Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone have a Q*Bert upright or Midway Mini Cabaret cabinet?  (Read 4435 times)

MonitorGuru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2005, 11:29:43 pm
I am in the process of building one of each, and the various plans online are not complete enough to allow me to finish and I would appreciate someone spending about 10 minutes on the cabinet gathering a few measurements for me.

For the Midway Mini/Cabaret, a Gorf or Galaga or Satan's Hollow would work best to copy, but any might be helpful (e.g. Tron, Ms.Pac, Kickman, WizardOfWor, but not Galaxian/Pac-Man or RallyX which are the much different design)

Thanks!

tristan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 05:37:32 pm
  • I have no idea what's going on
    • Nothing
Re: Anyone have a Q*Bert upright or Midway Mini Cabaret cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 09:03:22 pm »
This page looks to have some good dimensions for a Ms. Pacman:

http://retro.co.za/arcade/cabinet.html

D'oh, you wanted a caberet!

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

MonitorGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 09:39:21 pm »
Thanks, but I am looking for a MINI (Cabaret) Midway, not their full size uprights.. I already have 3 of them :)

And yes, I've checked out Jakobud's site and the measurements are not complete enough to make an exact cabinet (e.g. a lot of the measurements are offset from a previous measurement, not in relation to an absolute point (e.g. bottom back corner). Therefore things like the speaker board/backboard/bezel can end up moving lots, changing their relative angles yet still "fitting" per their measurements due to thicknesses of the boards, etc..

Also, there is no information regarding the size of the back pieces like the permanent piece at the bottom top and the swinging back door height, etc..

His plans are good to make a good mame cabinet and eyballing, but I have original parts (marquee, bezel, control panel, etc..) that I need to ensure will fit and with a few more measurements I can make it 'exact'.

Thanks

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 08:31:18 am »
PM Flack. He has a Q-Bert.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

gotstik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2005, 11:38:05 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 11:10:42 am »
I have a Satan's Hollow mini cab I'm currently restoring.

MonitorGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 12:53:47 pm »
I have a Satan's Hollow mini cab I'm currently restoring.

gotstik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 04:19:04 pm »
Yes I do! :)

gotstik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 04:33:11 pm »
Hey MonitorGuru or everyone else!?!;

I'm looking for a couple of pieces for my SH mini, can you help  :)?
1. The narrow front panel art that fits above the coin door
2. I really could use a new (nos or repro) cp overlay.
(I wonder if repros have been done for these?)
3. Monitor glass I think.. The one I have is plain, do you know if there was artwork on the mini glass bezel? I've never seen one in person so I'm not sure.

Anyway, good luck with the project! Chris 

MonitorGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 10:06:04 pm »
Thank you very much for the DETAILED information. I really appreciate it.

I figured it was grooved out on the top board and on the underside of the facing board so the marquee would screw in flat to it where it meets.

I will apply these measurements to the cabinet side i am working on and hopefully everything will now line up.

I am actually building a Kickman mini cabinet but saw it is virtually identical to the Satan's Hollow or Galaga.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 10:57:17 am »
Satan's Hollow MINI?!?! Wow. That must be rare. Please share photos with us!
NO MORE!!

MonitorGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 06:16:16 pm »
Hi.  Thanks again for the detailed measurements. I have most of them transfered to my side and have a few more questions to finish :)

1) Is the black holder for the glass perpendicular to the glass (titled with relation to the back wall) or is it parallel to the back?

2) I assume there is a board behind it that it screws into.. perhaps to answer question 1, the easiest is to measure the height of the board and then the indentation from the back of the cabinet at the top back of the board and at the bottom back of the board. (like we did the tiny piece between the glass and speaker board)

3) With the control panel off, how high is the front piece from the absolute outside bottom? Is it flat on top where the control panel rests?

4) How far off the outside bottom is the outside bottom edge of the coin door frame?

5) Speaker positioning: How far from the back tiny board do they speaker bezels start and how from from the plastic lip of the marquee? How far are they in from the sides, and how far apart are they? (I assume they're 2x 6x9's not 4" squares)

6) How much play is there (guestimate?) on the glass bezel into the slot on the back board and under the front black lip? I guess 1/8"

7) How tall is the fixed back piece on the lower back side of the cabinet (below the removable door)? 

