Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Virtual Jukebox finished!  (Read 24301 times)

VMJ Team

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2007, 09:29:50 am
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
Virtual Jukebox finished!
« on: November 07, 2002, 10:54:19 am »
Just finished my jukebox project.  It uses custom software "Virtual Jukebox"...which has been revised due to number responses.  The software now defines albums based on a directory structure of (ARTIST-ALBUM-TRACKS).

The Jukebox uses a 533 Mhz PC with 15" flat panel LCD monitor.

http://www.cybertechdesign.net/software/Jukebox/index.htm

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
Re:Virtual Jukebox finished!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 11:48:59 am »
Looks good.  Took me a minute to realize it was a tabletop tho....(didn't read part about 15" LCD).  Understand all the ports, but why the phone jack?  

I'm looking forward to building my own Jukebox....would like to have something bigger than the tabletop, but I think that would take a lot more design.  Anyway, nice job.

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2011, 03:30:33 pm
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2002, 03:38:02 pm »
My guess would be so that the songs/software can be updated no matter where the box is installed.  Most places have at least a phonejack that they could connect so that the box can be on the network to accept small software updates, or maybe even a few songs.  Great work scott, keep up the good work.  To everyone else, if you havent seen www dot mameroom dot com, you should really check it out.  This guys work is incredible!

ED7

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2002, 07:10:38 pm »
I just realized.... IT'S SITTING ON A TABLE!  :o

I guess when it grows up it'll be a juke box.
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2002, 07:35:20 pm »
I think it is a pretty good idea.  What is the use in having a huge arcade, when a bartop will do.  Of course this doesnt apply to MAME cabinets!  Bigger is usually better.

ED7

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 07:49:02 am »
I don't necessarily agree...If I were to make my arcade cabs a little smaller, I could have more room in my gameroom for something else....if have all the room in the world...knock yourself out with Jurrassic machines...

But all this thing does is select and play music...no need for it to be taking up ungodly amounts of space.  It's now attached to a wall in my living room..if it were any bigger...I'd have to put it somewhere else.  Sort of like computers...back in the day, they used to take up entire rooms...Great things do tend to come in smaller packages.   But, of course, it is all a matter of preference...I tend to lean on the side of technology instead of nostalgia...but then again, I also don't have much room in my house.

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 08:24:06 am »
I can agree there.  Either way, the thing looks amazing!  Keep coming up with those inovative ideas!

ED7

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 08:32:56 am »
Thanks...I actually started to build a sit-down cab, but scrapped it for this...maybe the sit-down will be a project for next year.

Dink

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 11:20:43 am »
Very, very nice!

But dude, you need to pay some "Bills". :)  ;D

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 11:22:19 am »
Excellent work!  I was fooled by the size at first, too.... but good things come in small packages.  Very nicely done!

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2002, 12:13:16 pm »
Understand all the ports, but why the phone jack?  

I'm not sure why he has one, but on my cockpit I used the dialup modem quite a bit. Just before I moved from Baton Rouge to Lafayette, I took a lightning strike on the phone line. That took out my main PC and alot of other stuff.

So for about 3 months after I moved I actually worked out of my cockpit, checking the web every morning for that days jobs and closing them every night. But I finally did get DSL and another computer. And the funny thing was I had no need for the modem when I put an external jack on it. So you never know exactly what you will end up doing when you build your machine. And a little work now can save alot of work later.

And while I'm on the cockpit subject... I have found out that I'm not moving to Chicago, or at least not for a while. Seems I may have cut up the World's First MAME Cockpit for nothing.  ??? But at least I have parts now for Cabinet 3.0!
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2002, 01:07:16 pm »
The modem is primarily used for gathering track information.  I use a program called "FreeRip" to extract audio tracks from CD's.  Most older CD's do not have a TOC which display track, album ,artist information.  FreeRip automatically goes out on the internet and grabs track titles, artist, and album info so you don't have to manually name each track file.  The Cat-5 Jack is used to transfer info to and from my laptop.  I have triple T1's at work...so I usually do my downloading there...transfer it to my laptop, take it home and transfer stuff (mp3's) into the jukebox.  The 1/8" stereo jack was supposed to be to hook up external speakers...or to a stereo (as an option), but when I hooked up the y-adapter to my sound card...the sound would cut out (anyone know a way around this?)....so I just hooked that jack up to the microphone jack on the sound card....plug in a mic and you have kareoke (not me...my voice sux, but my daughter likes it).  The USB jack is also used to download stuff from my digital camera....I can take photos of album covers and get a good enough quality pic to download into the jukebox.

