Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Adding extra console controller cables.  (Read 2351 times)

wilsonhall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Adding extra console controller cables.
« on: May 05, 2002, 12:44:03 pm »
I bought a Mas system arcade stick off Ebay roughly a year ago and I would like to install additional controller cable for my PS2. Now the setup looks simple enough.  They seem to have a custom board that would allow for additional controller cables to be installed.  But what has me stumped is the chip soldered on the existing board.  For all intents and purposes it looks like an encoder chip for the dreamcast controller.  There are also additional spaces allotted for a PS2, PSx, and n64 chip.  I'm guessing I'll need an encoder chip, if that is infact what these allotted spaces are for.  If so, is their a place that sells these chips or maybe generic versions?  Or would the PS2 controller have this chip(I will investigate this when I return home).  

Sorry if I sound like a newb, but  I would very much like to avoid, ripping a new PS2 Controller and going through the hassle of building an extra Joystick.  I'd much rather add a PS2 cable to my existing Joystick, if at all possible.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

slug54

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2014, 09:00:21 pm
  • Man, I hope this cab fits through the door way!
    • Arcade Extreme
Re: Adding extra console controller cables.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2002, 03:26:50 pm »
If its just a playstation or playstation2 extention cacle your looking for ,Best Buys has them for $4.99
                                  Slug54

enemyace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2003, 01:23:43 pm
  • You repo men, you're all out to @!$#in' lunch!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2002, 06:42:59 pm »
When I get a dreamcast and build my cab or control panel or whatever, I'll probably buy some extension cables and run them out to the front of the box and mount them there. I'll also have extra gameports there for my sidewinders.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2002, 07:54:59 pm »
If you have a MAS Systems Prostick it looks like they offer it in many different controller setups.   If they have left spots on the internal controller board for the different interfaces I would think that the only place that you will get the right pieces to add a PS2 interface to fit the board that you have is from them.  

The following info page gives the cost of the different options when ordering a Prostick.

http://www.massystems.com/ProStick.html

Your other option would be to hack a ps2 controller.

Try the manufacturer and see what they say.

Bob

toilet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2005, 11:53:45 am
    • Briefcase Emulator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 08:26:33 pm »
Hey. I have two MAS sticks that are roughly 5 years old (PSX). When the dual shock controllers and subsequent games came out, my sticks started bunking. Apparently the encoder chip they used at the time could not handle the 'rumble' signal coming from the psx.

I mention this because my options were send it back to them or do something about it myself. I chose the later, hacking apart a budget psx controller and soldering it in. It was easy and works great. However, I didn't have to worry about leaving their pcb in the stick, which from the sound of it you'd like to keep it in there.

At the time the MAS people were totally open to me sending the stick back and getting the PCB replaced, at a somewhat slimey $25 per stick.

They are pricey but I bet they would be open to having you ship the stick to them, pay for the added controller, and ship it back.

As far as finding and putting on your own chip, I don't see that happening. They are fairly proprietary, and at the very least ambiguous enough to be a lot more work that working in another controller in there.

Hope that helps.