Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DOSCab - Two questions  (Read 5492 times)

GadgetGeek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
DOSCab - Two questions
« on: June 15, 2005, 08:53:15 am »
First question is really applicable to either DOSCab or WinCab.  I know you remove the "The" from artist name before performing alphabetization.  How would Eric Clapton be classified...under "E" for Eric or "C" for Clapton?  If I go to the record store to purchase one of his releases, I would look under C.  I'm guessing you'd have him under "E".  (I know, if I'd install it, I could see myself)

Second, any advice on getting networking to work on a DOS machine?  My target machine does not really like W98SE and it won't handle anything newer than that.  However, my music archive is on a different machine, and that is the way I'd like to keep it.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: DOSCab - Two questions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 09:03:15 am »
First question is really applicable to either DOSCab or WinCab.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • whatever
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 09:39:30 am »
Thanks.  I expected as much on the artists and I've been ripping under that assumption.  And now that you've added CD skins, DOSCab is a viable option for me

Regarding the networking, I was unaware of the Ghost option so I'll look into that a bit.  I knew about mapping network drives.  I've actually spent a fair amount of time in a networked DOS environment in my younger days, I just didn't have to do the network setup at the time.  Guess its time to get my hands dirty again.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 09:44:07 am »
Regarding the networking, I was unaware of the Ghost option so I'll look into that a bit.
--Chris

garyh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2011, 02:30:17 am
  • If God rides a Harley then the devil rides an LC.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 04:19:26 pm »
Chris

For the sorting "problem" you could use a mapping text file e.g.

Eric Clapton=Clapton, Eric
Suzanne Vega=Vega, Suzanne

that maps artist name in tag to artist name for sorting. Naturally it would be our responsibility to create and modify our own entries.

One for the wishlist . . .  . ?

regards

Gary

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 11:54:33 am »
A quickie on the dos networking - I found that Barts Bootable Network Floppy a godsend.

http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

Its completely modular so you can choose what to include, supports loads of NICs, and the first time you run it you can set up your parameters, included mapped network drives like \\mypcserver\mp3share, which can automap next boot. I copied it to a HD to get a fast booting dos network.

Worked an absolute treat with Doscab. I only ditched it as I was always planning to go wireless, and came completely unstuck with no wireless dos support at all. (I think a

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • whatever
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 01:24:30 pm »
Thanks.  I've stumbled across Barts stuff before and saw this last night.  I'm hoping to get a wee bit of time this weekend to experiment.

richms

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2022, 02:33:54 am
  • s92a sucks
    • richms.com
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 10:26:43 pm »
Worked an absolute treat with Doscab. I only ditched it as I was always planning to go wireless, and came completely unstuck with no wireless dos support at all. (I think a

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 10:35:22 pm »
--Chris

richms

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2022, 02:33:54 am
  • s92a sucks
    • richms.com
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 10:52:21 pm »
That viewsonic one is wep only, they cant give those away nowdays.

The wrt54g is a router, but its usually cheaper then the wap54g which is the AP, and it has more ethernet ports so you can plug more things into it. - it wont do 802.1x authentication however so your not as secure as it could be.

It needs the 3rd party firmware to get client and wds bridge modes, and WPA doesnt seem to work in client, but bridge is fine, so long as your other AP will connect to it. I have all linksys wireless aps here and its pretty reliable.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 08:57:22 am »
Hey thanks - you are right of course, I hooked up a friends 11b access point just fine (think that was a linksys one - aimed at an Xbox or something, but really just an access point). However at the time I was attempted to build a wireless mp3 player that was very small - no HD, was booting to DOS off a compact flash, mini-itx so no fans, and was going to wireless stream the mp3 to DosCab. So needed a small internal wireless solution (or at the most a USB wireless stick).

However, Doscab does not stream mp3's, which while is ok for a 3-4 meg mp3 (small delay as file is transferred) I have a large amount on CD mixes in my collection (100meg+) and a lot of high bitrate files (10meg songs). Problem is wireless network is shared, which really kills file transfers when in use, and those big mixes are a no no.

So went with windows, which meant needing an HD, which killed off the project....

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • whatever
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 09:18:23 am »
Got a little bit of time over the weekend and did get my DOS (W98 direct booting to DOS) machine setup and networked.  I experimented with Bart's Network Boot Disk mentioned above, but ended up using info at http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/doscltcp.htm to get my network connections working.

DOSCab running mostly, but I'm pretty sure I've got my sound drivers messed up.  Used the ones that came with it (ALS 4000), but saw in other threads that there is a better driver out there.  Hopefully tonite I'll get that downloaded and installed and that will cure my problem (song loads, but freezes at 0:00...which other threads indicate is a sound problem).

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 09:39:56 am »
DOSCab running mostly, but I'm pretty sure I've got my sound drivers messed up.
--Chris