Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pinball prices?  (Read 5069 times)

GameOver

• That's right. I'm Abe Froman.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2013, 06:54:31 pm
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
Pinball prices?
« on: June 26, 2005, 05:40:49 pm »
I'm considering getting a pinball machine, probably either a pinbot, bride of pinbot, back to the future, simpsons, or Addams family.  I"m just starting to price these, and an auction just ended on e-bay for a pinbot.  I don't know a lot about these, but it looked real clean & its description made it out like most parts had been replaced & the machine had been cleaned.  It sold for $895.00.  That doesn't seem too bad - is that what these go for?  I know it depends on condition & the game, but I thought pinbot was one of the better ones which could demand a higher price?  I know you still have to add in $200-300 for shipping, but this still seems like a reasonable price.

Is this about right for a game like this in the condition it's in?  Or did this bidder luck out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6187552665&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Pinball prices?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 05:58:51 pm »

That's about right for a good Pinbot.  The Addams Family, a good one, will run you close to $3000.  Probably the same for The Simpsons Pinball Party.  Pins vary wildly in price depending on condition, what work has been done recently, and what machine it is.

I'm considering getting a pinball machine, probably either a pinbot, bride of pinbot, back to the future, simpsons, or Addams family.  I"m just starting to price these, and an auction just ended on e-bay for a pinbot.  I don't know a lot about these, but it looked real clean & its description made it out like most parts had been replaced & the machine had been cleaned.  It sold for $895.00.  That doesn't seem too bad - is that what these go for?  I know it depends on condition & the game, but I thought pinbot was one of the better ones which could demand a higher price?  I know you still have to add in $200-300 for shipping, but this still seems like a reasonable price.

Is this about right for a game like this in the condition it's in?  Or did this bidder luck out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6187552665&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

GameOver

• Offline Offline
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 06:08:47 pm »
Thanks, good to know.  BTW I was talking about the 'original' Simpsons (not sure if it's really the original or not) pinball by Data East, not 'Pinball Party'.  Sounds like that game rocks, but me thinks it's too rich for my blood!  The old Simpsons seems to go fer 8-1500 on e-bay, but I haven't seen an auction on one end yet.  Like I said, I'm just starting to track & price these things.

I've played 'The Addams Family', that's a great pin.  If I do decide to buy, it may be worth close to $3k.  Besides, these seem to hold their price fairly well if I ever decide to sell.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 09:05:01 am »
I've played 'The Addams Family', that's a great pin.

Brunnen-G

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2010, 09:26:00 am
  • Need more space
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 09:46:37 am »
Check out www.mrpinball.com

There's a classifieds section there, and also an auction results page.  Generally better prices for machines in better shape than those on eBay.
Side Arms, Slam Dunk, Xybots, Arachnid Galaxy darts, Pac Man Plus, Dr. Who, Gauntlet, Centipede cocktail, Hyperball, Tempest, Star Wars, Xevious, Super Hang On, S.T.U.N. Runner, Galaga, Space Duel.

GameOver

• Offline Offline
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 05:57:56 pm »
Thanks - I haven't checked MrPinball out but have added it to my favs.

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 07:05:38 am »
Prices according to the 2005 Mr. Pinball Price List
(for a very good condition)

Pinbot: $925
The Machine: Bride of Pinbot: $ 1,275
Back to the Future $1,075
The Simpsons (not Pinball Party) $ 1,425
Addams Family (not Gold edition) $ 2,825

As far as maintenance: there is a lot of cleaning and minor stuff (light bulbs, etc.) at first, but after that they're pretty easy to keep running.

There are some great guides online for troubleshooting, and I've only had to call a "pinball tech" twice for board repair (both simple fixes, I just didn't realize it at the time!)

