Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Yo BYOAC UKers, gimme' some travel tips!  (Read 1944 times)

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
Yo BYOAC UKers, gimme' some travel tips!
« on: April 09, 2005, 12:13:10 am »
It looks like I might spend a week or so in Great Britain next month.   I've been to England/Ireland/Scotland/Wales a few times when I was younger, but the visits were much longer and the most recent was ~15 years ago.

So, I'm looking for some tips.  Where should I go?  What should I do?  Originally my wife and I talked of spending most of the trip in London, but the more I think about it, the more I know that's not what I want to do.  Getting out to the countryside is a definite must.

So, what are two or three things that nobody should miss if they visit your side of the pond?   I'd like to hit Glastonbury and I've pondered Portmerion (because I'm a "Prisoner" fan) although it may be too far out of the way.  As it stands we're not renting a car, so travel would be by train or coach.

I have some more specific questions, but first I'd just like to hear what you all think shouldn't be missed.
Thanks
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

tommy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Yo BYOAC UKers, gimme' some travel tips!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 01:13:50 am »
I would love to visit london one day, all i can tell you is if you like hot weather florida is the place to be.

Clubs, Disney, beaches, everglades/airboat, great fishing, the florida keys is a great place to snorkel, gun ranges, parks, marlins baseball, dolphins football,
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 01:15:53 am by tommy »

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 01:21:42 am »
I would love to visit london one day, all i can tell you is if you like hot weather florida is the place to be.

Clubs, Disney, beaches, everglades/airboat, great fishing, the florida keys is a great place to snorkel, gun ranges, parks, marlins baseball, dolphins football,
-- Chad Tower

tommy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 02:30:27 am »
Ill lend you my house in florida for some london air fair.  :P

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 12:15:57 am »
^Bump^
-- Chad Tower

rchadd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2013, 06:14:06 am
  • Made in Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 09:05:34 am »
apart from london where there is loads of tourist attractions....

Oxford or Cambridge (oldest university towns) are classic places to visit for tourists, also maybe york and yorkshire dales. there are many other citys in north of UK - Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds - never been there so can't comment on whether worth a visit.

if you're into the outdoors - the lake district/cumbria

there are plenty of stately homes/castles if you like "history" and Windsor castle is open to the public (just outside london).

checkout http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/placestovisit/

visit StoneHenge and salisbury is close by.

Canterbury Cathedral

i particularly enjoyed Warwick Castle - its restored castle with historic recreations and knights jousting tournament etc (ok if weather is good)

visit Nelson's ship the "Victory" and Henry 8th's "Mary Rose" at Portsmouth .

you could visit shakespeare's birthplace Stratford-on-Avon) and catch a play.

devon/cornwall has plenty of quaint places to visit (eg. Clovelly, St Ives, Lands End) primary attraction in cornwall is probably "the eden project" http://www.edenproject.com/ or visit the "mayflower steps" in plymouth where the first settlers left to go to the US.

if you're into rollercoaster ride attraction parks "chessington world of adventure" (near london) or "alton towers" (staffordshire) are the best
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 03:30:22 pm by rchadd »