Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What programs are safe to shut off?  (Read 3488 times)

RTSDaddy2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
What programs are safe to shut off?
« on: April 02, 2005, 08:58:43 pm »
In the setting up the computer section, there is talk about turning off all the programs that you really don't need running that just eat up processor time, etc.   There is no list of what to turn off, just a line about switching it off and if it causes problems, turn it back on again (sorry I don't have the book in front of me right now).

What I am curious about is does anyone have a list of those "hidden" programs that I can safely turn off on my computer? I've found them all in task manager, etc., but I haven't the foggiest idea what will do no harm and what might kill the computer all together.

Thanks ahead of time!  :D

RTSDaddy2

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
Re: What programs are safe to shut off?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 12:38:22 am »
If you're using Windows XP, check here, and do bunches of reading to help cut down on "crap, that didn't work at ALL" events.

http://www.blackviper.com/
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 06:50:44 am »
Thanks for the information Drew! I found the link to be very helpful!  I'm "pretty good" with computers but not enough to know what's safe to turn off and what's not, so again it's most appreciated!  :)

RTSDaddy2

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 12:08:45 pm »
um, blackviper seems to be gone...or under construction for a while, any more places to do research for xp?