Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trackball questions  (Read 3654 times)

RTSDaddy2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
Trackball questions
« on: May 14, 2005, 02:59:41 pm »
I swear, I read the book, but as I'm getting ready to start building the control panel, I keep seeing things that are leaving me confused.

It talks about tapping into the power source of the computer itself to get the opticals reading in the trackball and not running the trackball to the USB port, or more specifically the possibility of frying the motherboard if you do hook the track up to the USB port. 

What I'm curious about is this.  You run the trackball through the Opti-Pac, which can connect to a USB hub...am I still going to need a power source for the trackball, or will the Opti-Pac provide it without fear of knocking out my motherboard?

Thanks for all the help,  as always!

RTSDaddy2

namedos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2023, 06:18:13 pm
Re: Trackball questions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 12:30:46 am »
First off it depends on what kind of trackball you have (speaking from costly experience).  If you have a new Happ's trackball that already has a USB connection then you don't need an Opti-pac.  You just plug it directly into your USB port and your computer reads it as a mouse.  Real easy and real slick. 

This is the setup I have and it draws it's power from the USB port.

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 08:13:18 am »
Thanks namedos - I knew I'd missed something.   ;D

One final quick question, as I've looked at Happ's page this morning.  Did you - or anyone else - that's using this setup have any problem with Windows XP recognizing all three buttons?  I read where you may get a message saying "insert windiskxx", or something like that, on Happ's page.  Basically you're installing a new driver, which makes sense, but I didn't know if my "preloaded" XP already had that file or not.

RTSDaddy2

namedos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2023, 06:18:13 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 01:23:25 am »
Can't help you much there as I'm running windows ME.  I was concerned about the setup and it turned out to be a non-issue.  With the Happ trackball there is a set of connectors that you hook up to the two mouse buttons.  I then assigned the middle mouse button to the same thing that slikstik used which is the 2 SW 8 key ( I think).  This allows me to use the left and right mouse button for all things you need a mouse for.  This arrangement with no other modifications allows me to play centipede and missle command.  Any other individual games can be modified with the individual game file in mame.

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 07:58:21 pm »
Sounds good - thanks for your help!

RTSDaddy2