Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dumb Question  (Read 1029 times)

Ravis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2005, 04:48:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Dumb Question
« on: April 25, 2005, 02:00:05 pm »
I'm pretty new to this entire concept but have gotten all kinds of great ideas from the project announcement board (there's some really impressive cabinets in there). What I was wondering, is whether it's possible to purchase an old cab, disconnect the board inside, and use the existing cabinet / monitor with a console like say an X-Box. I don't have a good understanding of how the video signals work on the original monitors so i'm not sure if it's possible, or if it's just not a regular practice because of poor video quality? does the composite output from the xbox need to be converted to something else to connect to the existing monitor?

I doubt you guys would be a fan of this method...it's pretty much the pansy way out, toss a debugger box in filled with mame roms... a couple of x-arcade controllers mounted into the existing frame and it's done, i'm just not sure if...

1> I can get the vid out from an x-box to connect to an old cabinet monitor
2> It's worth taking the quality loss

Hoagie_one

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 12:36:28 pm
  • Um....whats a cabinet
Re: Dumb Question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 02:06:33 pm »
nothin pansy about it.  A few people have done just that.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:28:24 pm »
While I am not one of those people who have done it, perhaps this may help:

http://www.ultimarc.com/xba.html

Cheers
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Ravis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2005, 04:48:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 04:48:43 pm »
Thanks for the link Jeffo, that's extremely helpful, looking at the price of those x-arcade controllers is insane, that should save a good deal of money and look more authentic.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 04:52:54 pm »
Look through the Consoles forum, and the Project Announcements forum. There HAVE been console based cabs.

To help you on your way... To get a console video to play on an arcade monitor, you need an output cable such as what they call a "SCART" cable. Then you hack that and connect the wires to the monitor (R, G, B, Sync, Grnd) ...
NO MORE!!