Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 6 Released  (Read 20709 times)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 6 Released
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2005, 12:29:33 am »
bjrock28.skn sure looks nice!

That skin was donated by Bryce Jeannotte.  I just tried it out at 1600x1200... if I ever build a dedicated juke, I'm probably using this skin at that resolution.  If your monitor and video card will go that high, give it a shot.... :)

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

sWampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2010, 04:23:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2005, 11:09:26 am »
Chris, how about an option to put 2 artists on a strip, where you don't end up with blank strips.

<song 1>
<artist 1>/<artist 2>
<song 2>

Or if you don't like that, maybe just duplicate the song on top and bottom, some reason the blank strip just doesn't look right, to me.

And I've noticed sometimes on my dual monitor XP pro SP2  setup at work, when exit jukebox, it leaves a wincab on the taskbar that you can't close with out ctrl-alt-del kill task.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2005, 12:28:37 pm »
Chris, how about an option to put 2 artists on a strip, where you don't end up with blank strips.

<song 1>
<artist 1>/<artist 2>
<song 2>

Or if you don't like that, maybe just duplicate the song on top and bottom, some reason the blank strip just doesn't look right, to me.
I looked into this once, and it was a pain in the tail to go back and match them up and still keep them in a reasonable alphabetical order.  For a random sort, it would be easy, as I would just need to make a second pass through the stripper.

Making the bottom a dupe of the top, though, would be a simple, easily configurable change.  To keep it from "looking" like a dupe, there could be a third option to dupe the first song from that artist; since the half-label will be the last song, it won't be a true dupe unless you only have one song from that artist.

I have to rewrite the stripper when I add filters, so I may be able to think of some magic then...

And I've noticed sometimes on my dual monitor XP pro SP2
--Chris

sWampy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2005, 01:36:39 pm »

<song 1>
<artist 1>/<artist 2>
<song 2>

I looked into this once, and it was a pain in the tail to go back and match them up and still keep them in a reasonable alphabetical order.  For a random sort, it would be easy, as I would just need to make a second pass through the stripper.

Making the bottom a dupe of the top, though, would be a simple, easily configurable change.  To keep it from "looking" like a dupe, there could be a third option to dupe the first song from that artist; since the half-label will be the last song, it won't be a true dupe unless you only have one song from that artist.

I have to rewrite the stripper when I add filters, so I may be able to think of some magic then...

And I've noticed sometimes on my dual monitor XP pro SP2  setup at work, when exit jukebox, it leaves a wincab on the taskbar that you can't close with out ctrl-alt-del kill task.

Not sure what's causing that at all.  Does it even show up in the process list when you go to end-task?

It may be something in Allegro, and I'm due to update my version of Allegro soon (I'm a couple of revs behind), and I know they've been doing a lot on atexit() stuff.

--Chris

I can't seem to get it to do it with any consistancy, and it doesn't happen very often, maybe 1/20 times it's run.  One of these aweful to track down bugs.   I just thought I would mention it incase someone else has the problem, you would know it wasn't unique.

Main reason I asked about the strips is I seem to have a ton of one hit wonders enough were I would say 1/3 or more of my strips have just one song. ;-/   I think it would look cooler even if you did something like <song2 (reprise)> .  It would be sortof cool to see how long it took my friends to figure out it was the exact same song. ;-)

A sort by song title would also be nice, and if that happened, a artist1/artist2 would be needed for sure.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2005, 09:18:19 am »
Sort by song title would be unworkable in 45-style double label or album label mode.  It could be doable in single label mode.  If you have a ton of one-hit wonders, perhaps one of the single-labels skins is a better fit for you, such as as chrome.skn or aj8.skn.

Right now I'm knee-deep in trying to get album art for CD-label mode in place before I go on vacation starting this weekend, but it's proving trickier than I thought once rotation is taken into account.  You can specify that the art be to the left, right, top, bottom, inside (on the side toward the center of the screen horizontally), outside (away from the center of the screen horizontally), inside vertically, or outside vertically of the track list, which complicates things a bit.  Album art can also be disabled completely.  I'm debating whether or not to work on a mode where the track list is overlaid on top of the album art, but it would require some work and I'm not sure anyone would use it.

--Chris
--Chris

sWampy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2005, 10:44:08 am »
Sort by song title would be unworkable in 45-style double label or album label mode.  It could be doable in single label mode.  If you have a ton of one-hit wonders, perhaps one of the single-labels skins is a better fit for you, such as as chrome.skn or aj8.skn.

