Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: help with a wobbly control panel base (showcase cab)  (Read 3672 times)

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
Re: help with a wobbly control panel base (showcase cab)
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 05:51:31 pm »
You could do the same thing with a 2x whatever size is larger than what you need....just make it long enough to reach the front of your pedestal (where the coin door is) and an equal length back into the base.  You also could take a sheet of half-inch or quarter-inch ply and screw it to the bottom of the whole shebang, which will avoid the whole ugliness-atop-the-good-looking-stuff.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

IntruderAlert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2007, 09:10:59 am
  • Chicken.. Fight Like A Robot
    • Intruder Alert
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 06:27:45 pm »

in that case.. why not put a piece of 2x4 inside going across behind the 2 little pieces of wood and secure it into place with some screws.
Then open or take off your coin door and shoot several screws from the inside of the control panel cabinet into the new 2x4
You may want to mark it off and pre-drill from the outside first to make sure that you're going to hit the 2x4

hulkster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2005, 09:09:04 am »
okay ive thought about this some more, and im wondering if i take 2, 2x4's or 2xwhatever's and just run them from the control panel base to the monitor base and screw them in the bottom of each....will that stabalize it?  i guess i could always add more after that, but im thinking two thick boards screwed to each base would hold it.  what do you think?

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2005, 06:55:13 pm »
It'd prolly work, but I'd do like what I was trying to say, and Intruder Alert made sensible.  Take the 2xwhatevers and run them inside, that way, if your pedestal wants to rock backwards, the 2x keeps it from doing so because the other end is inside the base, keeping it in place.  If it tries to rock forward, the 2x keeps it from doing so, again, keeping it in place.  If you can cut it to the right width, you might not even have to screw it in place, or you can run two more 2x's across, making a big square that doesn't need to be screwed in place.

How tall is that opening?  Looks like 6-ish inches.

I'll see if I can whip up a pic

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2005, 07:14:47 pm »
Allright, try not to get caught up in admiring my mad Photoshop skillz ;D

The yellow represents the 2x-whatever and you'll slide it into that opening in the pedestal.  If you just make a simple square frame, you prolly won't even need to screw it in place.  That should take care of your problem, and if it's still slightly wobbly, screw it down, and that should be the end of your problems.

IntruderAlert

• Offline Offline
    • Intruder Alert
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2005, 11:21:40 pm »
well.. that's not exactly what I was trying to say either
so I decided that I'd better render some visual aids as well

here was my first idea:

But right off the bat I'm thinking about 2 long pieces of MDF maybe 6" wide or so screwed along the bottom of the entire thing on the right and left sides like baseboard trim on a wall with several screws in each section
You'd want the screws long enough to go almost through or all of the way through 
Recess the screws a little and fill in with spackling, paint it all black of course and put black T-Mold on the edges of it
The plywood or MDF "trim" would run on the outside along the entire length of the right and left sides as indicated by the dark areas in this picture:

..and here was my second idea:
in that case.. why not put a piece of 2x4 inside going across behind the 2 little pieces of wood and secure it into place with some screws.
Then open or take off your coin door and shoot several screws from the inside of the control panel cabinet into the new 2x4
You may want to mark it off and pre-drill from the outside first to make sure that you're going to hit the 2x4

the 2x4 would go across the opening as shown in this picture just behind the little pieces of wood that you have on each side:

then you would shoot screws into the 2x4 from inside the control panel cabinet like this:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 11:23:12 pm by IntruderAlert »

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2005, 08:44:25 am »
hmm, well IntruderAlert that first idea would require me to paint those outside beams so im not all fired about that one.  the next one sounds good, but the only problem is that my cp base is not flat like you are showing there.  that would be a good idea if my cp base was flat at the back part. 

DrewKaree your idea seems the mose feasible for me to try at this point.  im pretty sure it will work too.  i may just go get some 2xwhatevers and put them along the bottom of the bases though.  the square thing is a good idea, but my cp base is narrower than my monitor base so it wouldnt be as stable.  so im just going to screw the boards into the bottoms.  im guessing some really long wood screws would be best?