Rockin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2003, 01:01:47 pm
    • Butler 2001
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2002, 02:24:11 pm »
I think your software rocks, currently setting it up so my music library is compatible.  My quesiton is, what happens after album 99, it seems like your program is expecting only a 4 digit input.  Just looking ahead, I just finished getting my "A" list done and am at Album 19 so I know I will hit 100 shortly.  

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2002, 03:20:56 pm »
I was wrong when I said VJ supported unlimited albums...due to a change in the method to select albums...the album number was limited to 99 albums...I created a quick fix by adding another digit to the selection...for now, it will support 999 albums, but I'm working to make this unlimited.

The track selection does NOT have to be 5 digits:
for example:

To play Album 002 : Track 03
You could type "203" or "0203" or "00203"....

The updated program can be downloaded here:
http://www.cybertechdesign.net/software/Jukebox_Setup.zip

or just the executable

http://www.cybertechdesign.net/software/Virtual Jukebox.exe

Lord_Hutt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2002, 11:54:22 pm
  • They all float down here, Georgie!
    • Arcade Solutions
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2002, 10:17:52 am »
NICE!! This is just about exactly what I was looking for.

Couple questions.
When I try to view in full screen it just puts 2 cd covers on the far left and nothing on the right and if you try to scroll they are like jumbled together on the left side.  The jukebox still plays songs if you punch in the numbers but you can shuffle through the cd's.  If I resize back to the smaller screen after this happens it does the same thing.....except that it will shuffle through the cd's but there will be only 2 visible on the left side.
(heh....I hope I made that clear :-)

Another thought I had was (and I know this will give it less of a jukebox feel so some people may not want it.....perhaps you could have 2 versions or just an option to shut it off)  but until I build a jukebox I will be using this on my pc and would'nt mind if there were buttons on the interface for the function keys i.e. mute, pause, skip track etc.

One more thing....I really want to use a touchscreen when I do build my jukebox.  There has been discussion around here that they work just like clicking a mouse so your program would really do the trick....it is alot like the Rowe commercial jukebox that I was trying to find software for. Just wanted to know if you or anyone else can confirm that this would work.

Ahh, one more thing.  Have you had any thoughts about putting a credit accepter on it (with freeplay option) for a more complete jukebox feel?

Thanks for the great software!!

Andy Desak

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2002, 03:27:35 pm »
I should be able to tell you later today if a touch screen works. I'm working on setting up a computer with one right now. I'm having trouble getting the sound card to work. There is no reason why the touchscreen shouldn't work perfectly. In full screen mode you can use the mouse but the mouse cursor is hidden. This is exactly what you'd want for a touch screen.

I'm not having trouble with scrolling cd covers but I did have trouble with win2k. I tried loading it on 3 different win2k professional and every time I ran setup it told me it needed to upgrade system files and reboot. I did that and it told me the same thing again. The first XP pro system I put it on it worked right off the bat.

Back to working on my sound card, I'll post an update later tonight or tommorrow.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Lord_Hutt

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Solutions
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2002, 04:53:21 pm »
Well, I got the fullscreen working.  Instead of selecting view full screen after the program is running I selected start up fullscreen and it worked.

Looking forward to hearing your touchscreen results....can you give me some info on the touchscreen you are using? Such as, size, brand, cost, lcd or crt.  

Thanks.
Andy

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2002, 03:39:07 am »
I fixed my sound card problem. The mother board had a sound chipset on it but did not have the daughterboard on it to actually plug speakers into it. Once I disabled that I was able to get the new sound card working.

The touchscreen is incredible with this software, its definately the way to go.  The only complaint I could have is the buttons are a little small on my 15" monitor. You can also play the songs directly by touching them with your finger but they are even smaller. Even with that I am EXTREMELY  ;D happy with how it works.

The touch screen I am using came out of a gift registry where I work.
http://hower.us/ebay\IMG_7280.JPG. In the middle of that picture you should see a gift kiosk. I'm going to cut that down so that its just the width of the monitor and about 3 foot tall and make that a jukebox. The monitor doesn't have a case on it since its built for mounting into a cabinet so its perfect for this with a nice bezel on the front. The monitor was made by a company called ELO who makes some great touch screens. Its reather large, not much bigger height and width than the 15" screen but its about 18"s deep.

