Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wincab skins questions  (Read 5243 times)

pacman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2007, 09:51:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wincab skins questions
« on: June 20, 2005, 05:09:42 am »
I really like the new cd4-1 skin which displays song titles sorted by albums but when I run it on my cab in 640x480 it is impossible to read text as it comes out too small. Is there a way to have a better resolution with this skin, do I need to update the skn file then ? ???

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Wincab skins questions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:46:13 am »
I really like the new cd4-1 skin which displays song titles sorted by albums but when I run it on my cab in 640x480 it is impossible to read text as it comes out too small. Is there a way to have a better resolution with this skin, do I need to update the skn file then ? ???
You'll have to tinker with the skin.  Edit cd4-1.skn and look in the [titlestrips] section for these lines:

SongsPerStrip=CD
Font=dvsans.ttf
FontSize=14
SmallFont=dvsansc.ttf
SmallFontSize=12

A couple of things you can do:

- Try a different font.  Tahoma looks better at small sizes than the DejaVu font, but I can't redistribute it.  You're likely to have it in your Windows\Fonts folder; find it and put the path to it in Font and SmallFont.

- Increase the font size.  This may reduce the number of songs per CD.

- Try a bold font, like dvsansb.ttf for the Font and dvsansbc.ttf for the SmallFont.

--Chrus
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

pacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 10:06:18 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your tips.. ;) but do you mean that the number of songs per Album is limited ? I am asking that because I would like to use your Wincab to play the Top 100 Billboard of every year from 1975 to 1999 meaning that each album will have 100 titles... ::) ::)

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 10:11:23 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your tips.. ;) but do you mean that the number of songs per Album is limited ? I am asking that because I would like to use your Wincab to play the Top 100 Billboard of every year from 1975 to 1999 meaning that each album will have 100 titles... ::) ::)
It will split those into multiple albums.  WinCab  tries to simulate an electromechanical juke, not a video juke, so there are no scroll bars.  If you have a 30-track album, you'll see one album with tracks 1-14, a second album with tracks 15-28 (labelled 01-14, but with a different album number), and a third album with the remaining two tracks.  All three should show the same album cover art, if all the songs came from the same folder.

--Chris
--Chris

pacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 05:34:11 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your clarification...I will try then to update the skn file for a better result ;D ;D

Thanks

pacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 03:29:20 pm »
Hi Chris,

I have tried to play with settings as per your suggestions and now I can have something more readable but the thing is that song name is not fully displayed when too long;

I would suggest to do also a cd2-1 skin which would allow a better display for low resolution arcade monitor (640x480 and lower)...

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 03:37:21 pm »
Hi Chris,

I have tried to play with settings as per your suggestions and now I can have something more readable but the thing is that song name is not fully displayed when too long;

I would suggest to do also a cd2-1 skin which would allow a better display for low resolution arcade monitor (640x480 and lower)...
Yeah, I need to create lots and lots more skins...

A cd2-1.skn would look almost exactly like cd4-1.skn, except for these changes:

In [Titlestrips]:

Width=987

In [StripGrid]:

cols=1

That should be all you need to convert it to a two-album display with a really wide song title area.  (This is off the top of my head; I haven't tested it.)

--Chris
--Chris

pacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 04:27:13 am »
Hi Chris,

Could you please specify where [StripeGrid] is located in the skn file as I do not find him ??? ???

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 07:41:10 am »
Hi Chris,

Could you please specify where [StripeGrid] is located in the skn file as I do not find him ??? ???
It's [StripGrid], not [StripeGrid].  It's the section right after [Titlestrips], and just before all the icons. The whole StripGrid section looks like this:

[StripGrid]
x=18
y=21
rows=2
cols=2
rowspace=7
colspace=27
CoverArtSide=Left
CoverArtSpace=4

So 2 rows and 2 columns make up the 4 albums you see; you're reducing this to 2 rows in 1 column.  rowspace and colspace are the size of the gap between rows and columns, CoverArtSide is which side of the titlecard/art pair the album art appears on, and CoverArtSpace is the gap between the art and the title card.

--Chris

--Chris

pacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 08:02:03 am »
Hi Chris,

Ooopps sorry OK I figured it out now.... :P :P :P I will give it a try this evening and let you know then ;) ;)

Thanks for your help!