IntruderAlert

• Offline Offline
    • Intruder Alert
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2005, 08:59:45 am »
yeah

and since your carpet is so spongy it might be a good idea to bring in a piece of plywood large enough to set everything on while you screw it all together just to make it a little easier to line everything up

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2005, 09:23:43 am »
yeah

and since your carpet is so spongy it might be a good idea to bring in a piece of plywood large enough to set everything on while you screw it all together just to make it a little easier to line everything up

good call.  too bad im at work right now  :(

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2005, 09:40:51 am »
so do you think wood screws will be good enough?  i mean, this thing probably wont be moving for about 5 years or so. 

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2005, 09:52:48 am »

i may just go get some 2xwhatevers and put them along the bottom of the bases though. the square thing is a good idea, but my cp base is narrower than my monitor base so it wouldnt be as stable. so im just going to screw the boards into the bottoms. im guessing some really long wood screws would be best?

I wanna make sure I'm explaining myself well.  For explanation's sake, let's say you'll be using a 2x6 and the opening on your monitor tower thingy is 6" tall by 20" wide.

You'll take the 2x6 and put it into the opening with the 6" side going straight up and down....one on one side, the second on the other side.  That means the 20" wide opening will be reduced to a 16" opening (let's just say for this explanation a 2x is EXACTLY 2")

Does all that sound like what you were thinking when I explained it?

And if the 2x-whatever's fit in there well, you shouldn't need any plywood either.  Have the wife (or a buddy) push the CP pedestal at the bottom to square up and remove the gap between the pedestal and the monitor base, and just screw into the 2x-whatever's.  The 2x's, after being screwed into, will help keep everything level and square as well, so they serve a few purposes.

I think you're gonna be fine with a 2" screw.  Using longer screws may end up splitting the 2x or coming out the side, and they're just overkill....like using liquid nails when elmer's glue is already more than enough ;D

If you need a better explanation, you'll have to shoot me a pm....if you MUST do this quickly, give it a go.  I'm unavailable in a few hours until Sunday

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2005, 09:53:55 am »
Coarse thread drywall screws will work just as well, be cheaper, and be easier to blend in if a few of 'em show

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2005, 10:10:08 am »
oooookay....i think we are going about this two different ways.  i was talking about taking my 2x's and laying them flat (the wide part would be laying down) parrallel to each other.  then i would just take some wood screws and screw the boards straight into the bottom piece of wood on each base.

thats my idea...but yours sounds more industrial strength...although im still not understanding what you are saying.  you have to draw me a pic  ;D

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2005, 10:32:06 am »
oooookay....i think we are going about this two different ways.  i was talking about taking my 2x's and laying them flat (the wide part would be laying down) parrallel to each other.  then i would just take some wood screws and screw the boards straight into the bottom piece of wood on each base.

thats my idea...but yours sounds more industrial strength...although im still not understanding what you are saying.  you have to draw me a pic  ;D

Your idea will definitely work.  That was my original idea, but I didn't know if you'd want to go that route, and I was thinking of something that could be concealed.  Going that route, I'd use 2x6's AT LEAST (8's if your base is wide enough) and I think that'll work just fine.

I couldn't find the pics I have of your CP base, but I'm afraid I was thinking something that isn't present....I thought the CP base had an opening on it as well which would allow the 2x's to be run from the front of your CP INSIDE into the monitor base.

The easy way is the way you're thinking of, and exactly what I first thought of.  You'll be fine that way, bro! ;D

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2005, 10:49:18 am »

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2005, 11:11:42 am »
Yep. 

It'll be stouter to turn the "skis" on their sides, but you can always unscrew the screws and re-do it if you think the skis laid flat are almost perfect but you want a touch more sturdiness.

If the skis laid flat idea works, then no worries at all, and you're on your way

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2005, 11:19:24 am »
well i dont see how turning the skis on their sides would make it more stable.  they wouldnt be resting up against anything, they would just kinda be standing upright held in by i guess L brackets...not sturdy. 

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2005, 09:43:12 pm »
Alright, you're not following me, I can see that.