I'll get better pictures of the monitor and kiosk tomorrow and post them. Its 3:30am and I need to go to bed...  :P
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2002, 01:28:47 pm »
Is there anyway to install the software manually?  I am trying to install under Windows 98SE and the install program stops responding during the final update and never completes the install.   I shut everything else down and have tried to install on Drive D: and C: but it still hangs up.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BobA

Tried it on another computer with W98SE and it hung up in the final part of the install again.    When try to run the application it gives me a fault with msdxm.ocx.  That is about all I have found out so far.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2002, 05:20:41 pm by BobA »

Lord_Hutt

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Solutions
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2002, 01:30:00 pm »
I fixed my sound card problem. The mother board had a sound chipset on it but did not have the daughterboard on it to actually plug speakers into it. Once I disabled that I was able to get the new sound card working.

The touchscreen is incredible with this software, its definately the way to go.  The only complaint I could have is the buttons are a little small on my 15" monitor. You can also play the songs directly by touching them with your finger but they are even smaller. Even with that I am EXTREMELY  ;D happy with how it works.

The touch screen I am using came out of a gift registry where I work.
http://hower.us/ebay\IMG_7280.JPG. In the middle of that picture you should see a gift kiosk. I'm going to cut that down so that its just the width of the monitor and about 3 foot tall and make that a jukebox. The monitor doesn't have a case on it since its built for mounting into a cabinet so its perfect for this with a nice bezel on the front. The monitor was made by a company called ELO who makes some great touch screens. Its reather large, not much bigger height and width than the 15" screen but its about 18"s deep.

I'll get better pictures of the monitor and kiosk tomorrow and post them. Its 3:30am and I need to go to bed...  :P

Sounds great, Dude!  Let us know when you get it running and have some more pics!

Lord_Hutt

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Solutions
Re:Virtual Jukebox finished! more questions for CyberPunk
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2002, 01:36:56 pm »
Where did you get the arrow and number buttons that you used?

One more suggestion if you dont mind me nitpicking :-)
Can you make so when you go to add more cd's that it remembers the last directory you used?
Not a major thing but probably something easy to do.

Thanks again for the awesome program!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2002, 06:14:04 pm »
Ok heres some pics of the kiosk I'm going to cut down and of the touch monitor I am using.

Heres the monitor, right now I have it hooked to a book PC but its running the music from my server. I have almost 1TB of raid 5 storage on my server so I'd rather keep my music there.

As you can see the monitor is designed to be mounted in a cabinet so this is perfect for it.

Heres a pic of the kiosk with the monitor removed-

The top is going to come off completely, so it'll be about 3 foot tall and I'm pretty sure I can re-use that plastic front.

Heres a pic with the bottom half of the cabinet rolled out, its basically on inline skate wheels.

Basically I'm going to wrap this frame and then the jukebox will be basically about as wide as the monitor.

In my opinion they way overbuilt these cabinets. Theres $50 worth of hardware on this thing that I can re-use in other projects. Nice vents, a window in the top to let in lights, a fan in the bottom, hinges, locks, and latches.

The best part, I got 2 of them free!  ;D

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2002, 06:24:22 pm »
The arrow buttons are low profile illuminated triangle buttons from happ controls...all the buttons are happs.  I went to Pat Catans and found small adhesive letters for the numbers on the buttons.  I was going to put a coin acceptor in the thing, but there is literally no more room inside the box....I designed it to be as slim of a profile as possible.  It now hangs on a wall in mh living room.  I'll post pictures tomorrow...

As for the software....after playing with it all weekend...I have found many bugs (including the ones mentioned) and will be correcting them ASAP...If you have any suggestions to make the program better, please let me know.

I'm pretty sure that the current version has a shut down feature (shut downs windows), by pressing the left and right cursors as the same time.  I removed this feature from the newer versions...

TapeWurm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2008, 12:47:20 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2002, 08:51:02 pm »
I had the exact same prob with WinME. Registered the ocx files manually and everything. Nothing worked. Anyway, I extracted the files from the cab file and then downloaded a replacement msdxm.ocx file. Once I replaced my previous copy of the file, it worked perfect. I downloaded the file from:
http://www.martin2k.co.uk/vb6/ocxs/msdxm.zip
Had to boot to command prompt in order to replace the file since it was constantly in use by windows too.
Hope this helps.