Those single song skins just don't look like old time jukebox.  That's the main apeal of wincab.  There are several 50's style resturants around here that have the mini jukeboxes on each table, and most of the strips in them are multiple artists per strip, so eithere someone makes custom jukebox 45's or these mutiple table jukeboxes just simulate 45's with multiple artists on them.   

surf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2011, 11:43:38 am
  • I've built my own arcade!
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2005, 12:03:22 am »
A few ideas...

How about a Geiss(sp) or WhiteCap screensaver...

Using a mouse or touchscreen, selecting the Artist would bring up all of the songs from that Artist?

This is the best Jukebox prog out there.... Keep up the good work!

Surf
Surf

http://www.freewebs.com/homepubarcade
(Just a homemade arcade)

Lave Laar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2022, 06:23:13 am
    • Freeware arcade related programs
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2005, 07:42:15 pm »
Just had a party with doscab as the center of attention.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 03:14:37 pm by Lave Laar »

Johnny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2021, 01:03:14 pm
  • I Want My Own Coctail Cabinet!!
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2005, 08:36:02 pm »

<song 1>
<artist 1>/<artist 2>
<song 2>

And I've noticed sometimes on my dual monitor XP pro SP2
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 08:59:23 pm by Johnny »
Johnny Andersen
 Oslo - Norway

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2005, 01:36:51 am »
There are several 50's style resturants around here that have the mini jukeboxes on each table, and most of the strips in them are multiple artists per strip
But these jukeboxes don't have to keep their labels sorted in any way.  :)
so eithere someone makes custom jukebox 45's or these mutiple table jukeboxes just simulate 45's with multiple artists on them.
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2005, 01:46:12 am »
Just had a party with doscab as the center of attention.
--Chris

froggerman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2015, 03:23:14 am
  • You want how many buttons?!
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2005, 08:58:17 pm »
Hi Chris,

I just installed a new monitor so of course the first thing that I wanted to try was your Beta 6. I just downloaded a new copy, set the music path and launched it.
No problem. Then I thought I should set the resolution and aspect ratio to my new screen size 1920x1200 and 1.6.

Now the application crashes every time I press Esc to exit. So trying to help I set the debug level to 5. Works perfectly every time! Put the debug level back to DISABLED and it starts failing again.

Thoughts?

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2005, 10:01:02 pm »
The problem seems to happen with the default.skn. I was trying bjrock28.skn and it doesn't have the problem.

I also have a couple of questions. When I set UseZero=True the zero is used as the first number instead of the last number. Is there any way to change that behaviour? i.e. The first label has A0 and A1 instead of A1 and A2.

On my real Rock-ola juke box the title strips are numbered differently than they are in WinCan. The first label is A1 and B1. In other words every label in the first column is letter1. A1, B1, C1, D1. Is that a possible?

The reason I am asking is that now that I have a wider display I would like to try a skin that has 5 or 6 columns of labels. The problem is I don't see how I could access the 6th column and if I use 5 columns the 0 seems to be in the wrong place.

I sure do like the new way of laying out the title strips though. It is a breeze!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 11:03:50 pm by froggerman »

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2005, 02:26:11 pm »
The problem seems to happen with the default.skn. I was trying bjrock28.skn and it doesn't have the problem.
Sounds like something's overrunning a buffer.  I don't know of anyone using the juke at this high of a resolution, so we're in uncharted territory.  Can you set back to the default skin and debuglevel=5 and send me the resulting log?  Even if it doesn't crash, it should give me an idea as to what's going on.
I also have a couple of questions. When I set UseZero=True the zero is used as the first number instead of the last number. Is there any way to change that behaviour? i.e. The first label has A0 and A1 instead of A1 and A2.
Not at this time.  UseZero is really meant for numeric keypads, not the alpha-numeric entry method.  Is it really A10 that you need?
On my real Rock-ola juke box the title strips are numbered differently than they are in WinCan. The first label is A1 and B1. In other words every label in the first column is letter1. A1, B1, C1, D1. Is that a possible?
With the standard dual-strip labels, the second song on a strip always increments the second digit, not the first.  It could, of course, be done using the single strips, but I'm sure that's not what you want....
The reason I am asking is that now that I have a wider display I would like to try a skin that has 5 or 6 columns of labels. The problem is I don't see how I could access the 6th column and if I use 5 columns the 0 seems to be in the wrong place.
I take it you're having trouble with the 5 and 6 buttons?  By default, the 5 and 6 buttons above the letters on a keyboard are mapped to coin entry, like MAME, but all of the numbers on the keypad are mapped to their equivalents.  Look in controls.ini and remap to taste.

