Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FA: MAME Control panel  (Read 3137 times)

Animeka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2015, 11:21:44 am
    • Subnet192
FA: MAME Control panel
« on: November 27, 2002, 10:59:44 am »
I put up my CP for sale, since I'm almost done with my cabinet, I wont be needing it anymore... It was a labour of love and I want to see it go to a good house ;)

It's up on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3945&item=741293684&rd=1

Thanks!

Marc

Dink

Re:FA: MAME Control panel
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 11:06:47 am »
Its beautiful.  what does "partially completed" spinner mean?

Animeka

• Offline Offline
    • Subnet192
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 04:26:52 pm »
Its beautiful.  what does "partially completed" spinner mean?

No electronics... The knob, bearing mechanism from a hard disk are there, so all that's needed is an encoder wheel and the electronics.

Marc

Animeka

• Offline Offline
    • Subnet192
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 04:36:20 pm »
It didnt sell... Boooohooo.. I had a reserve of 200$ (the blasted thing cost me close to 300$)...

Should I relist it? :)

Marc

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 04:49:09 pm »
you really cant sell it to fools who doesnt really know what they are getting and how much work you gotta put on these things..the highest i solde was $210..the one in my site right now..

IF i were you,i would let it go to the guy who bid for $167..whatever..i sold my another panel that cost over $200 to built but got rid of it for $150..you always lose when selling :(.

Also i think you could have sold it for $200 if the interface was PSX.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2002, 04:53:57 pm by SNAAAKE »

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2002, 10:09:16 am »
I don't want to be a thread crapper but I just can't see how you could have spent $300 on building that unless you paid someone else to do the work for you. The problem with getting that much for it is that there are new commercially available products with warrantys and guaranteed compatability for around $150. I'm actually surprised you got a  bid of $167. Why would you expect someone to pay new price for it if its used? When I look at your ebay listing I don't see anything that would convince me that what you were selling was special or better than say an x-arcade.

When I tell people about mame, what it is and what it can do I typically get 2 responces from people interested in it.

#1 "wow I want to do that and have a arcade at home".
#2 "I've never heard of that before we could build these things and make money".

I personally don't think there is much profit in it unless you find a niche, like the ipac or oscars spinners. Then again there are people selling empty cabs for $3K so what do I know....  ???

Another thing you should have either completed the spinner or removed it and plugged the hole. People don't like to buy things that aren't completed.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 11:43:42 am by eightbit »
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2002, 11:00:24 am »
ECAXTLY :D

Like I said...the layout was very odd and you were lucky that it went upto $67.

Animeka

• Offline Offline
    • Subnet192
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2002, 03:37:57 pm »
Layout odd? Plays very well without cramping your wrists... "ergonomic"...

As for how did I end up spending so much? Add up all the parts and you'll see...

Laminate boards, MDF, piano hinge, joysticks, buttons, I-Pac, Vinyl Print, PVC board, screws, drill bits, plexiglass, I didn't have much tools, so I ended up having everything cut at the store (1-2$/piece - add that to the total). Etc... By the time this was done, I estimate around 275$ the cost I paid...

Marc

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2002, 04:46:33 pm »
well oaky then..have to nice day :P ;)

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2002, 06:30:09 pm »
I really like it, I think it looks nice. I'm not trying to pick on you. But just because it cost $300 doesn't mean its worth $300 especially since its used and incomplete.

My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Animeka

• Offline Offline
    • Subnet192
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2002, 11:33:56 am »
I really like it, I think it looks nice. I'm not trying to pick on you. But just because it cost $300 doesn't mean its worth $300 especially since its used and incomplete.

So you would build something and sell for less than the parts? I understand the "used" part, that's why my reserve was set at 200$ on e-bay... I didn't expect to get back 100% of what it cost me. As for the incomplete, I could remove the spinner and put a button there but what good would that do? It's 100% functionnal as a fighting game joystick, and has the possiblity of a spinner if you want to complete it ;) Or remove what I put, buy an oscar and there you go! :)

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2002, 11:50:57 pm »
I think your stick looks great. You obviously spent some time on it. I just don't think your going to get $200 for it. What I was trying to offer was some advice. If your going to put it on ebay you need to sell it better. Explain better what it is and why its better than say an x-arcade stick. With the ad you had before I don't think anybody that wasn't already into Mame and building your own controls would buy it. People like that aren't going to pay that much. I don't doubt you have $275 into it. I priced an order at Happs today for another control panel and with an Ipac its going to be easily over $100. I think thats part of the reason why the x-arcade stick seems to be popular.

AGarv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2016, 07:29:18 pm
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 04:07:43 pm »
The problem with selling custom joysticks is...

it's customized for the person who originally built it.  I might be willing to pay $50 to get a CP overlay with the cast of marvel vs capcom on it, but the next guy may just want a plain surface.

Good luck selling your panel, I'm in the process of "finishing" my original control panel for sale.  The panel is a monster; has 4 happ supers, two custom trigger sticks, custom spinner, 4-way wico, and a 3-inch trackball.  The controls are 3 hacked psx dual shock pads with a psx->pc 4 pad adapter. I've built removable legs onto the thing to allow it to sit like a coffee table in front of the couch.

To put things in perspective, I'm going to be glad to get $300 out of it.  Even though you'd probably pay SlikStik ~$1000 to make it...