Software Support > DOS/WinCab

DosCab ? Re: Adding songs

(1/2) > >>

Crazy Cooter:
I haven't set up anything yet, I'm just planning some stuff for my parents :angel:.

Chris:
It will rescan all of the folders.  For each file found, it will check to see if it's in the database, and if it has been modified since the last time it was scanned.  If it is new or has been modified, it will be loaded into memory to search for ID3 tags.  This is the time consuming step.  On my test syustem, with 500 songs, the first scan takes about 30 seconds or so; on the next startup, the rescan takes about half a second.

If none of the files are new, and all it has to do is confirm file locations, it can get through very fast.  Make sure you are loading SMARTDRV in your AUTOEXEC.BAT; it'll speed up the indexing process.

--Chris

Crazy Cooter:
Cool, I was thinking "time consuming" meant like 5 minutes or something.  If adding 500 songs takes less than a minute for updating the database, I'm totally cool with that.  I was worried they might panic and think they blew something up if it took a long time.

My parents aren't really computer savvy, that's why I'm looking for something easy to operate for them.  I think your progam fits the bill perfectly.

Dermbrian:

--- Quote from: Chris on March 13, 2005, 01:38:37 am ---On my test syustem, with 500 songs, the first scan takes about 30 seconds or so; on the next startup, the rescan takes about half a second.

--- End quote ---

Must be a nice system you have.  My Micron PC with an AMD Duron at 700Mhz, WindowsME, takes about eight minutes and 15 seconds to index 721 songs the first time.  But less than a second on subsequent loads.

Those 721 songs are just about a fourth of what I will eventually have.

My system is running as clean as it ever has right now, with very little else loaded at startup and plenty of memory.

I don't consider the initial scan anything more than a minor inconvenience.  Adding a CD full of MP3's only means it will take about a minute to add them to the index.

Brian

Chris:

--- Quote from: Dermbrian on March 13, 2005, 01:02:20 pm ---Must be a nice system you have.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version