Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Space Invaders?? Artwork anyone?  (Read 12090 times)

stevodevo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2022, 11:27:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Space Invaders?? Artwork anyone?
« on: March 23, 2005, 03:10:34 pm »
Can anyone point me to a site that has the artwork for space invaders?  OR does anyone here have this artwork on their PC that they could email or send me somehow?  I'm looking for sideart, CP, marquee - just anything and I'd like to be able to take it somewhere locally and get it printed.

I can get a low-res jpg from anywhere but I'm hoping someone has done this before and has some good quality artwork that I can blow up and get printed or whatever.

Thanks!

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
Re: Space Invaders?? Artwork anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 03:35:17 pm »
Looks like the CPO is scanned in/vectored...

http://www.localarcade.com/arcade_art

Search for 'invader'..  You'll also find one of the characters from the side art..  As for everything else, I don't know...

rohan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2011, 08:24:04 pm
  • I'm a winner.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 04:12:02 pm »
Attached is a somewhat compressed photo I had for reference that's not in the Library. 
It doesn't matter if you win or lose....it's how you play the videogame.

stevodevo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2022, 11:27:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 11:29:52 am »
Hey do you have the file that was used to print that out?  I guess I'm hoping someone has a good clean image I can use to print out fullsize without having to clean it up myself!!   ;D

Hey why reinvent the wheel, right?

Thanks for the image though - that's a start!

rohan

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a winner.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 04:40:52 pm »
The original source file was about 1.2 megabytes and from a 4 megapixel camera...i.e. not much better or good enough for a full size printout...If you'd still like it for reference, PM your e-mail...The picture was taken at a local arcade and I can go photograph it in parts if a talented person is inclined to stitch, fix, and possibly vectorize it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 05:19:17 pm by rohan »

zorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2022, 09:00:38 am
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 02:19:13 am »
The original source file was about 1.2 megabytes and from a 4 megapixel camera...i.e. not much better or good enough for a full size printout...If you'd still like it for reference, PM your e-mail...The picture was taken at a local arcade and I can go photograph it in parts if a talented person is inclined to stitch, fix, and possibly vectorize it. 

if you can end with a good source material I may be the one inclined ;)

I'm on the planning stage

rohan

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a winner.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 05:37:14 am »
I'll be taking many close-ups of the SI bezel in about a week...You'll have a whole bunch o' stuff to work with...Also, check your e-mail for that stargate cocktail cpo...

zorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 08:02:45 am »
thank's

rohan

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a winner.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 07:31:19 pm »
Close-ups of the bezel has been sent...One question though...Why is your newest submission to the library called a Space Invaders CPO?  It looks like the screen overlay from what I've seen...I've never seen a cpo like you submitted...
The cpos and overlay should look like this from what I understand:

zorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 01:54:33 am »
It looks like the screen overlay from what I've seen...I've never seen a cpo like you submitted...
The cpos and overlay should look like this from what I understand:

your're right, it's an error. I will correct it right now, done.
thank's for pointing this incoherency

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 07:26:57 am »
I'll bump this one, since it's still a hard to find thing on the net.
I'm looking for the folowing:
- Image behind mirror suitable for reproduction
- CP layout US and JP, either a high res pic to trace, or a vector one.
Anyone who knows a place to find these without dead links (I ran into many dead links searching the BYOAC archives).

zorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 03:21:03 pm »
check MAME Artwork project, vectorlib and emdkay :: Arcade Artwork Share; File sharing & user-contributions thread you will find quite everything you're looking for :D

emdkay

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2019, 09:53:25 pm
  • Authentic & Repro Arcade Artwork & Bartop Cabinets
    • EMDKAY - Authentic & Reproduction Arcade Artwork
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 06:23:40 pm »
Yea, what zorg said   :)  There are a bunch of Space Invaders files in the artwork share. 
EMDKAY.net - Your Original Source for Authentic & Reproduction Arcade Artwork, Arcade & Mame Marquees, and Home Arcade Bartop Cabinets
Improve the lives of children with toys and games through Emdkay & Child's Play! - See specially marked products.

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 02:34:09 am »
I found all 3 of them already, tried them, but they do not contain what I look for.
Its like this image:

And then the whole image suitable for reproduction (300dpi at the full 60cm width or so). In real it is much wider (the game almost feels like a widescreen game because of this, even if the monitor is a vertical), and the shape is not a perfect rectangle, but it is slightly curved. I was wondering if someone scanned it flat out of the SI machine. Most images are too dark too. It is dark because of the dark cabinet, not because the image is dark.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:36:26 am by Blanka »

Mr. Do

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 12:56:39 am
  • MAME Art Editor
    • Mr. Do!'s Arcade
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 07:37:30 pm »
I found all 3 of them already, tried them, but they do not contain what I look for.

You sure?  Below is the backdrop that is contained in the current MAME artwork.  It's not FULL full size, but I can send you the full size if needed.  Is this what you're looking for?

RELAX and just have fun.
Remember, it's all about the games.