Is there anyway to install the software manually?  I am trying to install under Windows 98SE and the install program stops responding during the final update and never completes the install.   I shut everything else down and have tried to install on Drive D: and C: but it still hangs up.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BobA

Tried it on another computer with W98SE and it hung up in the final part of the install again.    When try to run the application it gives me a fault with msdxm.ocx.  That is about all I have found out so far.
[url=http://]]][url]]http://

TapeWurm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2002, 09:00:22 pm »
Just want to say that this program is almost EXACTLY what I have been imagining for a custom jukebox. Do want to let you know that there was a installation problem in my WinME. Constant file error message (see my reply to another user's problem with the same issue). Anyway, I appreciate your great effort but am curious if some of these ideas may ever be incorporated.
1: Can the video player play or will it ever play vid files other than wmv files? Such as mpgs? avi? etc.. mpgs are so much easier to find, although conversion is easy too.
2: If I had 400 albums to scroll through, is there a quicker way to get to say, album 127 or whatever. Is there a way to jump to an album? If not, perhaps a small search bar so finding "Beatles Anthology" or "Metallica" would be easier? I know I can key the number directly, but that would take knowing a certain song was on album 127, track 4.
3: I have MP3s with file names like artist-title. These can be long and the program doesnt show the whole title. Can it scroll to see the whole thing?
Thanks for all yout help and answers and thaks for the AWESOME program!

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2002, 07:33:41 am »
All of the suggestions in this thread are excellent suggestions (which will be added-probably today).  As for the installation issues...I'm using the standard Deployment Wizard for VB.  I've encountered problems before and will create a new setup program for the software using Install Shield...this should correct the install problems.  Once I have final pictures of my jukebox up on my site...I'll let everyone know when they can check it out (if interested).

TapeWurm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2002, 08:37:43 am »
Sounds great! Please be sure to post whenever there's an update! Can't wait to get it!!!!!

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2002, 09:35:15 am »
Virtual Jukebox update:

I've updated the program with the following features:

1)  Pressing left and right arrow at same time will prompt to shut down the PC.

2)  The PAGE UP and PAGE DN buttons will jump to the next page of Albums for faster selection

3)   Added an "interactive" mode....when you TYPE the first three digits of the album, that album will be display full screen for easier viewing.  This feature was created to display longer track names and lists.  This feature is under Options.

4)  Hopefully fixed the install problems (needs to be tested on various platforms)...removed the Windows Media player ocx from install...this means that version 7+ of Windows media player needs to be already installed on the PC.

Future support for:

1) Mpegs and other filetypes is planned
2) Remembering last directory selected.
3) New installation program

The latest setup program can be downloaded from

-or just the executable-

http://www.cybertechdesign.net/software/Virtual%20Jukebox.exe

I've also added a few final pics of my Jukebox hanging on a wall in my living room:

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2002, 09:50:54 am »
One more thing regarding Virtual Jukebox:  I'm a shareware developer (I currently have over 56 programs for download) and I will be adding Virtual Jukebox to my list of shareware relatively soon.  There will soon be a nominal registration fee.  I know this turns alot of people off, but it does help to promote software upgrades...after, wilth ALL of my titles...if a registered user requests a feature to be added...I add it to the next version and give free upgrades to all users.  

Anyways, I appreciate everyones input, suggestions in this forum...everyone who wishes to be a beta tester for Virtual Jukebox will of course receive all versions for FREE (Accepting beta testers today 11/11/02 only).

Please email me at cyberpunk@cybertechdesign.net

Thanks for everyones support.

waveryder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2002, 01:57:55 pm »
I was wondering just how long it was gonna take you to start selling!
Nothing like building up some interest in a project. I E-mail Cyberpunk on the day he first released Virtual Jukebox requesting that he should inform users that the intention of this project was to sell his software. His reply was that he did not require the assistance of "the community" to produce his software. So I would like to congratulate CYBERPUNK on an excellent job advertising his newest product!
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2002, 04:03:06 pm »
Yes, I remember you waveryder.  But I don't remember saying anything along the lines of what you mentioned.  

I think I said something along the lines of:  If $10 bucks is too steep for someone....then I won't be upset if you don't download the software...but for those who do, it's like having your own personalized version...registered users will get there program updates and requests implimented (within reason) at no additional charge.  This is what I do for a living...I'm a programmer.  I don't ask anyone for their services/products for free.

Anyone who has purchased something from me knows the kind of support they get.

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2002, 11:20:26 pm »
Man that is a sweet-looking rig.  Your software has prompted me to actually re-think doing a jukebox myself!

Ted_Striker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 01:28:42 pm
  • Insert Witty Comment Here!
More construction info wanted!
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2002, 12:40:11 am »
Your project looks awesome.  You definately have inspired :)... I started mine yesterday.  I was wondering if you would post a little more construction details.  I was specifically interested in the buttons you used.  you said they were from happ.  would you mind sharing the part numbers? Or maybe even some links? ( I looked on happ but didn't find the arrow buttons.. I probably missed them).  Also in your design did you consider the effects that the magnets in your speakers might have on your computer equipment?  have you noticed any pc glitches when playing the system loud?

