Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xenon pinball game UPDATE Pics Added  (Read 25742 times)

2PacMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2009, 08:33:45 am
  • PacMan collection
Re: Xenon pinball game UPDATE Pics Added
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2005, 08:16:45 am »
Well, i'm not using the missing keys as a bargaining tool, however, because of this, i am unable to open the machine and check the insides, so i have no idea what this puppy looks like on the inside.   And believe me, he doesn't know locks are $4...this guy knows nothing about arcades.

I actually was just thinking about showing up when he wasn't home and telling his wife i was here to pick up the game, here's my $400.00.  I could be gone and he'd never see me again...but i don't want to be dishonest either, i don't want to look at the game everyday and be reminded of that.  Plus his wife isn't exactly the decision maker....she knows he's rich and she's not gonna do anything to screw up her meal ticket.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2005, 08:55:13 am »

Uh, yeah, especially since that is illegal theft, and you could show up and she would just call him to confirm the sale.  Then you're standing there and she says hang on one second... calls the cops, and they arrive while you're standing there with $400 in your hand.

TheOtherBob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2007, 09:07:39 pm
  • Sunspot activity has increased energy output...
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2005, 09:41:11 am »
You know there could still be a bunch of corrosion on the mpu and it is still working....... for the time being.....

If he really doesn't know much, you might need to educate him as to what you'll need to do to the mpu to fix it... if it needs fixing.

To be fair, maybe you can negotiate a price with an mpu in good condition.  And a price with an mpu with corrosion.  Then drill the lock out right there and take a look.  Keep in mind a replacement mpu is $199.

I've never drilled a lock out so I'm not sure how long this takes.... ;)

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2005, 09:50:06 am »
I've never drilled a lock out so I'm not sure how long this takes.... ;)

About 2 minutes.
NO MORE!!

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2005, 11:33:38 am »

Uh, yeah, especially since that is illegal theft, and you could show up and she would just call him to confirm the sale.

Well, i certainly wouldn't do that, so don't worry....the game is just as much his wife's as it is his, i was just meaning i could just show up offer the wife 400, she'd take it and it'd be out of her hair.  But in any event, i wouldn't do that anyways, i'd much rather not have a pinball than aquire one in a shady fashion.

You know there could still be a bunch of corrosion on the mpu and it is still working....... for the time being.....

That is my main worry, w/o being able to look inside it, who knows what's going on in there.  That's why i don't want to put a ton of money into this thing.  I'm confident i can drill out the locks, but i don't want to do it until the thing is mine, i'm not gonna drill out the locks if he won't sell it to me.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2005, 01:14:58 pm »
He has your number?
My advice, just give up. He knows your price and if he wants to sell, he will call you. Otherwise, you will just seem too eager. You'll never get the "good" price.

If he never calls... Oh well.
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2005, 01:20:33 pm »

Why are you only offering $400?  Is that what you can afford, or are you dinking around his asking price?

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2005, 01:48:56 pm »
Well, bascially i'm offering 400.00 because i know he'll want to negotiate some....i never offer my highest bid because then you leave yourself no negotiating room...i'd go as high as 550.00, maybe 600.00.  He wants 800.00 for it as his initial price.  Thing is, i want a pinball for my game room....Xenon would not be my first choice, it's a little older than what i wanted, but, pinballs are hard to come by in this area, so i gotta take what i can get.  I played it at his house, and honestly, in 15 minutes i was starting to get bored with it.  It's a nice looking pinball and it'd look great in a gameroom, but i was just looking for something a little more modern with more ramps, multiball, etc.  So i'm torn on what to do...basically i don't want to invest a fortune in this thing...like an ealier poster said, a new voice board runs 200.00, plus, the thing probably needs to be shopped for another hundred, etc, etc, i know nothing about fixing pinballs, i've only been into arcades for about a year, so just about everything i'm gonna have to have a tech come out and look at...at a price of 65.00 an hour...i mean, if i buy it for 6 or 7 hundred, i'm looking at investing over 1000.00 to get it working perfectly, i'm just not willing to invest that much in this particular game....and i really don't have the money honestly.  When i saw the game sitting in his garage covered in dust, untouched for years, i thought i could get a good bargain for it since it's obvious he has no use for it and wants nothing to do with it....but if i'm gonna pay upwards of 1,000.00 for it, i might as well get a more modern pinball that i actually want.  I was hoping to get a deal i guess.  :-\  I'm not really  into the 'collectability' of Xenon, i just wanted a fun pinball in my gameroom for a reasonable price, and i thought this might be it.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2005, 01:51:28 pm »

You're not going to get a DMD game, as you've described, for $400.

