Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DOSCab indexing  (Read 4689 times)

GadgetGeek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
DOSCab indexing
« on: June 21, 2005, 11:04:10 pm »
Got my sound issues resolved and gotta say, so far so good on DOSCab.  My music collection is on a different machine so indexing is going fairly slow.  I've seen others say they run DOS/WinCab on the machine with the music and then copy over the indexes.  A couple questions regarding this...does the path get stored in any of the index files?  On the DOS machine, the music is mapped to g:, but on the actual machine, it is on d:.  Will that cause any problems?
Second, is it possible to run either DOSCab or WinCab in a manner that it builds the indexes and then exits?  Then I could set up a script to index nightly and copy the indexes to the appropriate machine.
I have not read through all the comments in the jukebox.ini file yet, so maybe these issues are addressed in there, but I didn't see the info on a cursory glance with a 5 year old helper.
Thanks for the great work on this program.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: DOSCab indexing
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 07:46:58 am »
Got my sound issues resolved and gotta say, so far so good on DOSCab.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Lave Laar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2022, 06:23:13 am
    • Freeware arcade related programs
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 02:54:28 pm »
You should be able to do it with a batchfile.
Create two additional folders in your doscab folder, one called "update" and one "noupdate".
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 02:58:43 pm by Lave Laar »

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • whatever
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 04:51:00 pm »
Found out today that DOSCab and WinCab indexes are named differently, so I can't run it on one machine and copy the results to the dedicated machine.  And DOSCab won't run on the main machine (sound card won't initialize)  Oh well, I think I can put the machine on an x-10 switch and set it up to power-off, then power on each night (morning) at approx 3 am or so.  Autoexec to DOSCab and by the time I need it, any updated indexes should be built.
Any problems with a hard powerdown from DOSCab?

Also, using DOSCab with the CD Skin, it is sorting by album name, not artist name.  I assume I just need to tweak something in one of the ini files, but haven't found it yet.  So instead of Adam Ant being my first album, it is Prince - 1999.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 07:18:26 am »
Found out today that DOSCab and WinCab indexes are named differently, so I can't run it on one machine and copy the results to the dedicated machine.
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 08:32:42 am »
To expand on this: The jukebox.db file is the actual databse that both DOSCab and WinCab share.  The file indexes (*.iwx and *.idx) are ONLY used if indexing is disabled.

There was a bug where if the index file wasn't present, DOSCab would reindex the database; I've fixed this, but I don't remember if the fix got into version b7 or if is in the yet to be released b8.
--Chris

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • whatever
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 08:53:07 am »
To expand on this: The jukebox.db file is the actual databse that both DOSCab and WinCab share.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 02:58:34 am »
Also, using DOSCab with the CD Skin, it is sorting by album name, not artist name.
--Chris