More Details, Details, Details on a wonderful project.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2002, 07:33:37 am »
Thanks for the comps...my wife was much more understanding of this project than my arcade cab projects...I looked everywhere for "arrow" buttons and found nothing...but when I did a search for "triangle" buttons...it brought me right back to good 'ol Happs...

http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/710004tx.htm

I wanted to use all illuminated buttons, but that would have added $100 extra to the cost of this thing.  I know that probably doesn't sound like much for a project...but I was on a budget for this one and the ONLY thing I had to buy was the flat panel LCD and the buttons...I had everything else left over from my cab projects.

I'm currently working on the step-by-step construction manual for my Ultimate Arcade II cabinet...If there's enough responses...I might end up making one for the jukebox.  I'm still way away from doing something like that...but I could post dimensions and stuff on the www.mameroom.com website.  In the meantime, if anyone wants the CAD file or dimensions....email me directly at cyberpunk@cybertechdesign.net.

DZuroff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2019, 10:36:44 pm
  • . . . A wizard arrives precisely when he means to.
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2002, 02:44:22 pm »
Excellent job there Cyperpunk!  I am one of the many lurkers here in the forum just absorbing as much information as I can...  I am to the point where I am about to start on my arcade cabinet and your jukebox project has inspired me to eventually build one of my own!  I have to say your jukebox software is the best I have yet to find.  Let me know when the final release is out and where I can mail the check!  :)

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2002, 04:03:20 pm »
Thanks... I just updated the software to include the following features:

1)  Track Search via on-screen keyboard
2)  Option to resize all text/buttons.
3)  Interactive Mode...show selected albums full size
4)  Page Up/Page Dn quick scroll features

The demo version can be downloaded at:

Currently, the registration fee may be sent through ww.PayPal.com to:  Programmer@cybertechdesign.net

More updates to come...

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2002, 06:03:32 pm
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2002, 06:33:08 pm »
Need some help installing on Windows98SE machine.  Same problems as above it locks up in final stage of install.  I did replace the msdxm.ocx file with the one in the link and the prorgram will start-instead of crashing-but I don't have any sound.  Let me know if there's something I can try on my end.  I'm hoping to set this up to display on my big screen tv and make a keypad for my Pronto remote.
Thanks-
Rick Gardner

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2002, 09:35:39 pm »
Hey rgardjr do you get any sound in windows? Can you play mp3's from windows media player?

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2002, 04:52:21 pm »
Hey rgardjr do you get any sound in windows? Can you play mp3's from windows media player?

I think it might be a bit rate problem the mp3 that I was trying to play are encoded at 192 kbs which works for WinAmp, but doesn't look like Media Player supports this bit rate.   Does this sound about right?  I just got it to play back an MP3 encoded at 128 kbs so it looks like it was just a problem with the bit rate not being supported.  

My next question: Is there a way to increase the font size?  I'm pretty sure that the current font is not going to be readable on my big screen.  I saw that there is an option to resize text and buttons-but it didn't look like it was implemented yet.

Thanks-
Rick Gardner

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2002, 02:45:02 pm »
I've updated Virtual Jukebox with some new features...I'm still working on getting everyone's request in, but here's the latest upgrades:

1)  Entering "00" after selecting album plays entire album.
2)  Users can specify font styles, sizes and colors.
3)  VJ remembers window size and position from last loaded.
4)  Credit feature
5)  More customizable options such as (hiding all features)
6)  Added an "Exit" program mode as well as "Shut Down" mode
7)  Quick jump through albums
8)  Remapable Keys, for users with existing cabinets or arcade cabs.

More to come.
For those who already installed the demo, download the executable and copy into the installation directory:
http://www.cybertechdesign.net/software/Virtual%20Jukebox.exe

For the latest setup program, please go here:

Rockin

• Offline Offline
    • Butler 2001
Virtual Jukebox Fonts
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2002, 01:20:59 pm »
I wanted to let everyone know that I have been goofing with the Fonts and at least for me Terminal Font seems to be pretty readable at most resolutions and sizes.  I would be interested in other peoples findings, post em here.

Rodney

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2002, 12:47:04 am »
Cyberpunk you been busy! I think you've included just about every feature that everyones asked for. I thought your software was good before, now its done right great!  8)

Though now that you've implented the ability to do quarters I have to figure a way out to mount a coin door  in my jukebox.

Keep up the great work, any idea when your going to go gold with it?

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2002, 03:20:22 pm »
CyberPunk,

I was going to email you about this, but I figured I might as well post it in case others have the same question:
Currently, the registration fee may be sent through ww.PayPal.com to:  Programmer@cybertechdesign.net
Could you elaborate a little more on what exactly this entails?  Thanks!

txus2002

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2002, 05:10:23 am
  • JUKEBOX FANATIC
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2002, 04:10:42 am »
 ....CyberPunk

...I have tried to install your program in WIN98SE and I CAN

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2002, 10:02:37 am »
My boss couldn't install under 98se either. I think it hangs every time. He updated to media player 9 and it still didn't work.

