Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Ultra-Mega Massive 49-way Review online at Retroblast!  (Read 25226 times)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re: Super Ultra-Mega Massive 49-way Review online at Retroblast!
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2005, 01:50:59 am »
Steve,

If they don't have Karate Champ Vs., I'm not coming. Wink

lol.  I completely understand : )     However, I know a guy who was trying to sell one to me for like 250$.   He may still have it... I can call to find out, then you can snap it up if you like.   I however do not have any more room for fullsize games : )

You're right, I probably wouldn't want to play most of those games in Rochester with a 49-way joystick, Kensington trackballs maybe, although I'd definitely hit the Robotron for a little authentic slowdown. Grin

Man I tell you... hadnt gotten into it as a kid, cause the screen was too small and I was no good at all back then (died way too fast on that game).   But seeing the real thing in his shop about 2yrs ago.. I decided to try again.  Man, I got so hooked its not even funny.  Me and another friend were making trips over there like every weekend.  Spending at least 3hrs a pop on the thing!  : )    My highest level was 30 I think.  And my freind got to level 34!   But alas.. I think the thing was on easy skill level.  Still, it was quite a feat for us.   Esp when the first week we could only get to level 8 max.

Is it okay if I play Tron with a flightstick and homemade spinner?

Hey, Im not to tell you how to play your games.  I simply have my own opinion on that.    However, Im sure tron is much more forgiving with impropper controls than robotron.   A homemade spinner can work well.  However the flightstick.. may cause that problem with the lightcycles.

How about Asteroids Deluxe with Happ Microswitch buttons?

Well, I have no problem with that.  However.. there is a special feel about the leaf buttons that is hard to describe.  Its effortless and smooth as silk... compared to a micro which is more effort and takes a longer throw to click.   Im still on the fence about adding leaf buttons to my panels due to the complexity and space... but I guess I will find out once the thing takes on a more solidified design.

Does the DOT environmental really make you feel like you're in the movie?

haha : )   Its amazing really!   The cabnet is the most artistic and cool thing Id ever seen up close in person.   Theres lights with fancy plexi art even on the floor
area!  And the stand up section is an angled back standing-seat.  Theres a small hump where your butt rests..  Its very comfortable!   And theres even a 45 degree angle in the front footrest area, so your feet will be angled up as you play - thus making you more comfortable in the seat.     

The 3d holograph effect is amazing.  As is the lighting and artwork.   The quadraphonic sound is really cool too - and it really echos and vibrates through the entire cab. 

I do not  think I felt like I was in the movie : )  But its still a very cool cabnet that does give you a special feel of it own.   The game itself is not the best, but its still fun to give it a go.   

Is the Super Hang-On the one with the bike that you have to lean to steer?  That one always seemed so cool, but incredibly more difficult to control than your standard motorcycle handlebars.

The super hangon is the standup version.  Trust me, Ive played the lean version before.. and that was impossible for that game cause the reaction time is way too fast in that game to keep up with the leaning.   That game, even on easy level, is insanly hard.. but wow, its an adrenalin rush once you get good at it. : )
I think he even got the motor in the controler to vibrate.  Most of them were turned off or broken... so I didnt even know it had that function.  Its very cool.. gives an added feel to the game.

I wonder how often they have to clean the leafs on the Ms. Pac-Man?

This depends on how much play the game gets.  It seems that heavy usage will dirty them much faster.  However, since ms.pacman isnt what it used to be.. they probably do not have to clean it too often.   In my old arcade I think once every 3 months.  The simpsons however was packed with kids all the time and needed it like once month or more.   After the billionth time to bend the leafs back, I had to replace with micros... which amazingly enough fit into the simpsons balltop joysticks pretty well.

I didn't even know that leafs had to be cleaned until you posted here.  Thanks for the info.

Well, its metal touching metal.. and after a while, the metal gets dirty, corroded,
rusty..ect.   Use something like Radio Shacks Electronic cleaner, and a thin peice of material like an old credit card... wrap the card in a soft cloth and wet it with the cleaner... then press the contacts lightly together as you slide the card thru them back and forth several times.

I only play Twilight Zone on VPinmame.

Ive never been a fan of it.. but its rated as a top pin for collectors.  Ive got a black knight 2000 and an Indiana Jones - but they are still in process of restoration.. same for the rest of my games.  Someday, they will be in full swing.

I'm sure they're hiding the Theater of Magic in the back room for the tech guys and their trusted allies.

Hah : )   Actually Rodgers a one man show.  Its just a small place really... but hes crammed a lot in there for sure! : )   

Ive recently been fortunate to play a TOM.  Great fast game... love it.   My friend has a  Tales of the arabian nights - which is also wild.  And just picked up the motherload - a Medievil Madness.   Hes got too many games to list really.

Anyway, I'll try to convince my fiancee and some of her hottest friends to go up to Rochester with me and meet some guys who ONLY play with the perfect controls.

Nice.  Hey, never said Only.. but if theres any way I can, its what I choose.
Playing and arcade full of the real things, is a special feeling thats hard to duplicate.   (If only I had more space and money!  : )

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:37:11 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2005, 02:21:56 am »
Steve,

Thanks for replying so seriously.  Sometimes this tension seems to be all just a matter of tone.  Remember, as much as you flatter me for my reviewing skills ;), I never said the 49-way would feel like the original games, just that it plays amazingly well and you should drop some cash on a set if you really want to verify.  I would actually like to hear what your informed opinions might be. 

