Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Basic Jamma wiring question  (Read 2902 times)

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
Basic Jamma wiring question
« on: May 12, 2005, 11:53:51 am »
I just got my first jamma cbinet and it needs a new wiring harness.  It is a fighter with 6 buttons per player.  I want to make sure I get the right harness.  Can you tell me which will have enough connections for all the buttons.

This is preffered because of the quick connects.
http://www.dreamarcades.com/parts2/elec.shtml

But I think I need this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6177617938&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 08:14:53 pm
  • Filling up that basement
Re: Basic Jamma wiring question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 12:33:37 pm »
I'd definitely get the 2nd one. The first one looks like it doesn't have wires for a good number of the JAMMA pins and only has the bare miniumum to get a game to run. I don't like how the wires on it are attached to terminals on top of the harness.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 02:58:45 pm »
If you're running six buttons, you are definitely going to need an additional harness as well (Jamma is 3 or 4*).

RE: Missing wires ... best guess (not having Jamma pinout handy) is it is missing Coin Counters,lockouts, tilt and possibly more.

I find it interesting that  the second harness cites "fully stuffed with wires in all slots" ... IIRC, Jamma has at least 6 pins that are empty (including the key slots). Are there non-JAMMA boards that use a 56-pin edge connector ? I guess that would make sense then.

Cheers.

* 3 is "official" ... some games run button 4 through the edge connector, though.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 03:30:12 pm »
Thanks for the info.  It is very dissapointing though.  I realy wanted to get a multi-jamma board and switch beween my favorite fighters.  There's no point if I have to change an additional harness.  I also think there is a diferent kick harness for the various systems.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 03:40:21 pm »
Thanks for the info.  It is very dissapointing though.  I realy wanted to get a multi-jamma board and switch beween my favorite fighters.  There's no point if I have to change an additional harness.  I also think there is a diferent kick harness for the various systems.

Easy now ... don't write off Multi-Jamma (assuming that we're talking about Clay's board here) just yet ...  extra buttons can be passed through using the non-standard button 4 (if the board supports it) and the 4 spare input connections on the MJ boards (e.g. 2 buttons for each player).

In cases where the built-in inputs on the MJ are not enough, you can wire directly to the aux inputs on the boards. I do this for an analog joystick and optical guns.

For buttons, I would expect that you could also connect each "extra" button to multiple boards (haven't tried this, though... make sure your grounds are all tied together).

Cheers.

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 08:14:53 pm
  • Filling up that basement
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 02:43:29 am »
If you're running six buttons, you are definitely going to need an additional harness as well (Jamma is 3 or 4*).

RE: Missing wires ... best guess (not having Jamma pinout handy) is it is missing Coin Counters,lockouts, tilt and possibly more.

I find it interesting that

Dav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 05:39:35 am
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 10:47:36 am »
Yes, capcom is 56 pins.  Sega 16/24 iirc and bubble booble bootleg are also 56.

DreamArcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2022, 05:36:40 pm
    • Dream Arcades, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 10:43:21 pm »
I just created a chart for the pin-out on the DA Jamma harness:
http://www.dreamarcades.com/jamma.shtml

I don't do a lot of JAMMA work, but I've always have had all the connections I need. The only thing I think you might miss is coin 2. Normally I just wire both coin slots to coin 1.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 10:28:15 am »
Hmmm...... the Dream Arcade Jamma harness is not fully loaded. That's a big thumbs down in my opinion. I always connect coin meters and this harness does not have the stereo speaker connection either. Nor does it have a "-5 volt" connection. I believe that the Golden Tee Golf series uses "push4" as either the volume up or dollar bill input (I don't remember which).

The more I look at it the more I dislike it. :P I'd say go elsewhere and buy a fully stuffed Jamma harness. It's better to have the extra connections and not need them than it is to need them and not have them. Buy that second harness you spotted on ebay. It's a much better one.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 10:40:08 am by Ken Layton »