Rockin

• Offline Offline
    • Butler 2001
Virtual Jukebox Images
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2002, 12:20:55 am »
Hey All,
             Just another ideo to help save some time.  If your using your favorite online music source for album cover images, go with Amazon.  If they have a big picture for the album it will be 300x300, the files on cdnow.com are 170x170.  Just hoping to save someone some time, I am redoing all mine now, while its not that hard, its a waste of time.

Rodney

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2002, 10:20:08 am »
To all those having difficulting installing Virtual Jukebox...I apoligize for the inconvienence.  It appears that Windows SE doesn't like it when other programs try to update it's features (such as Media player).   Did everyone who is having problems download the latest setup file?  I removed media player from the setup in hopes to eliminate this problem.  I'm pretty sure SE installs Media Player 7 anyways (if someone can verify, I'd appreciate it).  Please try the latest download and let me know how it works out.  If you still encounter problems, I will have to create a manual setup routine for SE users.

After some minor testing, I will be officially releasing VJ later today or tomorrow...there have been many updates and features added.

Regarding the registration through paypal...PayPal is currently the only "online" payment method I accept.  To make an online registration payment...Please go to http://www.paypal.com.  If you currently do not have an account, it's completely free to create and setup one.  From there, you can send a payment using a credit card or bank account to this address:  programmer@cybertechdesign.net.  Once the payment is received, you will receive either a registration code to unlock the software or an updated program file.

If there's any questions, please ask:
cyberpunk@cybertechdesign.net

Thanks

Mameham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2005, 01:29:36 pm
  • The Original Home Arcade Machine
    • Mameham
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2002, 10:49:05 am »
Covers covers covers!

Wow this site is awesome for CD Covers... I knew someone out there had to have one...

http://covers.f00.nu

Actually I've discovered some holes in its "cover"age... heh... but the ones it does have are very high quality. :)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2002, 07:49:33 am by Mameham »

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2002, 08:15:00 am »
I've created a new setup program which I hope will correct the problems Win 98SE users are having.  Please download the latest setup program and let me know if you are still encountering problems.  

-Scott (CyberPunk)

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2002, 06:16:18 pm »
Well now I can get Virtual Jukebox to install without crashing, but I can't get the program to run on two different win98 machines.  On one machine that was working fine before I upgraded to latest version it crashes after I opt out at the registration screen.  The second machine will actually start the program, but no luck actually playing a song.  Numbers keys don't work-both via mouse and from keyboard.  Mouse clicks on song don't work either.  The mp3s do play fine with media player so that's not the issue.

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2002, 10:57:29 pm »
Update I tried to install on a third machine and the program just crashes and will never start .  I'm wondering if the problem is similar to what was going on with Lazarus with XP and 98 files not being compatible.  Look at this post for more detail:
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3531
Anyway, I'm really hoping to get this program up and running to use it as a jukebox frontend for my big screen tv.
Thanks-
Rick Gardner

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2002, 09:39:29 am »
I've made some more changes in hopes to cure the 98SE problems...If the latest release does not fix the current issues, I'm afraid I'll have to remove 98SE from the supported platform list.  A couple of users (98SE users) who have been reporting problems have discovered that closing all applications in the task tray (ie, Cinemaster, Anti-virus software, etc...) will correct the problem.  I'm still working very hard on making VJ compatible with 98SE...but since the program is really basic in nature (plays music through Windows media player) I'm not sure what else can be done.  I am still working on this!

BTW - I've redesigned the http://www.mameroom.com website and added more information on current projects.

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2002, 03:41:52 pm »
Here's an update.  I've got it to run on 2  win98 machines by just replacing the msdxm.ocx with a different version as mentioned earlier in this thread.  I'm having a problem on one machine right now getting songs to play, but I've got a few things to try.  I'll report back with more info ...

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2002, 03:50:04 pm »
Since I, and a couple of my beta testers, cannot get any of the mentioned problems to duplicate, it is hard for me to pin-point the problem...There still are quite a few users having difficulties on WIN98SE machines, so please keep me informed.

Thanks

thegadgey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2002, 12:44:20 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2002, 12:46:54 pm »
Just downloaded the demo and it looks great!!

