Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Paid to surf program, $30+/day, just look!  (Read 21501 times)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Paid to surf program, $30+/day, just look!
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2006, 02:21:26 am »
Funny how he hasn't replied to this thread in a very long time. I hope he's happy with his ill-gotten gains.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2006, 07:51:57 am »
Funny how he hasn't replied to this thread in a very long time.

perhaps now he is a brazillionaire and is too good for us.....

Dartful Dodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2006, 12:56:55 pm »
Last time he said he made 4,800 profit and he believed in this investment.

With that kind of gain on a 3,000 dollar investment, he may have tried reinvesting the initial 3 grad, plus the 4,800 to get even more cash.

Hopefully he didn't and we shouldn't judge him either way.  As far as we know he thought he was doing us a favor by telling us about it.

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2006, 06:06:12 pm »
Last time he said he made 4,800 profit and he believed in this investment.

With that kind of gain on a 3,000 dollar investment, he may have tried reinvesting the initial 3 grad, plus the 4,800 to get even more cash.

I seriously doubt that.  He admits on July 19th that he knew that the whole thing was going to go down at some point and he just wanted to get in and out before it did.  Like he said, he "won".  It doesn't sound to me like he was going to put any more money in.

Here's his statement:
I know this is not going to last forever. 

I took the risk of hoping it did not collapse soon enough for me to make profit, which I have. 

I've won, and that was the risk in joining.

The only point he ever admitted that he knew it was going to collapse is after he got his money and concluded that "It looks like nobody on here is willing to take the risk"  Prior to that it was all free money for everybody and lots of gloating "smilies" for the nay-sayers.   

we shouldn't judge him either way.  As far as we know he thought he was doing us a favor by telling us about it.

Yeah, "doing us a favor" but promoting something that would (A) make him more money and that (B) he knew was going to collapse.    Doing us a favor?  ::)   Give me a break.    Anybody he could drag onto the sinking ship (the thing he knew was going to collapse) just meant more money in his pockets. 

What kind of money could be made by bringing new people in?  In one month alone he made $1431 in referral commission:

Initial deposit early this year:  $3,000

Monthly payment amounts thus far (average month would be $900.  months with less indicate I missed surfing a day or two.  months with more indicate I earned referral commission)

$704
$864
$982
$931
$1046
$946
$2331

total earned back ~$7800

profit ~$4800

http://www.emdkay.net/wordpress for payment photos

Interesting final link there.  I just went to it to see his "payment photos"... check them out...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 09:34:02 pm by quarterback »
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

Effayy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2006, 02:09:07 pm
  • Slowest....Cab Builder.... EVER.
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2006, 04:22:42 pm »
I have some Studiotraffic info, and since I'm at the lazy end of a workday, I'll blab on a bit here....

Out of morbid curiosity, I was popping in and reading the Studiotraffic forums once in a while for about last year of it's existence.

Basically it imploded, just like other ponzis.  The influx of new money wasn't enough to maintain the consistantly rising payouts by older members.  Starting in about October 2005 you could start to see people becoming concerned over how they were to receive payment (in some cases the check was in the mail, so to speak).

Around the same time, the company started "hiring" staff and volunteers to help run the site, process payments, moderate forums, etc.  From what I read on anti-ponzi sites, it's a common practice for accumulation of "staff" so in the end if things go dreadfully sour, anyone affiliated with the company could potentially be held accountable.  Something about that just doesn't sound right in my head (I have no clue of the law in this regard), but I'm relaying the info here in case someone else DOES know the thruth behind that statement.

Anyway, As the new year began, the situation became worse, the head guy "John Horan" started becoming reclusive, eventually even the hired staff stopped hearing from him altogether.  In February, most of the members clued in to the fact that the party was over, and it crumbled.