You wouldn't need a single L bracket at all, in fact, it would be a waste of money to even throw them in there. 

You would be buying a larger-than-the-opening 2x-whatever, with the "whatever measurement being trimmed in order to fit it into the opening, and then screwing into that from either the top or the bottom to hold it into place. 

The way I'm describing it, the 2x would be touching both the top and the bottom of the opening, one on each side, giving you strength and support on BOTH the top and the bottom, and also keeping it from tipping either back or forward.  Done properly, screws might not even be necessary, and it'd STILL work.

Your skis laid flat idea, unless your CP base opening is exactly the height of the shorter dimension of a 2x, won't be as sturdy and will allow your CP to rock backwards a touch.  Maybe sturdy enough for your purposes, in which case it will work perfectly. 

I don't know what I'm missing in my explanation of my idea, but my idea is strength by physics, not with L-brackets.  Hopefully your idea worked.  Let us know what you did so we can learn from you.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2005, 10:14:09 pm »
okay, i finally understand what you are saying...BUT....it wont work.  the monitor base opening is like 6" high...no problem...but the cp base is completely wide open.  the opening is about as high as the coin door, so i can just stick some boards in there.  if you remember from my earlier comments about how i screwed up in the beginning by making the cp base too high, and having to cut off the stablizing section of the cp base, this is why i have a huge opening in the back and why i cant do what you are talking about.  still, screwing two boards into the bottoms of each of the bases will not be a big task.  i went to home depot yesterday to get the boards, but they wouldnt fit in my car, so im going to have to do it next week some time.  ill keep you updated.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2005, 10:20:26 am »
okay i know its been like 8 years since i asked this question, but i finally got some of this done. 

i got some boards and layed them across the bottom of my cp base and monitor base and drilled them in.  it helped a little, but it was still wobbly.  although i was a lot more confident that it wouldnt topple over or anything because it is now attached.  so then i decided to get some cinder blocks and put them in the cp base.  of course they wouldnt fit, so i had to break them up with a hammer.  so i put broken up pieces of two cinder blocks in the base, and now its quite a bit more solid, but still a little bit wobbly...but not much.  im thinking about getting some sand bags and maybe that would be better.  any thoughts??

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2005, 10:37:38 am »
okay i know its been like 8 years since i asked this question, but i finally got some of this done. 

i got some boards and layed them across the bottom of my cp base and monitor base and drilled them in.  it helped a little, but it was still wobbly.  although i was a lot more confident that it wouldnt topple over or anything because it is now attached.  so then i decided to get some cinder blocks and put them in the cp base.  of course they wouldnt fit, so i had to break them up with a hammer.  so i put broken up pieces of two cinder blocks in the base, and now its quite a bit more solid, but still a little bit wobbly...but not much.  im thinking about getting some sand bags and maybe that would be better.  any thoughts??

You got pics of what went down so we can see if we can improve on that?

Get those polybagged tubes of sand if you get sand.  Duct tape the piss outta the bags OUTSIDE before you bring 'em in. 

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2005, 10:59:18 am »
yeah ill take some pics tonight.  and if i get bags of sand, I'll probably double bag them in garbage bags...that will be easier than duct tape dont ya think?

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2005, 11:05:08 am »
yeah ill take some pics tonight.  and if i get bags of sand, I'll probably double bag them in garbage bags...that will be easier than duct tape dont ya think?

I speak from experience here.  Easier than duct tape, yes.  When you end up poking a hole in those bags though, you'll be wishing you duct taped it.  My wife NEVER lets me forget that day.  The poly bag and the duct tape will make that bag the closest thing to bulletproof you can get.  Seriously, don't get that paper-bagged sand.  Those bust REALLY easy.  They make some white-colored poly fabric tube of sand they sell at Home Depot.  I think a single tube will fit and work in your CP stand.  Should cost $2.50 ish.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2005, 01:32:30 pm »
how heavy do those get?  i need some significant weight.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2005, 01:44:16 pm »
how heavy do those get?  i need some significant weight.

I think the tubes run ~30 lbs.  Not positive though.  The paper bags of sand are usually 20 pounders, and these hold more.