Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Changing nintendo v.s back to donky kong  (Read 2223 times)

mammoth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2006, 12:36:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Changing nintendo v.s back to donky kong
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:27:55 pm »
can any one tell what this might take - i have the original board,marque, and it's the original Nintendo cabnet.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Changing nintendo v.s back to donky kong
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:46:29 am »
You need the original wiring harness and the original vertical monitor mounting brackets & cross bar brace.

mammoth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 01:42:35 pm »
the mounting brackets i can make no problem. as for the wiring if i can't find an original at a decent price should i buy a jamma converter and wire it that way - is this going to be worth it after i'm done?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 01:45:25 pm by mammoth »

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 09:41:26 pm »
Define "worth it".

NO MORE!!

mammoth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 09:56:17 pm »
mainly value - isn't a original dk worth twice a v.s. with super mario in it - cab. is in good shape.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 10:08:29 pm »
The gap in value between those is gradually shifting everyday. Vs. Super Mario has been headed upwards, while Donkey Kong (long overpriced) has been headed downwards.

Figure the Vs. Super Mario to be worth $175 to $300 (depending on condition), and figure the Donkey Kong to be worth $500 (assuming NEW sideart, and used marquee, panel/bezel). Make it $600 if ALL the artwork is repro. Add another $150 to either price if Double Donkey Kong kit is installed.

If the SMB is already really nice, and you are doing it for resale then it probably isn't going to be a profitable endeavour. The board will cost you $100, you'll spend a minimum of $50 more on wiring, no matter which way you go. $20 marquee, $25 bezel, $40 control panel and $30 for sideart means you are looking at a conversion price of around $275+ shipping on parts, maybe $310 total.

Oops, never mind, I just saw you already had board and marquee, that cuts the cost enough where it actually makes sense. You also might just be able to wire yourself a DK to Vs. adaptor and skip the rewiring part.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

mammoth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 02:29:12 pm »
any ideas on how that might be done - I'm pretty good with wiring but i thought there were some weird differences in the wiring.  as you might guess it's been a long time since i did that conversion