Mr. Do!'s Arcade

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 02:50:16 am »
That image looks not like the one I posted. The colours and picture are roughly like the background image in the picture 2 posts above, but the moon is almost twice as wide as the reflection in real. Your PNG looks like a paletted 2-bit version of some background, and I can't even see the moon. I'm just looking for the image to reproduce the real backdrop for a replica machine.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:52:01 am by Blanka »

zorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 05:25:34 am »
real backdrop is composed of 2 parts in the real machine  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

backdrop with the galaxy + the moon on top of the blacklight mounting frame.

replica should be made the same way  :laugh2:

Mr. Do

• Offline Offline
  • MAME Art Editor
    • Mr. Do!'s Arcade
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 08:39:54 am »
That image looks not like the one I posted. The colours and picture are roughly like the background image in the picture 2 posts above, but the moon is almost twice as wide as the reflection in real. Your PNG looks like a paletted 2-bit version of some background, and I can't even see the moon. I'm just looking for the image to reproduce the real backdrop for a replica machine.

"... a paletted 2-bit version of some background..."    ???

Sorry, but have you ever seen a complete Space Invaders machine?

The image you posted is the backdrop artwork from the older version of MAME, and was created YEARS ago, back when MAME's artwork capabilities were "not as advanced."

The image I posted is a copy of the ACTUAL SCAN of the backdrop from a Space Invaders cabinet.  The actual backdrop is a dark blue; when the light inside the cab shines on it, it will look a different color.

The moon is a separate piece, that sits in front of the backdrop, but still behind the reflected image.  See below... (which is a copy from a SCAN of the actual moon)

Play the game in MAME (a current version, not some pre-0.106 version), turn off bezels, and you'll see the image "you're looking for," which is created with two pieces of artwork.

RELAX and just have fun.

Mr. Do!'s Arcade

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 10:24:50 am »
Yes, and I want to clone it. I don't get why MAME is in every now and then post. If it is 2 pieces in real, one lighted with blacklight, then I want to have two pieces. I could not tell it were too when I was playing the original one last week. Can someone shine light on how the real cab is made and what artwork is in there? Preferably with 1to1 scale 300 dpi or vector art.

Mr. Do

• Offline Offline
  • MAME Art Editor
    • Mr. Do!'s Arcade
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 04:23:11 pm »
Yes, and I want to clone it. I don't get why MAME is in every now and then post. If it is 2 pieces in real, one lighted with blacklight, then I want to have two pieces. I could not tell it were too when I was playing the original one last week. Can someone shine light on how the real cab is made and what artwork is in there? Preferably with 1to1 scale 300 dpi or vector art.

Please, can another BYOACer or KLOVer help this gentleman in his situation, since I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and make sure Blanka gets his 1 to 1 scans of the artwork, because I guess the 1 to 1 scans that I have aren't good enough.

RELAX and just have fun.

Mr. Do!'s Arcade

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 01:45:51 am »
Sorry mr. Do. Maybe your full size is what I need, but the small one is looking very different to what I saw at the GameOn expo last weekend. Maybe they have a fake cab. Guess that is it. The problem is still that there is nowhere either a AI file or a bitmap that is least say 3600x2000 pixels or so (24 inch wide 150 dpi is around 3600 pixels!). Don't get it why you guys are so unfriendly. I'm the one trying to understand it, and from this topic right now, I don't get how the SI cab is made at all. You have to admit its pretty confusing.

Next question then:
Can someone make a picture of his real SI cab that peeks into the screen and shows a bit of the layer/mirror setup. Maybe it helps to understand why you guys think I'm stupid.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 02:19:44 am »
I don't get how the SI cab is made at all. You have to admit its pretty confusing.

Have you looked at the Space Invaders manual yet? I believe it has an exploded parts view that might assist you.

Mr. Do

• Offline Offline
  • MAME Art Editor
    • Mr. Do!'s Arcade
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 02:32:54 am »
Sorry mr. Do. Maybe your full size is what I need, but the small one is looking very different to what I saw at the GameOn expo last weekend. Maybe they have a fake cab. Guess that is it. The problem is still that there is nowhere either a AI file or a bitmap that is least say 3600x2000 pixels or so (24 inch wide 150 dpi is around 3600 pixels!). Don't get it why you guys are so unfriendly. I'm the one trying to understand it, and from this topic right now, I don't get how the SI cab is made at all. You have to admit its pretty confusing.

Next question then:
Can someone make a picture of his real SI cab that peeks into the screen and shows a bit of the layer/mirror setup. Maybe it helps to understand why you guys think I'm stupid.

*breathe*

Sorry I got snappy earlier, but...

Three of us told you where to find the proper files for the backdrop artwork, you said we were wrong, we explained again, you said we were still wrong, and we're the unfriendly ones? 

Anyway, go to this thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=98344.0

... and request these two files:

U:\Arcade Artwork Database\S\Space Invaders\space-invaders-moon.psd
U:\Arcade Artwork Database\S\Space Invaders\spaceinvaders_backgroundart_2.psd

Here is a website where someone restores a SI Deluxe cab.  It is laid out the same way as a regular Space Invaders.  Warning, though, lots of pics that load REAL slow:

http://www.2coinsperplay.com/Games/SI%20Restore/My%20SPACE%20INVADERS%20Rebuild%20Project/SI%20Project%20HTM/MIDWAY%20SPACE%20INVADERS%20RESTORATION%20PROJECT.html

RELAX and just have fun.

Mr. Do!'s Arcade