Having a problem with win2k , everything working , selecting tracks , switching between covers etc but no sound . Is this disabled in the demo or have I other problems.
Thanks for any help.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2002, 01:24:19 pm »
There haven't been any reported issues regarding no sound.  Please check which version of MCI32.ocx you have installed.  You can do this by locating the file in the c:\winnt\system32 directory and right clicking on it.  Get properties and click on the version tab.  Also, get the version of Media Player by starting Media Player, go to HELP, and select About.  You need to have at least version 7.0 of Windows Media Player...but I think that comes installed on Win2K.

thegadgey

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2002, 01:48:03 pm »
The mci file is v 6.00.8418

Windows media player version 9.

I've just noticed wmp doesnt even play mp3 ! never noticed as i dont use it to play anything. Guess I'll download an older version now.
Let you know later.

Thanks for the reply .
Gadgey

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2002, 04:11:21 pm »
Well I played around with another Win98 machine this weekend.  Basically, the latest version installs fine.  I had to copy over the MCI32.ocx file with and older version other wise Virtual Jukebox crashes immediately after the initial registration popup message is canceled.  So .... Here's where I'm at right now: 2 Win98 machines that it works on 2 Win98 that it doesn't work on.  My problem is that the only machine I really want the program on is one that it doesn't work on.  The 2 machines that the program doesn't work on are the machines that I started installing older versions on-which last week I think there were 3 or 4 revisions that I tried.  My feeling is that a Win98 file got overwritten by one compatible with XP and that is causing my problem.  Is there anywhere that I can find what files could have been overwritten in a previous install.  I remember during one install in the machine in question that it asked if I wanted to overwrite a file which I said o.k. to.   The problem on the machine that doesn't work is that I can't enter any song numbers or select songs with the mouse.  Is there some kind of script file somewhere that lists files that are to be copied during installation?  Any suggestions short of reinstalling Win98?

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2002, 10:10:59 pm »
When I've installed it and it prompted me to overwrite a file or keep the existing newer file I've always told it to keep the newer existing file. This has always worked for me. My boss has had trouble repeatdly installing it with win98, I'll find out if he's keeping the newer existing file or letting it overwrite.

thegadgey

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2002, 07:47:11 am »
Got it working now Sound even!
My media player is fkd up but who cares.

thegadgey

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2002, 08:03:36 am »
Jesus this paypal system is crap! Just tried to register using paypal .
Now i have to go through a big huge long winded effort to change my credit card!
Cyber why don't you use a payment system like Shareit.com they are especially for software developers and so much simpler for customers.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2002, 08:06:13 am »
I'm starting not to like WIN98.  Are all the machines having difficulting WIN98SE??  I've tried on several machines with WIN98 2nd edition and ME and can't reproduce these problems, which makes it very difficult to try to find the problem to fix it.  The files that get installed are listed in the SETUP.LST file in the older installation program and here's a list of files being installed in the newer version (I'm only listing system files and DLL's...the other font files and such wouldn't affect anything).

Windows System Files:
--------------------
COMCAT.DLL   
ASYCFILT.DLL
OLEPRO32.DLL
OLEAUT32.DLL
msdxm.ocx

Visual Basic Files:
-------------------
MSVBVM60.DLL
RICHED32.DLL
Richtx32.ocx
MCI32.OCX
comdlg32.ocx
mscomctl.ocx
tabctl32.ocx
SPR32X30.ocx

The windows system files are included in every installation program I've ever made (Except the Windows Media Player) and I've never had any of the problem mentioned...so I can't help to think that the Windows Media Player is the culprit.  MSDXM.OCX

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2002, 08:09:59 am »
Gadgetguy:  Sorry about the inconvienience...I've always thought that PayPal was the method of choice... I also like paypal because:  even though there is a longer registration process for new users, they reimburse you by giving you $5 back when you create a new account.  I didn't know about any other services that didn't charge the user a fee to send money, but I will check out Shareit.com.  

Thanks,

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2002, 09:00:45 am »
Paypals the best. Its fees are reasonable for sellers and free for buyers. It takes a little effort to get registered but I'm not sure how you can avoid that with any service. The biggest advantage of the paypal service is that you can easily send money to anyone by registering one time. I dislike having to register with ever website I make a purchase with or even worse sites that I have to fill in all my information every time.

I just checked shareit and their fees are pretty steep. For a $10 program they are going to get 44% of the sale ($3.95+4%).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2002, 09:11:25 am by eightbit »

Mameham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2005, 01:29:36 pm
  • The Original Home Arcade Machine
    • Mameham
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2002, 12:45:33 am »
 Hmmm... Win98SE here too... on every one of my machines... kinda sucks cause I'm registered too... :) hehe. Seriously, the problem I'm having is "Out of Memory" error... even though I have 128Megs+ on this machine ( I used to have 256M then I thought it was a memory problem so switched in 192M )... and my other machine has 128M...
 I wonder... could it be a graphics issue? My graphics seem to get corrupted sometimes... like problems switching pages... Also, might it be upset that I have a lot of folders without covers in them and a lot of folders with only 1 song in them? 1700 songs total, but only 225 artists...