More pinball repair info than you can ever possibly use:

http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm

I'm currently shopping around for pin #3, but negotiations with the wife have hit a few snags (and bills  :()

Kevin
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 04:37:44 pm »
Actually, I'm in the middle of shopping my first pin, and I've found that ALL of the info at marvin3m.com has been of use.  Just knowing a bit here and a bit there isn't very useful.

GameOver

• Offline Offline
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 09:00:07 pm »

Thanks for the info.  Can you also post the price for a Taxi pin?

Actually, I'm in the middle of shopping my first pin, and I've found that ALL of the info at marvin3m.com has been of use. Just knowing a bit here and a bit there isn't very useful.

Which pin are you shopping for?

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 09:40:26 pm »
There are two quotes for Taxi:

Taxi (Lola) $925
Taxi (Marilyn) $1025

I'm guessing this has to do with the translite artwork...

Kevin

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 11:38:44 am »

Not shopping FOR, shopping one I have.  A shop job, the common term for refurbishing the machine.  It's a LOT of manual work.

GameOver

• Offline Offline
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 05:48:42 pm »

Not shopping FOR, shopping one I have. A shop job, the common term for refurbishing the machine. It's a LOT of manual work.

Yeah...ummmmm...I knew that!   :D

I've seen that term used, and understand it is a major undertaking to replace most of the parts that can wear on a pin table.  I"m sure it'll be way worth your effort, and knowing you did it yourself makes all the difference.  What pin are you shopping?  Got a pic?  Replacing the plastics?  Rubber?  bulbs? Waxing the table?  I'm interested.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 08:49:57 am »

You don't have to replace many parts on a working machine that you are shopping, but you do take each part apart and clean it, replace consumables like coil sleeves and old bulbs.

The one I'm working on now can be found here.

GameOver

• Offline Offline
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 05:59:09 pm »
Ahhhh...very nice.  Sounds like you got a killer deal & are making good progress on the fixes.  I've never seen either of those pins, but sounds like the Twilight Zone is a keeper. 

USSEnterprise

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2007, 11:15:08 pm
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 09:12:46 pm »
I only have one currently, a William's Space Mission from 1975. You will get better prices on electro-mechanical one than on solid state ones. I got mine for $400 in working order with a non peeling backglass.
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 11:22:34 pm »
www.classicpinballs.com   is a good place to look.
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

GameOver

• Offline Offline
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 07:23:06 pm »
I only have one currently, a William's Space Mission from 1975. You will get better prices on electro-mechanical one than on solid state ones. I got mine for $400 in working order with a non peeling backglass.
I play Space Mission on VPinMame.  Pretty cool!  I like the idea of cheaper, but have heard that the electro mechanical pins breakdown alot vs. solid state.  I don't think I want to deal with repairs all the time.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 07:58:05 pm »
1. Where did you find a computer version of Space Mission. I want it!

2. In some respects, you are right that they do break down a lot. But, they are usually very easy problems to fix. On mine, all ive done is replace some bulbs and rebuild the flippers. nothin more.

GameOver

• Offline Offline
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 08:54:20 pm »
Check out http://irpinball.ztnet.com/.  Read the instructions, download the table.   ;)

Hmmm...nice to know about the older pins.  A lot of stuff I've read says they're pretty problematic.  I like the idea of having an older pin, just don't want the headaches!  I'll probably start w/a solid state, then go from there.  I'd like to have a King Pin....

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 10:06:56 pm »
The problem with solid state is the parts you may need. Some of the chips that were in those originally aren't produced anymore. When you get right down to it, an EM machine is mostly relays and solenoids. There is no diagnosing of chips, diodes, transistors, ect. involved.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 10:30:30 pm »
Also, I have the Space Mission file on my PC. What do I use to run it?

GameOver

• Offline Offline
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 10:37:35 pm »
Download the VPinball full install & run it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 10:39:48 pm by GameOver »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2005, 03:51:11 pm »
Hmmm...nice to know about the older pins.  A lot of stuff I've read says they're pretty problematic. 

