Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Multiple MICE (cursors) in windows?  (Read 1666 times)

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Multiple MICE (cursors) in windows?
« on: December 13, 2002, 06:47:40 pm »
Is it possible to have multiple mice on a windows box.  I'm NOT talking about two physical mice controlling one cursor.  I'm talking about two physical mice EACH controlling their own cursor on the desktop...anyone have any clues?  

Jakobud

Darkstalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2010, 12:55:36 am
  • A legend in my spare time...
Re:Multiple MICE (cursors) in windows?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 12:05:17 am »
Not that I know off...
Still in the collecting parts and ideas phase of cabinet building.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 07:29:17 am »
Not in windows desktop itself without some major driver and system changes.  Also depends on which windows you are taking about.  

However, it is possible to build an application that draws two pointers itself instead of letting windows draw it's pointer.  The app would then track it's pointers instead of the invisible windows pointer.  Here's one such app: http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/kiddesign/kidpad.shtml but it only works on winMe/9x with USB mice.  (I based Mame:Analog+ off of the methods used here.)  

I understand that there also is a way to do multiple pointers in winXP, but it's a different method that might not be fast enough for playing games (mame), although good enough for normal windows applications.  It has to do with RAWINPUT and RAWMOUSE (try searching microsoft for more data).  This method only works in winXP, though, and I am not as influent in it as the first method.

Microsoft still believes in the Personal part of PCs, and the one user, one monitor one keyboard, and one mouse assumptions always grouped with the "Personal Computer" theory. :P  (Actually, the first two are fading away, years after they left the workstation sceen.)  This makes it hard to do anything that does not fit the "personal" ideal.  I say "So what if it has personal in the name?  What's in a name?  A rose by the name of workstation would run just as fast."  (sorry Will, had to paraphrase you)
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 02:54:06 am »
Yeah okay, I was not expecting anyone would know much about this.  If you haven't already figured it out, I am asking this with respect to the 2-player ActLabs lightgun issue.  Their gun only supports one player at a time because it's emulating mouse movement/clicks.  SO I'm thinking....get two mice support and you might be able to hack multiple lightgun support....

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 03:45:48 am »
Yeah okay, I was not expecting anyone would know much about this.  If you haven't already figured it out, I am asking this with respect to the 2-player ActLabs lightgun issue.  Their gun only supports one player at a time because it's emulating mouse movement/clicks.  SO I'm thinking....get two mice support and you might be able to hack multiple lightgun support....

Tell that too MS. >:( :-X :'(  

(I'm mad at microsoft, not you Jakobud. :) )

Actually, two lightguns in mame in XP is a possiblity, I think, but I don't have a lightgun and don't have XP, so I can't test it. :-\  I might be getting a lightgun for the holidays, but I doubt I'll get XP until I buy a new computer.  If anyone else wants to work on this winXP RAWINPUT method, I could help you in the mame programming.  Not sure about what's needed AFA drivers or hacking the lightgun's video box, though.

Multiple lightguns, even in analog+, currently is not possible in winMe/9x AFAIK. :'(  Like I said, I can't test it without that lightgun (hopefully already wrapped under the christmas tree).
Robin
Knowledge is Power