Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: kind of OT: price check on full cabinet  (Read 2120 times)

Lance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2008, 10:20:09 am
  • banned
    • arcade.spamrevenge.com
kind of OT: price check on full cabinet
« on: November 27, 2002, 11:27:37 am »
I'm not sure if this is the right board to be asking this on, but someone locally is selling a Marvel vs Street Fighter cabinet.

It is a full working game, in an older dynamo upright cabinet which shows some wear and it has a 25" screen.  It has 2 8 way sticks and 14 buttons total, coin mechs etc.

I'm thinking about getting this and doing a MAME conversion on it.  What do you guys think would be a good price for it?   I think the guy selling it wants around $500 canadian (around $350 US), is this too much?

thanks for the help,  if this is the wrong place to be asking can someone direct me to the right place :)

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:kind of OT: price check on full cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 11:41:49 am »
good price..you get the monitor and the game..FREAGING cheap god :).

GET IT before the guy starts triping and asks for  $500 US.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 01:37:01 pm »
One of the arcades near me marks their entire inventory for sale from Thanksgiving to Christmas.  Its kinda neat to walk around and see what they think all the newest and oldest cabinets go for. (BTW: this is where I bought my 4-player nba jam).

I found that they mostly judge a game by what boards are in it rather than the condition of the cabinet.  For example, there are a lot of similar 25" 2 player cabinets that go from $299 to $1500.  The $299 ones have Tekken2/3 or MK3 in them, while the ones over $1000 have various Capcom fighters.  I'm assuming they get a lot of offers on the capcom games...I reall don't understand how it could be worth THAT much more.  I've often thought about getting the $299 one, putting in a Dreamcast with about 10 Capcom games and advertising it at the arcade for $2000.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 06:23:31 am »
One of the arcades near me marks their entire inventory for sale from Thanksgiving to Christmas.  Its kinda neat to walk around and see what they think all the newest and oldest cabinets go for. (BTW: this is where I bought my 4-player nba jam).

Can you tell me which arcade?  I live in the bay area (easy bay), but haven't seen advertisements of this sale.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 12:17:08 pm »
Can you tell me which arcade?  I live in the bay area (easy bay), but haven't seen advertisements of this sale.
Its the arcade in the Valco "Fashon" Mall (in Cupertino off 280 at Wolf rd).  Its not advertised outside of the arcade.  I guess its just for locals who have a truck and want to make that "impulse buy".  They do it every year.

BTW: They have a sitdown G-LOC for $95! but its really beat up (and probably a b!tch to move).  Would be cool to hack a tilting platform cab like that  ;D.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2002, 12:23:05 pm by Dave_K. »

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2002, 07:26:53 am »
Its the arcade in the Valco "Fashon" Mall (in Cupertino off 280 at Wolf rd).  Its not advertised outside of the arcade.  I guess its just for locals who have a truck and want to make that "impulse buy".  They do it every year.

BTW: They have a sitdown G-LOC for $95! but its really beat up (and probably a b!tch to move).  Would be cool to hack a tilting platform cab like that  ;D.

Thanks a lot for the info!  It is a bit long for me to go; I live near Berkeley & not quite ready to buy a cab yet.  If I'm down that way I'll take a look, but my 4-door car won't fit a cab, let along a sit-down. ;)  That means a rental & 110+ miles through 101 or 880 traffic. :-\

But I'll remember it next year; I hope I'm ready by then.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 12:32:24 pm »
data point:

I paid us$100 for a working Ring King conversion. 20 year old 19" monitor. Working coin door, but no mechanism.

Your deal sounds "fair" to me.

Bob
South Carolina

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2002, 01:12:17 pm »
Thats a fair price if you want the arcade monitor. If your not going to use the monitor then its not a very good deal.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 10:09:34 am »
btw, Its a good price for the game... but you WILL remove 90% of it.

If you aren't going to use the original monitor, it's not worth it for you (probably).

for 350 bucks you can make your own 100% if you have most of the tools.  Then it will be yours.  But you will have to find a monitor somehow.

but what I would do (if I could do it again).  

1) buy the cab.  make sure the monitor works well.
2) buy a jpac.  This takes care of ALL your connections
3) buy a trident blade video card (or any of the others that work well with an arcade monitor).

done!

plus I would add another interface between the original board and the extra - non jamma connectors... then also do the same connector between your jpac and the buttons 4-6 for SF.  

Why?  Then you can plug in your original game and other jamma games easily.  Why?  They are SO cheap on ebay now, you might want to make it so you can play the originals of a ton of games... They are better that way!  (mame is great, but there is a difference... mainly in the visuals, but it's still there).  Great also for your favorite 3d games that aren't supported anyway now.

good luck