Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 25" vs 27" TV & TV Optimization  (Read 1070 times)

Willypill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2005, 11:31:14 pm
  • I'm a llama!
25" vs 27" TV & TV Optimization
« on: July 28, 2005, 10:19:34 pm »
Hello.  There are actually two parts to this thread.  First off, I would like to hear you guy's opinions on 25" vs 27" TV.  I'm getting either one or the other to put in my cab, but Im not sure if 27" would be too big.  I know there is only a two inch difference, but when you're standing close to it playing a game, that is a big difference.

Also, I hooked up my computer to a TV just to test it out.  I used s-video.  I'm using a GeForce 2 Ultra in my PC.  When I hooked it up, it worked, but it didn't fit the TV perfectly.  There is black on both sides and a bit on top and bottom.  I guess the resolution isn't correct or something.  I tried messing with that, but couldn't get it to look any better.  What's the best way to get the picture to fit perfectly on the screen?

Thanks for the help.

Willypill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2005, 11:31:14 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re: 25" vs 27" TV & TV Optimization
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 02:46:40 pm »
That's strange.  I figured for sure there would be someone here who could help me out...

Navmaxlp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2014, 02:40:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 06:03:54 pm »
I use a 27" TV for my monitor and have never had a problem with things being too big. As long as it will fit in the cab, I don't see why you wouldn't go with the bigger TV if that's what you want. Now I'm using an old TV I had laying around so it didn't cost me anything. The only reason I would have opted for a 25" would be the price difference.

toolaa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:03:09 pm
  • Work In Progress...
    • Moon Patrol Project
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 11:59:58 am »
I went with a 25" Sony and use the Component input.  The resolution is 640x432 at 30hz.  It looks great for classic games but it's almost impossible to use windows to perform even simple file copy and system maintenance tasks.

The 25" is fine for vertical games as well.  I find that in my cabinet, 27" would have too large and hard on the eyes at less than 20" from the viewer. 
Super Sprint - In Progress ($150)
Moon Patrol MAME - Completed ($670)
Tic-Tac-Strike Puck Bowler - Restored ($1200)

First Time Visitors Say "Holy Cow!"

. . . . . .Priceless