Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Queation about laminate  (Read 3524 times)

Brad Lee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
Queation about laminate
« on: November 07, 2002, 08:16:16 pm »
I've been flip/flopping between painting and using coutertop laminate on my sides. I've done some test paint and it just doesn't give me the finish I'm looking for.

I was out looking at the home depot/lowes/menards places and found 30"x144" sheets of gloss black, very close to what I'm looking for. Also, these sheets were like $28

Here's my dilemma- the sheets are 30" but my cabinet is 33" at its widest point. If I were to take a 30"wide sheet and butt it up against the back edge which is straight, I'd be able to cover all but the point of the control panel that is up to 33" wide. For that part(a triangle about 3 to 4" each side) is there any way to cut a piece of scrap the right size, place it and fill so theres no seam visible?

I'm still in debate as I wait for parts to come in so it's not a rush to put a finish on the sides

Brad Lee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
Re:Queation about laminate
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 08:27:57 pm »
Here's a pic to clarify what I'm after

The black area is what a 30" sheet would cover, and the red area is the rest of the side(just a tiny bit now that I actually look at it) which could be cut out of the black scrap

How to make it seamless along the line between red/black?

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2002, 08:37:41 pm »
SO,you are saying you didnt find 4x8 laminate sheets ????
4x8 is like 84"x48" and thats the only way your cabinet looks cool.Trust me...i got a chiping on the botton(minor) but i was so pi$$ed that I ended up buying another 4x8 sheet to finish my side perfectly.putting 2 different pieces is a bad bad idea(if you are picky).also while you are at it,make sure you get the heavy weight matt laminate ;).
2  4x8 sheets would do everything in your cabinet starting from the sides to panel,coin door place,speaker place and everything.
Remember,avoid cheap shots because if you gonna be spending all the money on the cab,WHY not do it right ehh :)?
a pic maybe

Do not rush :P.If you cant find laminate local then order online(usually they roll it then ship it in a box)

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2011, 03:30:33 pm
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 12:03:00 am »
Definately don't use short cuts with laminate.  No use spending that kind of money if you are only going to half-way it.  You can order it from wilsonart.com and they will ship it UPS rolled into a large box, just like they do when shipping it to menards/lowes etc.  4X8 sheets go in the $50 range depending on the colors you choose.

ED7

Ted_Striker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 01:28:42 pm
  • Insert Witty Comment Here!
Check Lowes and Home Depot again!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 01:01:45 am »
They do carry 4x8 sheets at around 45 bucks.  They have black.  Don't do laminate in 2 pieces.... it will look like crap and it will probably start peeling at the joint or you will have excess glue be "pushed" through the seam when you glue them down.