Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vintage 1983 video game ad for my 2005 project ;)  (Read 7772 times)

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:47:08 pm
Vintage 1983 video game ad for my 2005 project ;)
« on: March 23, 2005, 08:44:52 pm »
I spent some time at work yesterday looking up old videogame ads online and was hit with a sense of nostalgia for the excitement and anticipation I used to feel waiting for a glimpse of the next cool game or expansion module prototype. It seems that today there is so much activity in the game industry that the sense of awe and anticipation just isn't the same. Or maybe I just grew up.

Either way, my cabinet project has always been about recapturing the sense of excitement and wonder I felt as a kid. Usually that meant reading (the now vintage) copies of Electronic Games which were generally rolled in the back pocket of my cords or sandwiched somewhere in my Trapper Keeper.

In the spirit of those early ads and teasers I decided to mock-up an 80's homage ad for my project during down time at work today, complete with the kind of period appropriate selling points common in the ads I was going through yesterday.

Since I'll be collecting everything involved in the project into a coffee table art book when done, (hehe yes, I'm obsessed) this'll be a fun thing to include. I'm going to do a two page spread ad as well. I've decided to keep my cab thread construction related so this feels more at home here in the artwork forum.

Click on the links below the images to see at full (readable) size.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 11:34:05 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
Re: Vintage 1983 video game ad for my 2005 project ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 04:15:08 am »
Woo Woo! A coffeetable book! And people here at my work think that I take my hobby too seriously... I'd love to see that one!

About the advertisement: it really captures the spirit of the ol d 80s 'teaser' flyers. Hmm, the fond memories. I think the reason today there is less anticipation is over-information.  There is very little left to speculate about upcoming titles.
Back Then[tm] there where some flyers and a few mags, one friend read one bit, another friend saw a picture somewhere and in our minds those little bits of information melted into a big speculation of how awesome it was going to be! Today you can download tons of screenshots, in-game movies etc. to find out all the details of a game (spoilers included). When playing a game most of the time it is exactly as I expected it to be...
Then there is the thing about moving from 16 colours to a whopping 256 -on screen at the same time- now THAT was exciting! Those were the days....

Hum, I believe that nostalgia is strange thing...

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 07:37:10 pm »
Woo Woo! A coffeetable book! And people here at my work think that I take my hobby too seriously... I'd love to see that one!

Hehe.. I saw one of those online book printers has an oversized option available so it got me thinking. Here's a thread with images of the whopping coffee table book size, mocked up with my project. ;)

one friend read one bit, another friend saw a picture somewhere and in our minds those little bits of information melted into a big speculation of how awesome it was going to be!

That pretty much nails it.

So here's another homage ad. This one's considerably rougher. Since it was slapped together as a test in Illustrator it needs to be redone in a page layout app. All the kerning needs adjustment as do the columns and gutters...much of the artwork too. Plus the layout.. Ooops, apparently the spelling too...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 11:30:23 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 08:02:15 pm »
....and age progressed to feel like it was picked up on ebay long after it's glory days.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 11:32:05 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

XtraSmiley

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 09:29:46 pm
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 12:48:49 am »
Very, very cool!
hearingprotectionBIGDOG@yahooBIGDOG.com

Kill the Dog man.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 11:19:33 am »
Hehe.. I saw one of those online book printers has an oversized option available so it got me thinking. Here's a thread with images of the whopping coffee table book size, mocked up with my project. ;)

Hmm, I dwell too much in #artwork, so I miss a lot of nice threads in #main and #project announcements...  :-\

MyPublisher looks like a great service. So, if I understand correctly, you download software, create a book out of pictures and hit the 'order' button? I can't find if they do international orders (since I'm in the Netherlands). Anyway, I'll keep this one in mind, might need it someday  ;)

So here's another homage ad. This one's considerably rougher. Since it was slapped together as a test in Illustrator it needs to be redone in a page layout app. All the kerning needs adjustment as do the columns and gutters...much of the artwork too. Plus the layout.. Ooops, apparently the spelling too...

JDSkydiver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2006, 06:28:35 pm
  • Go Irish!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 04:56:19 pm »
Pixel:

I'm assuming you have seen this...

http://www.arcadeflyers.net/?page=flyerdb

Might give you some ideas.  I think I've downloaded every one and created a binder with all of them printed on 8.5 x 11" laser prints.  They look great and are fun to look at.  I use it as a sort of hand held MENU BOOK to pick whay games we want to play on my cabinet!

JDSkydiver

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 11:36:57 pm »
Pixel:

I'm assuming you have seen this...

http://www.arcadeflyers.net/?page=flyerdb

Actually, no I hadn't. Thanks for the link... that does have me thinking. Ironically enough, I've always ignored the flyers in Mame. But after thumbing through some of those and thinking about your menu book I think I may incorporate some into my 3D Arcade skin. I think it'd be really cool to have them posted around the FPS arcades, like giant life size posters. I'm going to be doing the same to the homage ads I make as well. Hehe... so many tweaks, so little time.
Project mega thread HERE

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm

Living the delusional lifestyle.

JDSkydiver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2006, 06:28:35 pm
  • Go Irish!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 05:33:50 pm »
Hey, I'm just glad I finally got to contribute SOMETHING to this board that has helped me so much!

And the binder full of Fliers does look great!  And keeps guests from spending too much "playing time" browsing the Front End to figure what to play...

JDSkydiver

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 11:48:07 pm »
Getting artwork ready for my site launch in *ducks* september - so I updated the spread images here. And age progressed the single page ad. *continues to take hobby too seriously* I found a cool trick in Photoshop to add texture like this -
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 11:49:55 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 07:27:17 pm
  • If we weren't all crazy we would go insane... JB
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 11:54:03 pm »
I found a cool trick in Photoshop to add texture like this - 

Hey pixel,

You ever try using lighting effects.  Definitely more steps then the above technique but you can get some amazing 3d looks.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 11:57:08 pm »
I've only tried them as spotlights/highlights. Is there a way to combine them with an image to highlight texture? Like Z-mapping or something?
Project mega thread HERE

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 07:27:17 pm
  • If we weren't all crazy we would go insane... JB
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 12:18:10 am »
Copy you're crumpled up paper image and paste it as a new layer in your channels.  Go into render lighting effects and choose the channel you created as the texture channel and then play with the settings.

Check it out.

xonix_digital

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2016, 04:36:05 pm
  • I am the Milky-Way Commander!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 10:49:37 pm »
hehe

Is the name of your cab going to be "Mission Control". or "Radical Max"?

lol Just wondering!  ;D

-=XD=-