Clearly, your negotiating game is not effective.  Try offering him what you are actually willing to pay.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2005, 02:32:47 pm »
We'll see....he has not refused my offer, he just said he needs time to think about it....don't be so negative, if he comes back with an offer too high, i'll pass...no big deal to me.  Just thought i'd try to 'save' a classic, because i'm sure within 5 years he'll have that thing in a dumpster when he cleans out his garage.

It's no negotiation 'game' i'm playing, but as everyone knows, you never open up negotiations by starting with your highest price, just doesn't make much sense.  He's just really busy with his job and is not real anxious to sell the machine, so we'll just wait and see.  ;)

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2005, 02:39:14 pm »

It's no negotiation 'game' i'm playing, but as everyone knows, you never open up negotiations by starting with your highest price, just doesn't make much sense. 

I buy everything that way. I offer what I'm willing to pay. If the guy wants more I walk. I don't have the time to invest in "serious negotiations".

In any case it seems that you are not impressed with this machine. I'd love to own it myself, but if you're after something different, then just keep shopping. If you were bored with it after 15 minutes, chances are pretty good that it will end up in your garage gathering dust before too long anyway.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2005, 02:54:59 pm »
In any case it seems that you are not impressed with this machine. I'd love to own it myself, but if you're after something different, then just keep shopping. If you were bored with it after 15 minutes, chances are pretty good that it will end up in your garage gathering dust before too long anyway.

-S

Yeah, you are right about that, i shouldn't buy it unless i truly love it...i'll most likely just forget about it unless i can get it for a deal that i just can't refuse.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2005, 02:56:56 pm »
It's no negotiation 'game' i'm playing, but as everyone knows, you never open up negotiations by starting with your highest price, just doesn't make much sense.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2005, 08:30:28 am »
I defined a negotiation....in no where did the word 'game' come into play. 

Negotiation is the way people agree on a price.  This guy is not a retail store, he doesn't have his games with firm price tags on them in his garage.  He wanted to know what i was willing to pay, he tells me what he was hoping to get for it.  Since he knows nothing about arcades, i expained to him the problems with the game and now he is reconsidering his asking price, if he can point out some good qualities of the game, and some things that i did not originally think of, etc, he might be able to get me to rethink my buying price, hopefully we can meet somewhere in the middle.  That's a negotiation, it's not a game, it's a way to do business.

If you never negotiate on your buying prices, i'm sure you've been screwed numerous times.  You probably could have got many games at a much lower price, but since you always walk into a deal with your highest buying price on the table from the get go, sellers probably jump at the chance to sell to you, i know i would.  How silly does that sound, you walk into a place and say "i'll give you a 1,000.00 for this pacman and not a dollar less, no, don't try to talk me out of it, this is my highest buying price".  ;D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2005, 08:55:14 am »

Negotiation is a game. 

Making a solid offer that you are willing to pay, and either buying or not buying on acceptance or rejection, is not a game.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2005, 10:14:05 am »

Making a solid offer on what you are willing to pay and either buying or not buying on acceptance or rejection, is not a game.

Funny, you just described negotiation pretty much.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 10:15:55 am by 2PacMan »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2005, 10:16:49 am »

Bah, it's all semantics.  Buy the machine!

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2005, 10:28:52 am »
I agree :)

I'll do my best to get the machine!  I'll keep you guys updated...again, thanks for all the advice you've given me regarding this machine over the past month or so.  This board is awesome!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2005, 10:30:07 am »

Keep in mind a good pin is so much harder to get than a good vid... the pins got parted out/trashed a lot quicker.

slycrel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2022, 06:20:59 pm
  • Mmm... Portal.
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2005, 12:00:25 pm »
Since some of you seem to like this pin, saw this on the mr pinball classifieds today:

Xenon, 1979 Bally:  $850 OBO
Works 100%. Playfield has been mylared after significant touchups.
Backglass almost perfect. Cabinet nice, with normal wear. Not a perfect
game, but a good player. Pickup preferred, will ship NAVL.
Rob Williams
williams.rob@verizon.net, Beaverton, Oregon, near 185th and Baseline

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2005, 12:04:31 pm »

I'm totally tapped out, way into red, financially right now to the point that I may sell off most of my machines.  So, even if it were $200, I'm out.