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2002, 09:28:10 am »
Ham, try itwith less songs.Try  a library with just a couple of abums. Could be you have a bad album cover or something killing it.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2002, 01:14:40 pm »
Virtual Jukebox version 1.0.86 is released....many features added and bug fixes:

Volume Control
Progress Meter
Advanced Controls for Touch-Screen users.
....pretty much everthing everyone has suggested so far.

http://www.cybertechdesign.net/software/Jukebox/vj_updates.htm

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2002, 10:21:38 am »
Well finally some good news to post ... I bit the bullet again and installed XP.  The only problem was that my old STB vid card lost TV output under XP-I couldn't find any drivers that would support tv out in XP.  So I bit the bullet again and stole a newer Matrox G450 out of my mame cabinet that did have tv output under XP.  So I'm finally up and running on my big screen.  When I get some more time I'll make a remote up for my Pronto.  I'll post some pics a little later.  Very impressive the way the suggestions have been implemented.  I've got a quick question-the accept button-Shoud it act like the enter key press?  When I click accept after entering a track number nothing happens, but if I hit the enter key it starts playing or adds the song to the pending play list.
Thanks-
Rick

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2002, 10:33:18 am »
I fixed this accept key problem in the latest version.

http://www.cybertechdesign.net/software/Jukebox/vj_updates.htm

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2002, 03:55:10 pm »
I'm not sure if you mentioned this before or if anyone else has asked, but does VJ have support for PC joysticks?  I have some USB wingman warriors that have 4 directions +10 buttons.  It would be great if I could hack one of these for the buttons/input into VJ.  I'm sure some of the other "builders" out there would prefer to do this rather than buy an IPAC (awesome product btw) for 14 inputs.

Let me know....Thanks!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2002, 04:10:17 pm »
I don't know if VJ supports joysticks. I haven't seen it any where in the configuration. But there are programs out there that will convert joystick input to jeyboard presses. I think theres a couple on the download page of this website.

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
Virtual Jukebox On Bigscreen
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2002, 06:11:25 pm »
Here are some pictures of Virtual Jukebox on my TV.  I think it looks great!

Base Line Reference of WindowsXP On The TV

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2002, 06:32:27 pm »
Looks really great.  I notice you are using a wireless kboard.  Have you got a remote control hooked up to the system?

BobA

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2002, 10:12:52 am »
That looks pretty sweet. I think I have that same infrared keyboard and I was never really happy with it. Recently I bought a radio frequency keyboard and mouse from Circuit city for $35 and its 10x better. It doesn't need line of sight to the receiver and its much more consistant.

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2002, 02:23:08 pm »
Looks really great.  I notice you are using a wireless kboard.  Have you got a remote control hooked up to the system?

BobA

I've got a Pronto remote that I use to control everything.  I made a remote for it to control Virtual Jukebox too.  If you're not fimilar with Pronto remotes they're really cool.  They are a touch screen based learning remote.  You can costumize the graphics to make them look however you want.  

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2002, 02:26:23 pm »
That looks pretty sweet. I think I have that same infrared keyboard and I was never really happy with it. Recently I bought a radio frequency keyboard and mouse from Circuit city for $35 and its 10x better. It doesn't need line of sight to the receiver and its much more consistant.

I originally had an RF based keyboard that didn't work very well.  I got the IR keyboard after I bought my Pronto remote.  The keyboard has worked great for me and being IR based means The Pronto can learn its keystrokes.  This is great for virtual jukebox because I can control it with my remote.

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2002, 07:54:36 pm »

rgardjr -  What brand/model wireless keyboard is it?  $35 seems like a great price for a rf keyboard that works well......

rgardjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2002, 08:22:51 pm »
rgardjr -  What brand/model wireless keyboard is it?  $35 seems like a great price for a rf keyboard that works well......

It was actually eightbit that has the $35 RF keyboard

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2002, 08:43:49 pm »

It was actually eightbit that has the $35 RF keyboard

Whoops.....eightbit, brand and model please?

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2002, 01:07:42 am »
I don't know, I'll check later. It was the cheapest one that circuit city sold. RF keyboard with  a rf scroll mouse. I'm not using the mouse since I installed my trackball.

The receiver is the box to the left of the ipac.