Anyway, I find it funny that you would tell me about an obscure joint in Rochester and some of your collector friends' games when I (sarcastically) ask how you expect anyone to relate to your gaming knowledge.

I just checked the link.  I thought it would make me feel more like an expert to post without really knowing what I'm talking about.  Then I just couldn't resist and checked it out.

It's slot-car racing, old-school!  I used to get out books from the library about how to build the tracks and cars.  I even had my own set of the smaller version cars that had those black two-lane track pieces that you could arrange into different shapes.

Then they came out with those little super fast cars with the parts that you couldn't take out and the powerful magnets that kept the cars artificially glued to the track even at excessively blinding speeds.  We used to take the magnets out of the older cars, so they would slide easier, kept the races slower and more interesting.  I never even got to try the big cars, didn't even know they still existed. 

I would have a party there, but $50 an hour pays for a lot of beer, maybe even enough left over for a 49-way joystick, if you get my drift. 

From the site:

Party Package: Consists of 1 hour of Exclusive use of the Giant 145 ft. 8 lane custom built slot car raceway. Includes cars and controllers (cars are color coded to the stripes on the track to keep it nice and simple when they come off the track and crash). Your group will be supervised and a series of short races (both regular& crash and burn) will be run for them. In the final race the top 3 finishers will be awarded Fantasy Raceways bumper stickers. Everyone in your group will also receive a pass to come back for some free track time (within one month following the party) When your group is finished with the hour on the track , tables and chairs are provided to open your presents and bring in your own cake, pizza, pop ect. Eight people can race at once, if there is less than eight people you will still have exclusive use of the track. If there is more than eight people in your group (at no additional charge) races will be rotated.

I encourage everyone to check out the website and let us all know if the DOT in the far background doesn't look like a splendid example of 80's virtual reality.  Actually, I've never ever been in one of those boxes.  I thoroughly enjoyed your description of the experience, no joke.

Really, this is making me feel young again. :D  Thanks a million.

Cheers,
KenToad

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2005, 04:36:27 am »
Steve,

Thanks for replying so seriously.  Sometimes this tension seems to be all just a matter of tone. 

I think much of it is part misinterpretation, and part by ego bruising.  My true interest is of gaming... not to argue, piss people off, and cause trouble.  : )

Remember, as much as you flatter me for my reviewing skills Wink, I never said the 49-way would feel like the original games, just that it plays amazingly well and you should drop some cash on a set if you really want to verify.  I would actually like to hear what your informed opinions might be.

Kentoad, I must say - that its not your review skills that suffer so much as your lack of knowlegde in a mechanical sense, and memmory feel from recent experiences..ect.    So please forgive me if that wasnt clear.

As for cash... I have too little to spend on a gamble for now.  Most my money is tied up in getting my arcade stuff repaired, and my new projects started...ect.   
But I apperciate your wanting to hear my opinion on them as well. ty.

Anyway, I find it funny that you would tell me about an obscure joint in Rochester and some of your collector friends' games when I (sarcastically) ask how you expect anyone to relate to your gaming knowledge.

Well, like I said, Im not about ego trips and hating.  I have a passion for gaming, and even a love for fellow classic gamers.   You know...  people who play games that arnt all FPS's (yuck)   : )   lol     

I try hard not to be too agressive or sarcastic.. negative...ect.  But some people bring out the very worst in a person... and sometimes that gets noticed more than the helpful cheery friendly gamer dude side of things.

As for the slotcar stuff.. I also had one of the 2lane sets.  Was great fun : )  But your right.. those cars went too fast.   The cars I had did slide.  Was fun to slide arround the corners. 

Ive tried the large ones at his track.. and wow...  they are very simular, but a bit more control.  They are blindingly fast.   And for me, I had a real hard time keeping the thing on the track for long.  But the experts almost never hop off the tracks.

I would love to see a slightly slower car set ... and using a computer, pedal sets, and gauges.   If you push your car too fast for too long, the computer would pump the engine tempature up.. and if too high.. would cripple speeds or kill it completely.  : )    Could even have a limited turbo boost system rigged in there : ) 

About the costs.. didnt know it.  However, he does rent time out on the track for 5minute blocks..ect.  So if you just wanted to give one a try, it wouldnt cost much... in fact, he might let you try one for free the first time.   Hes a very cool guy.

Thank you for your kind words.   I may try to snap up some more pics and post them if time permits.  But, some things like DOT env. experience are not fully understood untill you actually climb into it in person.

Sincerely,
 Steve

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:37:11 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2005, 11:56:19 am »

Kentoad, I must say - that its not your review skills that suffer so much as your lack of knowlegde in a mechanical sense, and memmory feel from recent experiences..ect.    So please forgive me if that wasnt clear.

As for cash... I have too little to spend on a gamble for now.  Most my money is tied up in getting my arcade stuff repaired, and my new projects started...ect.   
But I apperciate your wanting to hear my opinion on them as well.

Sincerely,
 Steve

Steve,

Now that's constructive criticism.  You know, something that's merely your own informed opinion, but that also has implications in a larger sense.  I think your criticism will speak for at least several folks on this forum that I can think of offhand.  I think a few of them might even stand with you on that side now that you've toned it down considerably. 

Thanks for clarifying about why you don't want to verify the functioning of the 49-way stick for yourself.  Believe me: I totally understand.

I'd love to see some pics and hear some more details from the DOT environmental.  Post them when you get a chance.

Cheers,
KenToad