Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Swappable control panel complete  (Read 3867 times)

eightbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Swappable control panel complete
« on: November 28, 2002, 10:58:02 am »
I built my first swappable control panel. The Ipac is mounted in the cab so each control panel plugs into it instead of needing an ipac for each control panel.

I also mounted player 1 and 2 coin buttons under the front edge of the cab on each side. My coin slots work but aren't very popular after people get over the initial wow factor of it. This way I can wow them with the coin slots then show an easy way to play.

I went to the local fabric place and bought vinyl which I glued down. This didn't turn out perfect but I think it'll be better on the next one. I also didn't use a mounting plate for the track ball which shows through the vinyl more then I'd like it to.

My next panel will be ikari warrior joysticks of which I finally have all the pieces needed to complete.

My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:Swappable control panel complete
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 11:13:27 am »
NICE !...
I see that wireless mouse thing.THAT really works even if its inside right?
I am getting tired of the keyboard and mouse laying around my cabinet already so i gottta get goin with wireless.

anyway...good job ;).

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 07:22:22 pm »
Yup thats radio frequency wireless so it works from inside the cab. I had a infrared one before but it required line of site to the sensor which was kind of a pain.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 09:34:03 am »
Nice CP !!!....   ;D   ;D   ;D

I particularly like the way you mount the trackball...

I would also like to mount my Kidsball more or less the same way.....

needs to practice my wood skill for making the right hole....

nice job !!!...
 ;)
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 10:02:53 am »
I have a complete wood shop so that made making the hole easy. Trace the base, cut with a scroll saw, touch it up with a oscilating spindle sander and wah-lah, a nice snug hole.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
Mistakes made in the making of this panel
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 02:12:36 pm »
Things I would change if (when) I did it again-

I didn't center the trackball. I cheated it toward the player one joystick so their would be more room to spin it without hitting the player 2 joystick. There would have been more than enough room if I had centered it. Right now the edge of my palm hits it when I'm using player one buttons. Not bad but it would have been nicer to fully rest my palm there.

I forgot to drill the holes for the trackball before applying the vinyl. The drill bit messed the vinyl up a little and the edges around those buttons aren't as nice as I'd like.

I didn't use a mounting plate for the trackball so you can see and feel the edges of the trackball housing through the vinyl. Next time I'll fill and sand so that its smooth or use a thicker/stiffer overlay. Otherwise that method of mounting is great.

::) Oh well, build and learn.... I'm working on my secound and third swappable panels. The secound is ikari warrior rotating joysticks, I finally have all the components needed. The third will be mostly empty except for a 4 way joystick and player 1/2 buttons, it will protrude out the front for a lip to mount my PC steering wheel on it. I'm considering hacking my flightstick to mount in this panel but for now just having a big flat area to place it will be good.

I also have 2 cabs in my garage with a third on the way... I"M OUTTA CONTROL!!!!!!!!!  8)