Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone w/ a JAMMA cab, please help  (Read 1294 times)

ninjazx7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2006, 11:33:02 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Anyone w/ a JAMMA cab, please help
« on: December 16, 2002, 12:13:29 pm »
Hi guys, I was was wondering how you have your JAMMA cabinet wired up. I was told to have all the power wires from the JAMMA harness attached to the Power Supply, except for one 12V that goes to the coindoors. Does this make sense?

The issue I'm running into is that I have a convertor that I just received and it needs a Ground and +5V wire to run. The diagram that came with the unit shows the using a wire from the JAMMA harness to power it, but based off of another suggestion, all of them are going to the PS.

Here are the 2 conflicting sites that I have:
http://www.therealbobroberts.com/  (I emailed Bob and he confirmed to run all the wires in the "power" bundle to the PS.
and
http://www.jrok.com/hardware/JAMMA_hookup.png

Lemme know how you guys  have yours hooked up, and what you think the best thing to do it.

Thanks,
Matt

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re:Anyone w/ a JAMMA cab, please help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 01:02:55 pm »
You are confusing the regular power connections on the JAMMA harness with the ones to connect the JROK converter. The JAMMA harness is the main junction point for all the power from your power supply.  The wires that are provided for these power connections go back to your power supply.  Now with that done you can connect the JROCK converter with new wires to the same pins on the JAMMA connector to supply it with power.  The JAMMA connector is used as it has all the power and signal connections that the converter needs but these are separate wires.  

This is better put in a picture.  

BobA

ninjazx7

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 02:44:44 pm »
BobA -  

Thanks for the pic. I think I have it, but just to clarify....

I leave all 11 wires from the JAMMA harness connected to the Power Supply. Then I will take the power wires from the JROCK unit and connect it to any one of the +5V wires/connectors on the JAMMA harness. Is this right?

If so, can I just splice into one of the wires, or should I add it into the actual harness? Also, would it just be easier to connect the JROCK unit directly to the Power Supply?

Thanks alot for your help.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 03:35:03 pm »
Yes leave the jamma to PS wires alone.   You can pick up the 5v and Gnd wherever it is convenient for you.  The PS might be an easier place then at the jamma connector.  A solid junction at the PS is preferable to a splice.  Makes it neater and easier to maintain.

BobA

ninjazx7

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 03:41:28 pm »
Cool....thanks alot for your help. I'm going to try and hook everything up to the TV tonight and see how the picture looks....if it works (crossing fingers...). Thanks again for the explaination.