They're not, if you go to the trouble of fully shopping the pin out when you first get it.  Do a thorough job and that sucker will run indefinitely.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2005, 08:58:46 pm »
I remember being extremely nervous after covering everything in contact cleaner. I popped the playfield up and let it air out for a few hours, and then it worked like new. Technically, your not supposed to use contact cleaner, because it is extremely flammable, and there are many sparks in a machine. If using contact cleaner, unplug the machine and open all covers, and let it sit for a few hours.

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2005, 09:08:48 pm »
I remember being extremely nervous after covering everything in contact cleaner. I popped the playfield up and let it air out for a few hours, and then it worked like new. Technically, your not supposed to use contact cleaner, because it is extremely flammable, and there are many sparks in a machine. If using contact cleaner, unplug the machine and open all covers, and let it sit for a few hours.

Heh...I've heard several stories of novice EM owners setting their machines on fire with contact cleaner!

I'm a big fan of the 1990's pins, myself - DMD displays, music, multiball, lots of playfield toys. I guess I like the pins a video game player would like.  ;)

Still, I wouldn't pass up a Slick Chick if I found one...

Kevin

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2005, 10:31:40 pm »
Neither would I. Thats my favorite machine in MS Pinball arcade. The only thing I hate about the ones from the late eightys and ninetys is the scoring system. I hate the idea of getting 1,000,000 points for launching the ball. And I like basic playfield things: Pops, kickouts, spinners, slingshots, ect. I dont like ones that are all ramps. The only modern ones I'd consider are STTNG and ST:25 anniversery (guess why).

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2005, 10:47:43 pm »
I've got an Attack from Mars, which gives you 1,000,000 points per pop bumper hit, minimum ! It's an absolutely insane scoring system, with an "average" game running around 3-4,000,000,000 points (my personal best is 21 billion). I kind of take it in stride though, as it's in keeping with the overblown Alien Invasion theme of the pin.  :)

I've never liked the fact that you score points just for launching the stupid ball, either...both my Doctor Who and Attack from Mars do that. Dumb.

Heck, check out RetroBlast's front page editorial about my scoring gripes (before I replace it sometime tomorrow!)

Kevin

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2005, 10:53:58 am »
I read that article the other day, good stuff.

Another, more important reason not to use contact cleaner is that it's a liquid and pinball parts are dry movers.  Liquid just attracts dust, mostly the mechanical dust, and ends up in a black grimy gunk that builds up in the parts and will grind them to a halt.

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2005, 11:43:41 am »
plus, overuse can cause the bakelite spacers in the leaf switches to shrink, throwing off adjustment. Check out this site. Its a whole repair guide for EM's and SS's.
http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm

TheOtherBob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2007, 09:07:39 pm
  • Sunspot activity has increased energy output...
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2005, 03:37:59 pm »
Prices according to the 2005 Mr. Pinball Price List
(for a very good condition)

Larry Bieza's guide puts them at:
Pinbot: $950
The Machine: Bride of Pinbot: $ 1,100
Back to the Future $1,100
The Simpsons (not Pinball Party) $ 1,600
Addams Family (not Gold edition) $ 2,800

In good condition as well.

Kevin, Attack from Mars is quite fun.

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2005, 05:58:07 pm »

Kevin, Attack from Mars is quite fun.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2005, 08:01:18 pm »
I've got a William's Space Shuttle that I traded an 88 Cadillac Deville that had a blown engine for it a few years ago........

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2005, 01:07:59 am »
you got a pinball machine for a car? wow!

TheOtherBob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2007, 09:07:39 pm
  • Sunspot activity has increased energy output...
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2005, 12:49:51 pm »
you got a pinball machine for a car? wow!

Fair trade if you ask me.....  ;D

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2005, 01:21:09 pm »
well I didn't want to spend the money on a new or rebuilt engine and the guy needed it for the body......

I think I came out ahead on the deal.........