matter if you spell it all out or not.

Jollyrob

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 02:47:33 pm »
apologies on the title, I actually went to school with a good number of japanese, (grew up in DC, varied population by far) and I guess years after a war ends, things sort of thin out in meaning, so they never took offense to it, so in a way, i see the term as more comedic than anything in this day and age, again, sorry

but i'm a little disturbed on how you people are complaining more about the slip up with the titling than complaining about the level of disturbingness with the contents of the thread itself

And yes, it is Korean, that is true, but it was unvailed at a japanese video game trade show

Also sorry for posting something that has been here before, My bad for not delving deeper into the history of the forum to see if this game had struck anyone elses nerves before mine

tommy

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 04:40:27 pm »

Also sorry for posting something that has been here before, My bad for not delving deeper into the history of the forum to see if this game had struck anyone elses nerves before mine

I wouldn't expect every member to read every post on the forum for fear of possibly getting flamed for posting a topic that has been covered, there is just to much info.

Maybe if the search didn't come up with odd words that have nothing to do with what you were looking for i could see topics comming up slightly less, but most don't even see the search button, it's just as well anyway.

Jollyrob

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 06:12:38 pm »
well, I may have considered doing a search on it I guess, but i've been reading this forum daily for the better part of 2 and a half years  ;D

Never saw that game mentioned even once, so I figured it had somehow passed over, thought I might bring my own little piece of exciting info to the breakfast table...just goes to show, we here at BYOAC have seen it all :)

xonix_digital

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2016, 04:36:05 pm
  • I am the Milky-Way Commander!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 02:36:15 am »
I personally went to school with many japanese exchange students and they all thought saying "Crazy Japanese!" and "Stupid American!" was the thing to do. Most of the japanese people I have met aren't as "racially" uptight as you might think.

Actually the reason why I clicked on this thread was because my friend Shingo Ishimura used to say "Crazy Japanese!" all the time. (One of the few english words he COULD say!)

-=XD=-