8) How tall is the back door?  (I think I have both of these correctly figured based on the scan from the manual, but wanted to double check)  I think there is a fixed 3/4" tall piece on top just before the top board on the cabinet as well, right?

9) If you have time, if you can give me the offsets of the air holes from the edges on the fixed bottom piece and the removable door, that would be nice. I do not need exact, just within an 1/8" on them.

gotstik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 12:27:00 am »
"have most of them transfered to my side and have a few more questions to finish"

Try these!>

1) Is the black holder for the glass perpendicular to the glass (titled with relation to the back wall) or is it parallel to the back?
** Not sure if I understood this one, but here goes;
~~A) If it

gotstik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 12:32:50 am »
Satan's Hollow MINI?!?! Wow. That must be rare. Please share photos with us!

Sure thing! I have the CP all apart right now, but I'll try and get it back together and snap some pics for ya!
You are right about rare... It has been next to impossible to find parts.. Gotta be patient in this hobby thats for sure.. ::)

MonitorGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 09:41:19 am »
> 3) With the control panel off, how high is the front piece from the absolute outside bottom? Is it flat on top where the control panel rests?
** This piece is 3

gotstik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 10:28:07 am »
> 3) With the control panel off, how high is the front piece from the absolute outside bottom? Is it flat on top where the control panel rests?

Actually, I had meant "How high is the front board that holds the coin door on it from the absolute outside bottom" -- Is it flat on top or is it tapered / rabbitted?

Sorry - I missed that one  ;)

The front panel is 29-7/8" tall. It is square on top. It does however have a flat, (actually with a 1/8" offset halfway along the length) metal strip 2-1/4" wide screwed (4 screws) to the back (with 1" exposed along the length) for the CP to line up against.

That sounds like you are well on your way! Having that marquee helps-those U shaped thing-a-ma-jobs  are few and far between!! For the CP, I don't know if you knew this already but the Galaga mini control panel is also a perfect fit for this cab- if you dont want to fab something.. You can sometimes find those poppin up on the bay..    Again, best wishes, your project sounds very cool!! Chris

gotstik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 10:40:06 am »
>
THANKS SO MUCH for all the other measurements.

MonitorGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 12:27:02 pm »
Thanks.

Actually, I will be mounting the tube directly to a piece of MDF and will not be using a horizontal frame (why they needed the bump out plastic to begin with) so I wont be needing to make the bump out on mine :)

For the CP, since it's a trackball, I have to make a perfect circle with a depression in it to hold it. That will be the hard part. May have to make the metal hole bigger and make sure it has a smooth edge.

I do have a full size Kick upright control panel but it's got a shorter front face and I dont want to cut it down.. I'd rather trade it with someone that could use it.

Oh yeah, though not too important, one other measurement I think I forgot... I assume there are support rails for the monitor on each side?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 10:48:05 pm by MonitorGuru »

gotstik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005, 11:11:51 am »

Are they metal L brackets or are they rabbited wood?

MonitorGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2005, 02:13:58 pm »
> Nice job on the galaxian cab work!  Did you freehand those grooves or do you have a cnc router?  I have an empty galaxian project cab too if you need any measurements off that!

Thanks.  Nope, don't need any measurements, as Galaxian is identical to PacMan, and I already had a pac-man cabinet.   Actually, I build the Galaxian 4.5" shallower than the PacMan (so if it looks a bit "small" in the above pic, that's why)  Obviously they had a lot of wasted space in there!   This way I was able to cut both sides out of the same 49x97 piece of Melamine instead of using 2 :)   In fact, I have fully completed ALL of the Galaxian.. .just havn't posted pictures yet.

I freehanded all of those...well, not free, I did clamp down a board on every one of them (tons of them!!)  Nope, no CNC for me :(  Only took about 5 hours to do both sides I think.  Took almost as long to measure and copy and double check everything.

Ahh... so the mini's didn't use brackets on the side (see the T-----T   structure on the galaxian picture) like the full uprights... they just bracketed to the back and the front..   Well, I will deiviate from that and make mounting rails and mount it with 1/2" mdf around the tube instead... a lot easier to put in and take out.  I will gustimate the alignment on it then.