Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jambo Safari Information  (Read 2190 times)

97thruhiker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2014, 01:55:30 pm
Jambo Safari Information
« on: July 14, 2005, 07:34:13 pm »
Just got back this week from a vacation with the family.

AlanS17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
Re: Jambo Safari Information
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 09:50:31 pm »
Here's a KLOV link:
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=8222

Otherwise, I've never seen it, heard of it, or know where to find one. Sorry. You're right about one thing, though. It's gonna be expensive.

StephenH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 06:15:45 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 10:41:59 pm »
It is a NAOMI game.  The NAOMI system is very complex, and it will be a while before it is in MAME.  Someone tried to partially emu Naomi a while ago in Chankast Emu.

However, you might see if there is a console port of it.   Sega did port some of its NAOMI Titles to Dreamcast, PS/2, Gamecube, and other platforms.

97thruhiker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:48:06 pm »
I never heard of it before playing it with my daughter.

97thruhiker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:51:45 pm »
I did a search and  someone mentioned that maybe the Sega Dreamcast had a version.  Will explore this option more when I get a chance.   If so I guess I will pick up a used Dreamcast.  Many people here on the site seem to like this console.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 12:04:42 pm »
Well the Dreamcast is a great system, but don't buy it expecting to play Jambo Safari. I'm not finding that game anywhere for Dreamcast.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 04:15:44 pm »
You could also grab a NAOMI system, but I've never seen that cart for sale and have no idea where to get the controls ... maybe Gozur or some of the other NAOMI experts would have an idea.

Cheers.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ArcadeNoob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2007, 06:33:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 05:10:12 pm »
Yea, about Naomi systems..........do you plug them into Jamma cabinets, or play them on TV?(I know nothing about Naomi, sorry to hijack the thread!)

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 06:16:06 pm »
Yea, about Naomi systems..........do you plug them into Jamma cabinets, or play them on TV?(I know nothing about Naomi, sorry to hijack the thread!)

NAOMI is it's own standard. You can purchase JAMMA I/O converters for them. They range $85 - $200 depending on flavor. NAOMI is an expensive hardware set. Make damn sure you really want that game. Some carts are very expensive. Jumba Safari uses specialty controls which will run you substantial money. Without going into great deatails my idea of expensive cartridges is about $350+ I recently purchased a Virtua NBA for more than that. While the games are stellar on NAOMI. It is not the biggest bang for the buck.

A complete NAOMI system (just to play carts) will run ya a good $300 with a JAMMA converter if you buy them as a set. Indiviudally if you were piece it together it'd be much higher. I have a full set (spare) I could prolly sell to you if interetsed; but I've not had much luck selling NAOMI to BYOAC as most are ubber frugal (not a diss just a fact). Again NAOMi is expensive. One of the cool things about owning a NAOMI system though is knowing that the good number of the games at your local arcade are running on this hardware. The expense goes up another 300 if you move to the NAOMI GDROM dirve, but the games get cheaper.

As for emulation. It is estimated that CPU's would need to be the equivilent of 6+ Ghz to properly emulate NAOMI1.

-Goz

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 09:21:07 am »

http://www.sega-naomi.com

Good place to start.

Cheers.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None