I forget the exact order of things, but bear with me... But I believe the Studiotraffic FORUMS website registration (www.studiotraffic.org/forums) was scheduled to expire in April or close to it, and it was never renewed.  The staff pulled out the pitchforks, the forums became one big victim-fest in the weeks before the registration expired. Everyone cried about the money they lost (newer members obviously).  Many started discussing their legal options, and some members started up new forums for the victims to help each other in this time of need etc etc... Just for the record, I never bothered checking out these new forums. That's too morbid even for me. 

What I found the most interesting, though, was this:  For the longest time, the forums were very highly censored.  If you had any reservations about the studiotraffic program, your post was either deleted by moderators, or the thread was locked.  You weren't allowed to post any external links on the forums at all, etc...  That kind of moderation is typical of ponzis.  Once everything started crumbling, the moderators created a sticky annoucing that since they didn't have faith in the integrity of the program anymore, they wouldn't moderate any of the messages.  THAT is when things got interesting and all hell broke loose.

Ok well, long post, sorry about that.  As I said though, it was a morbid fascination to watch something like that fall.

- FA

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2006, 06:00:56 pm »
The influx of new money wasn't enough to maintain the consistantly rising payouts by older members.

So in a way emdkay's big payouts helped topple this scam.

Three cheers for emdkay!

Hip, Hip...

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2010, 01:14:13 pm »
I know this is an old topic. So in the end this turned out to be a big rip off?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2010, 06:54:34 pm »
You would make more money with online poker.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2010, 06:07:30 pm »
Yeah, read Effay's post.
Old, but not obsolete.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2010, 10:48:37 pm »
So the bottom line is that every "get paid to surf the web" is a scam.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2010, 11:49:53 pm »
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyup

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2014, 02:04:49 am »
It did turn out to be nothing but the usual Ponzi scheme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studiotraffic

A quote from it:

"Studiotraffic is now defunct; its domain names have been taken over by MyFileHut.com. Many of its former members found themselves almost bankrupt as the site shut down without prior warning. The owner of the site <John Horan> disappeared and has not been heard from since."

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2014, 03:40:35 am »
So I hope Saint will put a provision in the rules against advertising such schemes on the forum.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:41:45 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2014, 08:19:45 am »
I had a friend get caught up in the Zeek Rewards ponzi a couple of years ago. He tried to get me to "invest" but after doing some research, I knew something didn't seem right. A few short months later he told me he was having problems getting paid from his initial "investment", which was a few $thousand$. I don't know if he ever got any money back or not, as I was too afraid to ask.

http://behindmlm.com/companies/zeek-rewards/zeeks-top-ponzi-pimps-delaying-victim-payouts/
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2014, 09:02:06 am »
Seems like some don't remember the conga line forum.  I used that specifically as an example in a consumer marketing class about how people would attempt to game any system you invented.

Only one I ever got caught up in was something like collegestudent.com where you got "points" for every e-mail you sent.  The first few people obviously got nice stuff and tons of points, but the rewards and everything went down as more joined.  We were doing crap like running 10 computers at once e-mailing fake addresses using text from Alice in Wonderland.

Far too many hours later, what do I earn?  A plastic bottle opener keychain.  Then my car got broken into and they took the key chain.

:banghead:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:55 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2014, 03:42:30 pm »
Just re-read this whole thread. I wonder if he "upgraded" again before the bubble burst. I bet he did, and lost all that.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #176 on: April 19, 2014, 05:56:31 pm »
Emdkay is still a member. A respected member at that. I bought a marquee from him a couple years back. He should chime in and tell us how it all worked out. Hell, I think we've all been the victim\benefactor of a scam.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2014, 07:40:46 pm »
Eh sometimes it isn't a scam, it's just kind of shadie.  Like back in the 00's when you could sign up so many people for a free offer and get a free ipod?  I've still got my free ipod and zune.  ;)

I do wonder about a person that drags up a 4 year old thread just to say they are right though... even if they are right. 

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2014, 09:57:07 pm »
Eh sometimes it isn't a scam, it's just kind of shadie.

And sometimes it's both...