Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jukebox out of a kiosk  (Read 5283 times)

eightbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Jukebox out of a kiosk
« on: November 23, 2002, 12:19:34 am »
Inspired by Cyberpunks jukebox software,http://www.cybertechdesign.net I built a touch screen jukebox out of a gift registry kiosk.

I started with this mammoth ugly thing-

I cut it down to this-

Eventually I want to add a coin door but for now its done.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Mameham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2005, 01:29:36 pm
  • The Original Home Arcade Machine
    • Mameham
Re:Jukebox out of a kiosk
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 12:02:27 pm »
 My god does that thing need a coat of paint! :)

Cool though, nice work. I love getting free stuff from work for the hobbies. :)

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 02:01:20 pm »
What do you mean "Needs a coat of paint"? I painted the front that color on purpose. It compliments the color in the melamine. I think it looks good.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2007, 09:29:50 am
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 09:02:28 am »
Awesome job...how's the touch screen working with the software?  I want to add a coin slot to mine eventually, but I promised my wife that after I finished all my projects (jukeboxes and arcade cabinets) that I'd redo our bathroom...so I'll be busy for awhile.

I redesigned my website, for those who haven't seen it and may be interested:

http://www.mameroom.com

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 09:08:23 am »
The touchscreen is perfect for this. The buttons are a little small on screen but not bad for my fat fingers to press.

I'm on the lookout for one of those macro programs where you can make a spot, like a corner, on the screen a hotspot for it to bring up a menu of common actions. Like volume controls and PC shutdown. Other than that its great the way its running.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 09:26:37 am »
Cool.  Did you know that the Virtual Jukebox software has an exit mode and a PC Shut Down Feature.  When either one of these features is turned on...simply press the LEFT and RIGHT (or remapped) keys at the same time.  The program will either exit to windows or shut down your PC depending on the selected mode.

You have inspired me to create a new feature in the program.  Although you are currently the only one using a touch screen to my knowledge, this feature will expand the selection button section to include a button for common features, such as skip, clear, pause, etc...

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 10:17:02 am »
I can't press both arrow keys at the same time. The touchscreen driver won't register 2 touches at the same time.

Having those extra features from the touch screen would be nice. I've been using it like a real jukebox, once you make your song selection thats what you listen to. I don't get the keyboard out unless I have to, even though its easy to do.

I know I can change and resize the fonts but can I change the size of the buttons? I would make them a little bigger if I could.

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 12:38:47 pm »
Hide one or more buttons on the back. Connect them with a USB keyboard hack if you have USB. An IPAC or ButtonBox would work too. A game pad hack would also work if the software were modified.
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

Mameham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2005, 01:29:36 pm
  • The Original Home Arcade Machine
    • Mameham
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 06:31:48 pm »
On purpose? :) heh. I guess that's why I'm not an interior designer. :) I would have thought it to look beter all one color... :)

Maybe it looks better in person. :)

Whatta I know...

:)

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2002, 10:07:22 pm »
I've thought about different options but for right now I like it without the buttons. The only thing I have to do is use the keyboard to shut it down or update it since its XP I can do it remotely.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2002, 07:52:26 am »
Don't worry, I plan on encorporating many new feature specifically for touch screens.  Mabye one day, I'll built one for myself....gotta keep my mind on remodeling my bathroom right now or my wife will KILL me...I'm sure you guys know how it is.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2002, 01:19:30 pm »
I added some new features to the program that touch-screen users may like.  I added more buttons ("Advanced Selection Buttons") for skip, clear, random, repeat, pause, and library selection.  I also added features that will let you exit the program or shut down the computer.  Check out:

http://www.cybertechdesign.net/software/Jukebox/vj_updates.htm

Still working on other suggestions sent in....