Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Logitech WingMan Formula Force Steering Wheel  (Read 4422 times)

Dartful Dodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
Logitech WingMan Formula Force Steering Wheel
« on: November 25, 2002, 12:55:29 pm »
Not sure where this one goes so I'm posting here.  I have a Logitech WingMan Formula Force Steering Wheel, and I want to use it to play racing mame games.  The problem is that I can't configure the wheel to the arrow keys.  When I try to play (Spy Hunter), as soon as I turn, the car goes left firing it's guns until it runs off the road.
Does anyone know were I can download the drivers or Profiles I need?

Thanks

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Re:Logitech WingMan Formula Force Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 02:18:13 pm »
I've had the same issue with spy hunter trying to play it with a keyboard or with the arcade control panel. I've tried remapping the keys but I haven't figured it out yet.  After remapping I can't get the car to move, it just sits there. I might be stuck in high gear.

This was one of my all time favorite games and I'd love to play it. I bet I pumped enough quarters into this game to have bought my own brand new.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 09:24:39 pm »
Well, one thing is the pedal and the guns are mapped to the same button.  Another is the analog paddle key/joy speed is very slow for keyboards or digital inputs.

But I don't have your problem of running off the screen with a wingman formula gp (no-forcefeedback).  I am using the default wingman profile.  Make sure your wingman is in analog joystick mode, and the paddle is mapped the the joystick X-axis and mame's pedal is mapped to the wingman pedal (should work with either composite or split pedals).

I did get that "doesn't move" problem once in a while when testing remapping the pedal input settings, but most of the time I didn't get that problem.  I'll test it some more tonight, and let you know the results.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 12:07:54 pm »
Thanks, eightbit and u_rebelscum.  I downloaded the profile for Grand Theft Auto off the Wingman Team web site (because I knew it used the keys instead of a steering wheel) and eightbit was right, spy hunter wasn't the best game to be testing with, I don't know if it's a mapping problem, or because my computer is too slow (400 MHz), but the car was getting the signals from the wheel, it just wasn't getting them fast enough. So I'm now testing with Stroker (another childhood favorite)
u_rebelscum, can most of the mame driving games use analog?  I didn't even think to try that, I'll get some info on the how to's, off the MAME page, and try it tonight.

Thanks again

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2002, 08:35:47 pm »
Thanks, eightbit and u_rebelscum.  I downloaded the profile for Grand Theft Auto off the Wingman Team web site (because I knew it used the keys instead of a steering wheel) and eightbit was right, spy hunter wasn't the best game to be testing with, I don't know if it's a mapping problem, or because my computer is too slow (400 MHz), but the car was getting the signals from the wheel, it just wasn't getting them fast enough. So I'm now testing with Stroker (another childhood favorite)
u_rebelscum, can most of the mame driving games use analog?  I didn't even think to try that, I'll get some info on the how to's, off the MAME page, and try it tonight.

Games in mame with input types "AD stick", "Paddle", and "Pedal" are best played with analog inputs.  Spy Hunter has both Paddle and Pedal inputs, so don't use any profile that sets the Wingman to keys.  Most driving games use "AD stick", "paddle", or "dial"; the first two work great with an analog steering wheel like yours, the last needs a spinner or trackball.

Like I said, it's best if your steering wheel is "profiled" to "steering wheel", the accelerator to accelerator, and the brake to brake.  Try using the "Report combined pedals", and then map mame pedal input to the accelerator ("Y axis -").

(eightbit, you are probably right about being in high)
Note that spy hunters "shift" is mapped to the ENTER key, and toggles between low and high.  So when you remap with the ENTER key, you probably shift into high.  So I suggest remapping the shift input also.
Here is my default profile and mame input setting for spyhunter.  Notice that what the profile calls left paddle, mame calls button 0, and right paddle = button 1.
Robin
Knowledge is Power