Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bezel cut ugly, can it be fixed?  (Read 3965 times)

b3atmania

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2005, 09:48:57 am
Bezel cut ugly, can it be fixed?
« on: May 21, 2005, 12:22:56 pm »
Ok, I measured my 25inch monitor and cut the bezel from MDF.
The bezel fits over the tube but I didnt account for the bowl-ness of the tube. It looks a bit ugly now. See the pictures below. Is this repairable? Would woodglue mixed with MDF dust work as a filler? Will the repair be invisible after a paint job?

I haven't much experience in woodworking. I was wondering how do you go about routing around a tube? I can only cut straight with the router... also templating the exactly measurements (or even getting exact angles and measurement of the bowl-ness) is next to impossible. Please, no suggestions on getting a plastic bezel. I cannot get them in my country and importing them costs a fortune.

Tailgunner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2009, 01:21:16 pm
Re: Bezel cut ugly, can it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 12:43:46 pm »
You could enlarge the opening in your MDF, and then make a cardboard bezel that follows the contours of  the tube to fill the gap.  8)

Fat_Trucker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2010, 11:44:22 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 02:55:32 pm »
If you don't intend to remove it then use a proper wood filler to plug the gaps. You can use putty to fill the holes then cover with wood filler and when its dry sand it back to a smooth finish by hand.

Another alternative would be to cut a new bezel so the corners cover the corners of your monitor slightly, then use a dremel tool to route the corners back out to the exact size and shape you need.
I didn't touch it....honest!

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 03:03:59 pm »
From the looks of it, your plywood is roughly level with the highest point on the monitor.

If so, I would get a large piece of paper that is thin enough to see through when backlit, turn the monitor on, mark the paper where the edges of the screen are, and then cut a piece of black posterboard just outside that area.
That would let you just lay the posterboard over the plywood, and cover everything except the usable area of the monitor.
If you use smoked plexi over it, you shouldn't even see the edge of the posterboard.