Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Linux running on an EYE-POD!  (Read 4164 times)

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
Linux running on an EYE-POD!
« on: July 15, 2005, 10:12:21 pm »
Don't know if this has been posted before, because a nice search of Linux or eye-pod brings up SCADS of results, so stuff it if you've seen this posted here before...that's MY job to whine about ;)

http://www.ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

Although I just bought an mp3 player, it sure as heck WASN'T an eye-pod, since their tactics are anti-whatIwannadowithmymusic, and their price simply is out of whack with reality.

I was a step away from dropping another hundred bucks for the movie-version Creative player.....dang those kids and having to feed them ::) ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 10:15:34 pm by DrewKaree »
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
Re: Linux running on an EYE-POD!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 10:35:18 pm »
I haven't seen that one yet...

Its about time someone started building something like this for the iPOD. I think the UI is very poorly done, especially when scrolling through long lists. They don't have the concept of when I scoll to the last entry in a list, it should automatically scroll to the 1st entry at the top of the list. Something so simple to do, and which proves to be somewhat agrivating when dealing with a large collection of music.

I have an iPOD if anyone wants to buy it. Complete with all the accessories...40 GB model.

One of the main reasons I went with the ARCHOS 20GB Jukebox was because there is an Open Source community building new software for it. The software is called Rockbox

http://www.rockbox.org/

The thing that I really liked is that the software is written in C, and I've done a lot of C programming in my day. For those not as ambitious, you can request feature requests through their development community.

Hopefully this Linux group will do the same for the iPOD.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 10:37:06 pm by Jabba »
Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
Re: Linux running on an EYE-POD!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 10:32:30 am »

I have an iPOD if anyone wants to buy it. Complete with all the accessories...40 GB model.

What do you want for it? Feel free to PM me with the details. My MP3 player just went kaput on my. I'm seriously thinking of getting an ipod

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?