Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A little help for a newbie  (Read 2373 times)

Phantoms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
A little help for a newbie
« on: May 01, 2002, 02:41:48 pm »
Okay, I get the part about the keyboard matrix. How do I map it? How do I wire stuff? I am going for an 8 way joystick/10 pushbutton design. Oh, and I'm using the keyboard hack method.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: A little help for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 04:04:33 pm »
dont hack a keyboard... dont hack a keyboard... don't hack a keyboard.

I've never heard anyone really having a good keyboard hack... but I've read many many times about people spending a TON of time and not being able to press enought buttons to play most games.  Or not able to press them fast enough.

Troubles with keyboard hacks.  They aren't consistent.  Keyboard encoders they use can be different for the same brand keyboard same model year... So no finding the right brand...  

But an Encoder (best solution by far).  Ipac will do you great (28 connections), configurable, fast, great guy!  (just sent me out extra chips for my optipac because I fried my board... it was my fault... THANKS!!!)

Or... if you want to hack something... definately a great goal.  Hack a joypad.  They are made to work with each button pressed.  They don't have ghosting.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
What LilWolf Said!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 04:38:31 am »
Absolutely, I completely recommend going with an encoder for the reasons listed above.

However, if you are stubborn and want to attempt a keyboard hack, more info than you would ever want to know is available here: http://www.mameworld.net/emuadvice/keyhack2.html
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Phantoms

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 01:44:55 pm »
I'm not interested in spending alot of money though.

delta88

• I didn't try to trick anyone - Fair warning was given
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 09:53:16 pm
  • This place is still here?
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2002, 09:53:52 pm »
keyboard hacks work well if you want olny one player controls....tested an should work....to much more is a no go :(

mattv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2022, 06:33:25 am
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2002, 02:30:01 pm »
Young people today... Always looking for the easy way :-)
If the guy wants to make a keyboard hack good for him!

I'ts possible to get a keyboard hack working well, just not easy.

This site was linked on the main page a while back and should have all the answers you need.
http://digitalpuppy.tripod.com/kbhack.htm

You may also want to think about buying / making a keyboard splitter so you can have you controls and a normal keyboard plugged in at the same time, Stephen Hans has a good site with details on this but I can't find a link for it at the moment.

Having said all that, I destroyed 2 perfectly good motherboards while perfecting my keyboard hack (2 players, 6 buttons per player). So for me at least I could have bought 4 encoders and still come out ahead.

Buying an encoder is probably the best way to go, especially since there is not much support around for keyboard hacks any more - I know i'm certainly not keen to go back.