Software Support > DOS/WinCab

DOSCab/WinCab Skins

(1/2) > >>

Chris:
I just sent this to someone in a PM who was asking about making a skin, but it seems I should post this for public consumption.  This was fired off quickly and obviously needs to be fleshed out and expanded...

At this point, I have put my time into trying to finish the jukebox, so I have not written a skin builder.  Fortunately, building a skin is not that hard.  Things to remember:

- All coordinates and measurements are relative to the background image, not the actual resolution.
- Pixels in the background image are always assumed to be square; they will be corrected for the aspect ratio of the monitor, resolution and orientation at runtime to stay square. 

Basic skins are very easy.  Here, for example, is the classic.skn with the comments stripped out to make it shorter:

--- Code: ---[skin]
background=bgclassc.jpg

[Selection]
SelectionMethod=Alphanumeric
UseZero=False
HighLetter=D
HighNumber=4

[Display1]
# Now Playing display
enabled=True
x=157
y=202
w=282
h=80
lines=4
color=palegreen
bgcolor=black

[Display2]
# Song List display
enabled=True
x=595
y=202
w=282
h=80
lines=4
color=palegreen
bgcolor=black

[Display3]
# Selection display
enabled=True
x=496
y=258
w=42
h=25
color=palegreen
bgcolor=black

[Display4]
# Credit Display
enabled=True
x=496
y=214
w=42
h=25
color=palegreen
bgcolor=black

[TitleStrips]
Background=jb45lb01.jpg
AddQuotes=True
ForceUpperCaseTitles=True
ForceUpperCaseArtists=True
SongsPerStrip=Double
Font=bluehigh.ttf
FontSize=26
FontColor=black
SmallFont=bluecond.ttf
SmallFontSize=26
Width=320
Height=108
StripCount=8
FontSmoothing=true

[StripGrid]
x=162
y=308
rows=4
cols=2
rowspace=2
colspace=60
order=Horizontal

--- End code ---

That's it.  It comes down to:

- Pick the background
- Set the selection method and range of selection keys
- Set the location, size, color, and number of lines of the displays (or disable them)
- Define the appearance of the titlestrips
- Define the size and location of one or more grid(s) of titlestrips

That is all there is to a basic skin.  Where it gets more complicated is when you start adding icons that create or react to jukebox events; these icons are of course critical for touchscreen use.  For this, we shift gears and look at default.skn.  I'll skip all of the stuff covered above and go right to the icons:

--- Code: ---[Icon1]
x=464
y=193
w=93
h=94
OnImage=instron.bmp
OffImage=instroff.bmp
Clickable=False
Action=MSG_CREDITS

[Icon2]
x=624
y=281
w=11
h=11
OnImage=r-ledoff.bmp
OffImage=r-ledon.bmp
Clickable=False
Action=MSG_POPULAR

[Icon3]
x=738
y=281
w=11
h=11
OnImage=r-ledon.bmp
OffImage=r-ledoff.bmp
Clickable=False
Action=MSG_POPULAR

[Icon4]
x=477
y=413
w=33
h=33
FocusColor=yellow
ShadowColor=Black
Clickable=True
Action=BTN_A

[Icon5]
x=514
y=413
w=33
h=33
FocusColor=yellow
ShadowColor=Black
Clickable=True
Action=BTN_1

--- End code ---
(This is just a subset of the 17 icons in default.skn, but the rest are like Icon4 and Icon5.)

Here we see the two different kinds of icons: non-clickable icons, which simply react to events, and clickable icons, which both create and react to events.  Correspondingly, there are two kinds of events an icon can send or receive: BTN_ events, which act as if one of the buttons were pressed when sent, and MSG_ events, which report on the state of the jukebox.  Clickable icons should always send BTN_ events; non-clickable icons can react to either BTN_ or MSG_ events.   The BTN_ events are listed in controls.ini; the MSG_ events are listed in readme.txt.

BTN_ events always un-set themselves after 1/10th of a second, and MSG_ events un-set themselves when the condition is no longer true.  A perfect example is to compare BTN_PAUSE vs. MSG_SONGPAUSED.  When BTN_PAUSE is pressed, either on the keyboard or by clicking a clickable icon assigned to it, the BTN_PAUSE message is processed, which pauses the current song and pushes BTN_PAUSE and MSG_SONGPAUSED onto the message queue, and a -BTN_PAUSE (unset BTN_PAUSE) onto the timer queue.  The user interface sees the BTN_PAUSE and causes whatever icons are assigned to it to display their OnImage, or if no OnImage is assigned it makes the OffImage (or the background if no OffImage is assigned) appear to be "pressed".  The same thing happens with MSG_SONGPAUSED, so if you have an OffImage that looks like an unlit LED and an OnImage that looks like a lit LED, the LED for that icon will appear to "light" in response to MSG_SONGPAUSED.  A tenth of a second later, -BTN_PAUSE is sent to the user interface, reverting any icons assigned to it back to their OffImage (or the background if no OffImage is assigned), but the song is still paused.  When BTN_PAUSE is pressed again, the process repeats, except this time processing the message results in starting the song and sending BTN_PAUSE and -MSG_SONGPAUSED to the interface, and again -BTN_PAUSE to the timer queue.  If the clickable icon instead was set to MSG_SONGPAUSED, nothing would happen, as the jukebox engine doesn't react to MSG_ messages, only BTN_ messages.

Hopefully that makes some sense!

--Chris

gabypotter:
this is a little harder for me ???,
is there a software to make wincab skins?,
like dragging and dropping buttons?

Chris:
Unfortunately, there is not; until I get a "final" version finished and the skin options stop changing, it's not really possible to create a skin editor.

--Chris

MusicGirl24:
I could use a little help on the installation of this jukebox. I am up to the point of copy and paste for my songpath settings in the jukebox.ini file, but every time I try to save the changes, I'm not allowed to  perform the action- being told to save it under a different name- save the file in My Documents. :blah: I have a Gateway computer- Vista Home Premium- and I already made the alterations to other files in this program,  but I don't know if there is a specific action from this point, such as another file alteration- in order for me to save my songpath settings.  ??? I would appreciate any info on this one. Thanks- :)

blah69:

--- Quote from: MusicGirl24 on November 16, 2007, 11:50:38 pm ---I could use a little help on the installation of this jukebox. I am up to the point of copy and paste for my songpath settings in the jukebox.ini file, but every time I try to save the changes, I'm not allowed to  perform the action- being told to save it under a different name- save the file in My Documents. :blah: I have a Gateway computer- Vista Home Premium- and I already made the alterations to other files in this program,  but I don't know if there is a specific action from this point, such as another file alteration- in order for me to save my songpath settings.  ??? I would appreciate any info on this one. Thanks- :)

--- End quote ---
Instead of just closing out the program and having it ask you if you want to save, try clicking save or save as.  I initially got the same thing in Vista.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version