If that's not the problem, I'm not sure I understand why you can't access the additional columns.
I sure do like the new way of laying out the title strips though. It is a breeze!
Yeah, it was a real pain to lay out skins the old way.  You can use multiple StripGrids, though, so for those who really like laying them out the old way it's still available.... :)
--Chris

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2005, 10:00:36 pm »
1. I will go back to the default skin and send you the log.

2. I was trying to cheat and us A0 rather than A10 but the ideas was that A1 should be the first title. I was pretty sure this was going to be the answer.

3. No, you are the correct. I was just commenting on how a real jukebox is layed out. That is how they are able to access 160 or 200 titles, 10 number and 16 or 20 letters.

4. No problem with the 5 and 6 button, I have that under control. The problem is that the current system uses 1 & 2 for the first column, 3 & 4 for the second column, 5 & 6 for the third column and so forth so you when you get to the fifth colum you only have 9 left, or 10 if that was possible. Is it? Then the sixth colum should be 11 & 12 if this is possible but I didn't think it was. I hope I explained that correctly.

Talk to you soon...

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2005, 11:07:49 pm »
Adding digits 10, 11, 12, etc. is trivial; figuring out how to display a "single digit" 10 and up is going to require some special-casing.

For now, if you have 6 columns, you can use numbers 1-6 and use twice as many letters as you have rows, so the first column of the first row is A1/A2, then A3/A4, then A5/A6, then B1/B2, then B3/--BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--, then B5/B6.  Not perfect, but it'll work.

I got your log, and nothing in it looks out of whack.  The crash-on-exit thing may be something that was fixed in the latest version of the library I'm using.  The fix was just posted today, though, so it may be a bit before I can incorporate it... when it crashes on exit, does it just hang forever, or does it give an error message?

--Chris

--Chris

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2005, 01:26:49 pm »
Hi Chris, don't bend your brain too much on this, I am just poking at the limits of your program and my new display.

So to implement the double letters I set the high letter to double the number of rows I have and the high number to 6?

I looked over the log too and it looks perfect. What happens is that you press the Esc key and the screen goes black, which is normal, but the desktop does not reappear right away. Instead that little Microsoft popup displays asking you if you would like to notify Microsoft that an application has terminated. I had the same problem with one other skin, perhaps the CD one. I created a new test skin and it didn't seem to have any issue.

If there is a new version or something else you would like me to test let me know. By the way if you need testing for large number of songs I can help with that too as I have over 10,000 mp3 right now.

Cheers.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2005, 02:00:15 pm »
So to implement the double letters I set the high letter to double the number of rows I have and the high number to 6?
Right.  High number equal to number of columns, high letter equal to number of rows (not selections, titlestrip rows) times 2 (converted into letter form, of course).
If there is a new version or something else you would like me to test let me know. By the way if you need testing for large number of songs I can help with that too as I have over 10,000 mp3 right now.
Heh.  I'll bet creation of the initial index is ugly with 10,000 songs... :) shouldn't crash, though. <fingers crossed> Paging through it's going to be a bear... save a couple of buttons on the CP for the NextAlpha/PrevAlpha buttons coming in Beta 7.

--Chris
--Chris

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2005, 10:17:27 pm »
The initial index was pretty bad...but scrolling through is pretty fast, remember I use 56 songs per page  ;)

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2005, 01:50:52 am »
save a couple of buttons on the CP for the NextAlpha/PrevAlpha buttons coming in Beta 7.

Aha! NOW we're talking! Glad to see progress is oncoming as always!

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2005, 08:29:02 am »
save a couple of buttons on the CP for the NextAlpha/PrevAlpha buttons coming in Beta 7.

Aha! NOW we're talking! Glad to see progress is oncoming as always!
:)

Well, the PrevAlpha/NextAlpha keys aren't news; I talked about them in http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,34107.0.html.  They're still not working to my satisfaction, though; if your somewhere in the list of artists that start with "A" and press NextAlpha, curently it'll switch to the first page that starts with an artist that starts with B, like The Beatles (the word "The" is ignored), even though the last artist on the previous page might be "The Bangles".  The problem is that if it stops on the previous page, the impression is that you jumped from A to later in A unless you go through all the selections and see the B at the end of the page.  So the behavior that is correct is perceived as incorrect, and the behaviour that's perceived as correct is incorrect.

--Chris
--Chris