Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WTB: Heroquest board game...or any accessories  (Read 835 times)

hulkster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
WTB: Heroquest board game...or any accessories
« on: July 10, 2005, 06:51:01 pm »
i dont know how many people in this forum remember this game, or if anyone ever played this game, but me and a friend have picked it back up since we were kids playing it....and im looking for some extra pieces!  if anyone has this game or would be willing to sell some extra stuff to me, let me know!

daveg2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2009, 08:55:51 pm
  • PSP? Yeah right. GP2X Baby! This thing is awesome
    • www.davegrams.com
Re: WTB: Heroquest board game...or any accessories
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 07:19:36 pm »
I loved that game.. did you even go as far as to make up your own 'quests'?

I have mine packed away for when my twin boys are old enough
to play with me.... (no one else I know right now would get into that)

sorry to say I cant part with any of it.. but thanks for joggin my memory!
...so I will ask you... "Deal, or No Deal?"

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2007, 08:00:54 am
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 11:13:03 pm »
The problem with that game was that the basic rules sucked. My brother started adding extra monsters to the dungeons and it *still* didn't make it any harder once I had the 'Gattling Team' set up: the three guys carrying crossbows and heaviest armour would sit at the end of a corridor, then the little guy would just open the door and run away while the big guys mowed 'em all down.  8)

You can only solve this with more advanced rules:
(a) 'surprise' penalty, each new monster seen removes 1 from your current move
(b) time limit where the hereos have, say, 50-60 turns to exit the dungeon before the enemy 're-enforcements' automatically overwhelm them, perhaps with a 50% bonus cash for doing it in 30 turns or less
(c) each use of a ranged weapon requires a 'pass' turn to reload it
(d) activated monsters can sneak around the back, activating other monsters as they go, and creating up to two additional secret doors not on the original map
(e) allow activated monsters to run away to 'arm themselves' with a single shot ranged weapon if two or more ranged shots were fired at them from beyond their move limit
.. and so on. Adding more health to the monsters wasn't really a good idea for a dice based game, but making the monsters use tactics to try and thwart the hereo's tactics makes the players have to act more realistically.  :police:

On the flip side, once you know the game really well it is a piece of cake to make your own "travel version" by hacking up one of those $2 magnetic chess sets.  ;D
Done. SLATFATF.

owenowen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2007, 04:15:59 am
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:46:47 am »
where in the world are you? i've got hero's quest and the kellars keep (i think thats how its spelt) expansion pack. what were you after in particular?

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 08:47:33 am »
where in the world are you? i've got hero's quest and the kellars keep (i think thats how its spelt) expansion pack. what were you after in particular?

im in nashville, tn in the usa.  i was just looking for extra pieces to use in my current game.  extra dice, furniture, doors, and board would be awesome.  the expansion pack would be nice as well. 

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:52:42 am »
The problem with that game was that the basic rules sucked. My brother started adding extra monsters to the dungeons and it *still* didn't make it any harder once I had the 'Gattling Team' set up: the three guys carrying crossbows and heaviest armour would sit at the end of a corridor, then the little guy would just open the door and run away while the big guys mowed 'em all down.

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2007, 08:00:54 am
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 02:43:54 am »
The problem with that game was that the basic rules sucked.
ummmm, okay.  so who says i dont play with custom house rules? ::)  and i take it since you hate the game so much, youd be willing to sell it? 
I don't hate the game, and it is my brother's set, not mine. They managed to avoid paper and/or tokens quite well, without overly compromising the actual gameplay itself. And, as I said, the game worked very well (almost better) as a travel game too.  :)

But the extra equipment cards could have had extra rules on them, so that people could choose to play 'basic' or 'advanced' as they wanted. Also, it's terrifying seeing photos that remind me of what people used to wear...  ;D
Done. SLATFATF.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 03:45:03 pm »
bump...since i havent gotten a reply yet.