Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Okay. Need opinions on PayPal situation.  (Read 876 times)

Witchboard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm
    • Oklahoma Coin-Operated Collectors
Okay. Need opinions on PayPal situation.
« on: April 28, 2005, 08:04:44 pm »
I'm needing opinions on how I should handle this situation.

I bought two Pole Position board sets off RGVAM.  They were advertised as "complete" with RAM 8 errors.  He also supplied a link with photos of the boards displaying the RAM 8 errors on an arcade monitor.  Well, when I received the package I have two CPUs and two video boards and no interconnect PCBs to hook them together.  I email the guy asking where they were and he said he could have sworn they were in there before he sealed the box.  He said they should have been in bubble wrap.  First off, nothing in the box was in bubble wrap.  The boards were wrapped in 3 layers of newspaper each and shoved in a box with no extra padding.  I told him I triple checked the box and they were not present.  He said he would look around his shop and see if he could find them.  After a couple of days I emailed him again asking if he had any luck finding them and he said they weren't there and he was trying to find an extra one for me.  I replied stating I needed two since I bought two board sets.  I've emailed him several times since with no replies after his last one on 3/31/05.

Today I filed a claim with PayPal and it was immediately closed stating it didn't meet their specifications.  Here's where I need opinions.  My credit card bill is in with the PayPal charge on it.  I'm thinking about disputing the charge with my credit card company.  I don't really want to do that since I'm not sure what can of worms it would open and he wouldn't get any of his money, or at least I wouldn't have to pay any.  I received a product so I think it's morally wrong to do so, but he won't communicate with me anymore to try and resolve this.  Either I would like my boards, or I would like him to refund some money to cover expenses of buying replacements... if I can find them.

How would you go about this?

JackTucky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
Re: Okay. Need opinions on PayPal situation.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:29:27 pm »
you didn't get what you paid for.  dispute it.  tell the guy he has 10 business days to give you a refund or you will dispute, and paypal is going to take his money back.  and probably close his account too.

Art
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:19:25 pm »
Paypal pretty much said they couldn't do anything... at least the automated thing did.  I put a message on the newsgroups in the slight chance that he hasn't been getting my emails.  If he doesn't reply to those by the end of this weekend, I guess I'll contest the charges with my credit card company.  It's not like I haven't bent over backwards to get in touch with him and I think I've been patient enough.

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 10:53:41 pm »
Just make sure you tell the CC company you got part (but not all) of what was supposed to be shipped.  They'll handle it slightly differently.

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 11:17:39 am »
Just make sure you tell the CC company you got part (but not all) of what was supposed to be shipped.  They'll handle it slightly differently.

I'm pretty sure that's the approach I'd take.

I saw your message on Oklahoma Arcade Collectors this morning. Sorry to hear you got burned.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 11:34:20 am »
I'll call my CC company after this weekend.  I'm going to give him a little more time.  All I was looking for was an answer if he was going to find me some or not and never got a reply.  So, I've actively started looking for the replacement parts.  Thing is, the guy seemed real sincere and helpful at first.  I just hope something didn't happen to him.  It's not like you can reply to emails when you're in the hospital or something.  That's why I've given him the benefit of the doubt this whole time, but I have to get this resolved.

Vicious

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 01:26:51 pm »
The same thing happened to me last October.  I had bought my father a Little Giant Ladder and they said there was a shortage.  I was patient and and let him know he wouldn't get it until around mid-January.  Well, long story short January passed by after some terse e-mails with the seller I tried to do a PayPal dispute which they did the same thing they did to you.  I called my CC company and started a dispute with them.  I finally received the ladder around the end of February, which was good because about a couple of weeks after that my CC company sent a letter saying since it was more than 60 days ago they weren't going to do anything.

Your best bet just to cover your own ass would be to call them now.  If you should get it then you can let your credit card company know and have them drop the claim.  If you wait too long you're out everything and he may know this (don't let sincerity get the best of you).

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 12:48:35 am »
I'll take care of it tomorrow afternoon.  Thanks for everyone's input on this situation.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 06:03:42 pm »
I called my credit card company today and told them the story.  Apparently I have the option to give them a less amount of money instead of cut them off completely.  I told them that I would have to research how much it would cost to replace the missing parts and call them back.  I have a guy who offered to sell me one on the newsgroup so I emailed him to see how much he's charging and I'll double the price and tell my credit card company to reduce the charge by that much.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 07:47:27 pm »
Okay.  I disputed $30 of the charge to my credit card.  I figured that would be fair to replace the missing parts based on what I've found so far.  Now to find the missing parts.  :-\

TheTick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2009, 12:24:27 pm
  • I.P. Daley
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 04:23:15 pm »
I hope your checking account is not linked in PayPal. Two to three months from now when they realize you did a partial charge back, they will first try to retrieve the money from your paypal account. If they are unsuccessfull, they will retrieve it from the buyer and charge him a penalty fee. No idea what they'll do to your paypal account afterwards... probably make it restricted = you can accept payments but can't retrieve the funds.
Mucal invader, is there no end to your oozing?!

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 05:34:58 pm »
I don't have PayPal linked to any bank accounts, just my credit card.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 01:11:17 am »
I did a chargeback through my credit card on a Paypal transaction once.  The ebay goods never arrived, and Paypal wants DAYS to process a claim, after which you know they'll get back $0.00 for you.  Anyway, I got my money back, and Paypal sent me a nasty note that said they cancel accounts from people that do that on a regualr basis.  That's all- they didn't try to re-charge my credit card, or anything else. 

Your results may vary.

Oh, here's the note they sent me:

Dear ----------------,

We have received notice that you initiated a chargeback through your
credit
card company.

Details of the transaction and this case are as follows:

Seller's Name: -----------------
Seller's Email: ---------------@-----------.com
Transaction Date: Apr. 22, 2004
Transaction Amount: -$137.50 USD
Case #: -----------------

You may not be aware that PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy allows you to
resolve disputes through PayPal, prior to contacting your credit card
company. To learn more about the Buyer Complaint Policy, just go to
Security Center link from the footer of any PayPal page.

You do not need to fill out the Buyer Complaint form for this case
because
we are already working with your credit card company to resolve this
issue.
However, this service is available to you for any future disputes you
may
have with a seller.

PayPal encourages all buyer purchase disputes to be filed and resolved
through the PayPal Buyer Complaint process, and reserves the right to
terminate or restrict account privileges of buyers who file chargeback
complaints without attempting to resolve the complaints through PayPal. 

Sincerely,

PayPal Chargeback Division

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 08:22:55 am »
I don't think they have much of a leg to stand on since it seems they were complaining you didn't go through them first.  I already filed a claim with PayPal which was rejected, but noted on the sellers account.  I'll just have to keep an eye on my statements to make sure they don't attempt to slide another charge past me.  Thanks for letting me know what to expect.  :police:

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 11:19:30 am »
Figured I would post up my PayPal email I got in response to the credit card chargeback.