Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any woodworking advice for cutting cocktail top?  (Read 4658 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Any woodworking advice for cutting cocktail top?
« on: April 06, 2005, 10:51:44 am »
Saturday I am planning on cutting out the top for my cocktail.  I think this is going to be tricky because there are so many curves and the final piece has to be an inch thick.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

So far I have been making every cut with a jigsaw and then finishing with a pattern bit in my router.  It's been pretty smooth sailing though because all the cuts have been straight.  I think the top can be cut into 4 identical quarters so I was thinking about creating a template out of 1/4" wood and repeating it 4 times to get the shape of the top to be symmetrical but I'm open to any and all other ideas...  THANKS!

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:11:47 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
Re: Any woodworking advice for cutting cocktail top?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 10:58:37 am »
that is basically how I do it.  I use 1/4" hardboard though because it is easy to make the patterns with.  I cut it close to the line with a straight bit then sand down to the line.  I will then use that template to make a pattern out of 1/2" plywood to do the actual cutting on the 1" top so the template does not get screwed up (the pattern cutting bits bearing can tend to dig into the pattern when going through 1" plywood)
Save the template and pattern for the next one!

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 11:10:29 am »
Your description is exactly how I would do it.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
I'll give it a shot - whammoed I like your idea about using 1/4" wood as the template to cut the 1" piece.  Actually, I think I am going to end up gluing a 3/4" piece and a 1/4" piece together to get the desired thickness...

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the "pattern" piece not to move short of screwing it to the piece you are cutting.  I've tried clamps but it always seems to move a hair when I'm cutting...

Shape D.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2012, 06:17:57 pm
  • >Look at me, I'm a Newbie<
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 12:22:27 pm »
I'll give it a shot - whammoed I like your idea about using 1/4" wood as the template to cut the 1" piece.  Actually, I think I am going to end up gluing a 3/4" piece and a 1/4" piece together to get the desired thickness...

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the "pattern" piece not to move short of screwing it to the piece you are cutting.  I've tried clamps but it always seems to move a hair when I'm cutting...
you have to clamp them on there hard, and multiple times.

although I'm guessing you will be cutting out the middle for a monitor so you could screw it into there.
Hey Baby, Have you ever met a Newbie with 38 pages of previous posts before? Do you Want to?

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:11:47 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 12:24:01 pm »
I'll give it a shot - whammoed I like your idea about using 1/4" wood as the template to cut the 1" piece.

Shape D.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2012, 06:17:57 pm
  • >Look at me, I'm a Newbie<
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 12:37:41 pm »
and don't clamp directly to your project wood. use a spacer to avoid denting your wood.
Hey Baby, Have you ever met a Newbie with 38 pages of previous posts before? Do you Want to?

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2010, 05:53:51 pm
    • CPViewer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 12:49:30 pm »
CNC Milling Machine!

Hooah,
John